1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Exit Interview: Bite my tongue or let it all out?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 3, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I just got "the call" a few moments ago. The job I've been wanting for a while came through. It's big move for me, career wise. I'm absolutely miserable in my current role; biopharma is killing me (ironic, right?).

Part of me says to just give my notice and be quiet about all that I don't like about this job in my exit interview. The other part says to let HR know so they can correct some issues for the next person who's in my role.

What does the all knowing beeb say?

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Be constructive, but never burn a bridge.

3. sharkattack

Of course. Even if I "unload", I'd only do so in a constructive manner. I'd hate for the next person who takes this role to run into the same roadblocks I did. I think all of us at some point want to quit like the guy from "Half Baked" at the hot dog place, but the bio/pharma community is a very small place. I certainly don't want to burn any bridges.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Smile and wave, you might need them down the road.

You're not jesus, you can't save the world, let them figure out their issues. :)

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'd exit gracefully. If you thought they could actually change you would have said something a long time ago, right?

BigBird, Cannoli, Photo and 3 others like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

never miss a chance to burn a bridge :D

thank them for the opportunity, smile and off to great things

BigBird, bacolmm and ChemGuy like this.
  7. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

They've got their way of doing things. Your departure isn't going to be a "lightbulb" moment that alters their thinking.

RichB, bacolmm, evakat and 1 other person like this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The only thing speaking your mind will accomplish is to make you feel better. If they thought they needed to change, they would have done something about it before now. The only time I ever intend to burn a bridge is when I retire. Then all bets are off.

Cannoli, bacolmm, CRA_Fizzer and 2 others like this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I left an organization about 18-19 months ago.....I gave very clear, constructive criticism of why I was leaving to both HR and the person in mgmt. who took me to that company.

Aftet leaving, a few others left and I told them to give the same ferdback if they believed it, which I already knew they did.

About 90 days after leaving, some colleagues who were still there got a 15k pay raise and said several of the things that caused us to leave had been corrected.

So....tell them the truth, in a professional way. Like you said, our community is small and well connected.

10. sharkattack

I have bruises on my head from beating it against the wall trying to get things to change here. No dice.

bacolmm likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Either way make sure to drop this as you walk out...

[​IMG]

BHP41, Chris, jasonhise and 7 others like this.
  12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Clemson’s experience probably makes my opinion invalid, but I agree with this sentiment

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I agree with Clemson's remarks, particularly in a small pool of qualified individuals. If your position is easily filled, they don't care...much.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you do decide to say something, don't bring a big list, that just makes you look like a complainer. Pick one or at most two things that they could fix that wouldn't cost cubic dollars and stick to those only. You can't change the world, but many places actually appreciate some honest feedback as long as you use a respectful tone.

As to burning bridges, you have to ask yourself if you would actually go back if nothing changed.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Exactly this.

16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

When done right, no burning bridges.

The guy who took me to that company, will be hiring me again at a new company in about 30 days.

beac83, Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  17. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I was once morality-bitching at someone (issue was between two other people, not me), and SteelToe told me to "Stay in your lane". I Never heard that term before, but it was a Powerful statement to me. I Never forgot/forget it, and try to remember it when I start to.....
    I wish I had heard/understood this sooner, many many years ago.

You are right "you can't save the world" .....

auminer likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just move on, tell them in the exit interview that it is a better direction for you and your family right now.
    You were with them how long and did things change? You airing dirty laundry will only mean it would be harder to go back there if ever needed. They won't change anything due to your exit interview.

bacolmm likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I left the company I'm currently working for back in 2013. It's a family business run by two brothers that inherited it from their father, and to call either of them dumb would be an affront to stupid people everywhere. A good friend that owned a huge GC company hired me at twice my pay and great perks. I lasted a year, and then heard one of the PM's at my old company was leaving and they needed a replacement for him. I went to lunch with the two brothers, outlined what it would take to get me back (even more money and perks than I had at the other place) and they hired me on the spot.

I learned two things: don't burn a bridge, as much as I wanted to tell those two idiots how incredibly stupid they are; and that I would much rather work for really dumb people than a really smart person (and workaholic). I can get away with murder here because the brothers really compete with rocks as to which wastes the most oxygen.

RichB, Phl218, ChemGuy and 3 others like this.
  20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Just want to say I'm jealous of your position.....I've been there before and it's one of the most euphoric feelings in the world, knowing you're on to greener pastures and you can leave behind something that caused so much frustration for so long.

As far as constructive criticism, you don't own them anything, and it seems by your comments that it would likely fall on deaf ears anyways......

bacolmm likes this.