1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Exit Interview: Bite my tongue or let it all out?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Indeed. Funny thing about choices. Even the poor ones we make can have lasting conciseness. So in the words of the Grail Knight in Indiana Jones "you must choose, so choose wisely". :D

pickled egg likes this.
  2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’m beyond confused at the responses I see here. Why is it one or the other? Those that talk about giving honest feedback seem to view it as a bridge-burning. Why? Are you incapable of giving a solicited opinion professionally? Do you really believe co-workers being left behind to continue to deal with the garbage are going to respect you more for NOT giving feedback that might actually improve things for them?

There can’t be a dimmer switch??

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I agree. Factual and reasonable input is not a bad thing.

I had an interesting experience. During an exit interview I gave reasonable input about a fellow employee that was damaging the organization and causing safety risks. This employee/manager was deceitful and widely known as such. The HR manager went into full damage control mode. HR was more concerned about liability than constructive input. At that point I stopped because it was a waste of time.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    DmanSlam likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why is incumbent upon the person who found the workings conditions so unacceptable that they found another job to do anything more than leave without taking a shit on his boss’ desk?

My (former) employer is owed nothing from me. It’s not my responsibility to point out their shortcomings.

motoracer1100, auminer, sdg and 4 others like this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

In my situation,there was no exit interview. Hell, I never heard of that til very recently. Anyhow, the place I left was passed the listening point. But when I left peacefully, the owner got word I left and dug into why.He then fired the president at that time and sent in an overseer to monitor the remaining higher ups that let the place spiral in the first place,and began to start correcting the big issues that were the same issues I was fed up with. To elaborate more,the owner is never onsite, as he is the owner of a nationwide contracting firm and that particular place I worked was basically one of countless small in comparison, companies he owns. He was oblivious to the situation until he wanted me to build more stuff for his home and found out I was gone. There were enough good employees left that filled him in to all the things that had unfolded. If I would have left with guns a blazin ,I would have just looked like a hot head psycho and that would have been an excuse the regime would have given him, and therefore nothing would be changing for the better for the few remaining friends I have left still working there. My silent exit was a very productive and loud exit.

d_alexand, sdg and Cannoli like this.
  6. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

HR is not there for you. They are there to protect the company/management. I was shown the door a few years ago at a place after a new boss took over. I had an exit "interview" with the boss and HR. They did all the talking. I didn't say a word, because if they weren't going to listen to me while I was working there, why the hell would I say something now? Been in semi-retirement ever since, and the lack of stress is a wonderful thing.

DmanSlam and Metalhead like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that HR is looking out for the employee's best interests.

evakat, sdg, CRA_Fizzer and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

HR looking out for the company's best interest can mean doing the right thing to retain trained and qualified employees. Depending on the field it can be very expensive to attract and retain the right skill sets. Easily half a years salary and benefits for the position and can be much more.

Basic assembly line worker - yeah not so much.
    Experienced lawyer specializing in international trade and import/export law? If you have a good one you don't want to lose them and you want to know why they are leaving so you can retain the next one or the others you have.
    There is of course a huge area of grey in between those two extreems.

Funkm05 likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Not saying it is. Never even alluded to that. Just curious why its an all-or-nothing deal. You don’t OWE anyone anything. But you CAN give honest feedback without burning the bridge. Examples make a lot of the difference.

Those declaring HR the enemy have obviously never worn the hat. HR’s job is to do what’s in the best interest of the company. Sometimes that means “let’s shake hands and walk away.” Sometimes that means “I need to shut up and listen.” The good ones do way more listening.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

"An HR person listening" is pure fantasy.

I'll never work as a direct employee for a company large enough to have an HR department.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Not for all of us.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. The challenge is keeping emotions out of the dialog, which can be extremely difficult if one has dealt with a negative situation for a sustained period of time. Constructive feedback can be extremely helpful for the colleagues you're leaving behind, if it falls on genuinely caring ears with the ability to influence change. However, if the issues have been raised in the past, yet nothing has changed (e.g. the reason you're leaving), it may be better to say nothing at all for risk of falling into the emotionally charged venting trap.

