1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese cars auto transmission question.

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Sep 14, 2019.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I do. The only one that doesn't bother me is the CVT in my wife's Camry hybrid. All my vehicles have three pedals.

2. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

It is designed that way so you don't pick up too much speed downhill. Get to the speed you want, tap the brake, and it will maintain that speed (or reasonably close to it) for the rest of the hill. It is like reverse cruise control. Designed that way because most people ride the brake down the hill and when they get to the bottom, have little to no braking power because they have cooked overheated the brakes and/or fluid.

BigBird likes this.
  3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

But, why don't the Chevy, jeeps and other US companies vehicles not do it?

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Because their cars suck? (although Dodge does it.)

5. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

We do to some extent. You can find it in various applications. The key is keeping the rpm's out of the zone that folks start getting bothered but help keep them off the brake so much. It's a delicate balancing act, trying to provide some level of smarter function without causing stress to those who want their automatic to work the way "they've always worked before". It started with adding downshifts when speeding up going down hill in speed control. When that first came out some owners were beside themselves. But in my career I've twice come upon cars with their brakes on fire because they didn't know to use L/2/1/ what have you when going down steep grades.