1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese cars auto transmission question.

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Sep 14, 2019.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Ok, so I got 2 Japanese cars.

2001 crv
    2005 scion xb

Why is it when I start down a hill and touch the brakes, the car downshifts like you are driving stick shift?

I have had dozens of Chevy, Ford, Dodge vehicles and non have ever done this.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

To help with some engine braking?

My GM vans all unlock the torque converter when coasting, presumably to raise the MPG a tenth.

<edit> Correction; my 1-ton vans do not unlock the torque converter.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

When coasting the engine is not injecting any fuel at all, your literally just a giant air pump. So the TC won't change mileage, its still using zero fuel.

zippy- I've never noticed this on any car. I've had at least 7 v6 accords, a couple civics, a CRV, and drive cars for a living. Yes there are hill decent features to do this, but I don't see it without activing that feature and cars don't have it.

4. zippytech

That's my guess too. but I would rather eat a few extra pads over the high rmps it lets the engines get to.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Coasting doesn’t disengage the torque converter lock.

Applying the brakes does.

6. zippytech

Any where to turn that off? Some times I just put it in neutral just so it don't do it.

7. zippytech

It only does it when I hit the brakes. If I don't hit them it won't downshift.

8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

My 18' Tacoma does this if I tap the brake during a decline. Almost like I'm downshifting a manual regardless if I have it in tow mode.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

So are you happy or sad when it does this?

[​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

10. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Easy. Buy a Chevy, Ford, Dodge. Some folks in the biz like to make things "smrter".

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

2005 Sequoia, mine does it at slower speeds like 50-40ish.

12. zippytech

Mine does this too, and to KNickers , I only got them cause I needed rust free vehicle an it was the first one I seen , Other wise it would have been something else.

If my Chevy have ever done it. it is not very obvious like the to Japanese cars do.

13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Don't you want it to downshift when you brake? That's one less gear the slush box needs to shift through when you want to accelerate again.

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

They're probably learning your habits.

Usually, disconnecting the battery for 10mins or so will reset this and you can try to teach it something else.

15. zippytech

Not really I want to free flow, none of my jeeps or s10 does it nor has any other car I have had just the Japanese stuff.

16. zippytech

These are not new by any means, 2001 , 2005 I don think they are that smart of cars..

These are not new by any means, 2001 , 2005

17. consumer38

consumer38 Well-Known Member

Got a 2010 civic that does this. Its annoying at the very least. I like to not let the car speed to much descending but at the bottom of the hill let it roll down to speed limit, this screws that up.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My 2003 pimp daddy neon will downshift for engine braking to hold cruise control settings.

19. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I rented a Dodge Dart that did it. I despise almost every automatic transmission I've ever used.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well that’s just stupid.

You should hate every slushbox ever produced! :D