Take into consideration that the exit interview may be to determine if you should be marked "rehireable". Just a thought.

britx303 likes this.
  13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This, I agree with, and it’s really been my point.

Right up until the last. By the time I’m doing an exit interview, I already know if I’d consider rehiring or not. Truthfully, odds are good I’m not going to do an exit interview with someone I wouldn’t want to bring back. I don’t need/want to waste my time with sour grapes or “I’m not a narc” people. I DO, however, want honest feedback from people I believe I can trust.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Cannoli likes this.
  14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Don't think I've ever had an exit interview. Usually it's, "Here's my ID, thanks". I have had an owner more or less beg me to stay and offer me a lot of unfair things (to my coworkers) $8 more per hour and make my own schedule, but I was done. Six months later they sold out.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I did the same thing at a job I left a couple years ago...had been there 10 years. Family company...badly run (IMO)....just not professional. When i left i made it seem more like i was moving to be near my mom (which was true..to some degree) but mainly i had to efffin leave.
    I moved to company that sold their products (and other stuff). So I still had to deal with them. When that job didnt go where I wanted I got back into that industry and now they are a customer.

So it can help to not blow shit up...especially if your in the same industry. Even if you really really want to.....

Cannoli likes this.
  16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If you like the place and your coworkers give constructive and professional feedback. If you don’t, just say the new opportunity worked out better for you and give them nothing else. I left a job last year where they implemented some changes based on my feedback. I really liked that company and my coworkers were great people, but I had a better opportunity.

You gain nothing other than fleeting emotional satisfaction by shitting on people. If you plan to continue working in that industry, you might also run into those people and that company again and you stand to lose a lot by being unprofessional. Stir enough shit and you might never be hired in the field again.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What is your relationship like with the people there, peers, subordinates, and superiors alike? That’s what determines my answer. I’ve had two exit interviews. The first place I had been at 7 years and while the job was stressful, I didn’t mind it. I had very good relationships with everyone in management and through that, many of them helped me work up from a low level floor employee to a position in engineering way above my formal education level. Never actually wanted to leave but corporate decision was reducing my department and I had the least seniority. My boss gave me the heads up months in advance and told me I would be offered a position as a production supervisor once my current job disappeared. I had come from production and there was a reason I worked my way into engineering. Didn’t want to leave but wanted to go back to production even less. So I took the chance and found a job elsewhere. I was very honest in my exit interview. Everyone already knew exactly why I was leaving so that barely came up but I did make a point to say that I hated that I had to leave continue doing the work I loved. However, I was also honest about a couple things that I felt could improve the place. Like I said, lots of people there were very good to me. I’ve always tried to be open to constructive criticism and I knew they were too and would want to hear what I had to say. That attitude from them was a big part of what made that plant so successful in my opinion.

Fast forward to the job I left for. It lasted 8 months and it was the most miserable 8 months of my career, probably even my life. When it was time, I thanked the HR director and walked out without another word. Part of me wanted to go out guns blazing but it would’ve just gotten me worked up and probably burned a bridge that could’ve bit me. I know for a fact HR of manufacturers of all industries within a certain geographic location communicates because I’ve used the data they gather for my own projects before. Lots of potential for shit to come back around. So I just enjoyed the sweet relief of knowing I never had to go near that fucking place again.

18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Wow , I’ve worked construction most of my life and have never even heard of an exit interview . Why would anyone in there right mind even participate in one ?
    Here is my take , what I know is an asset , if you want to know what I think you better open up the check book . And even then I don’t like the whole concept and would most likely just tell you to Fuck Off ..

TurboBlew and dudutzu like this.
  19. yzfpat

yzfpat Active Member

See how you feel on the appointed day: Fired up and cocky? Let em have both barrels.
    Already moved on in your mind? Say you're leaving for more money. It might help the poor slobs you're leaving behind.

20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This is exactly where I am. I decided to just smile and nod during the interview. I'll take a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I'm never having to set foot in that place again.