1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a "perfect" time to buy a new car?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

It really depends on the dealer and which manufacturer you're wanting to buy. Ford used to have a volume program for dealers hitting a certain quota, but that ended October of this year. We used to get money back on each car we sold, but that's gone. Certain manufacturers still use that program...Toyota, Chrysler I know do, and probably many others. It really doesn't matter to our dealership. We advertise the lowest prices anywhere, and basically if you don't wanna buy it, then there will be someone else that will. Kind of a one priced deal if you will. Our store is already the biggest around, #1 Ford dealer, so our price is the price. Your problem Cam is going to be finding one exactly like you want in this short a time period.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  2. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Kris already replied, so I have nothing to add there. But, his contact helped me with pretty much the exact same request back in 2012. Only difference was I had a little more time to allow him to look. It was pretty painless. We did everything via phone/email and I spent maybe 30 minutes in the dealership, max.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  3. You need to know more people, I got a guy on the boards relative 5K off a Camaro and just got my buddy $6800 off a new Yukon.

4. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I would not recommend spending the extra dough on a track pack and such. I bought a base model 2016 Mustang GT, manual 6 speed for $32,000. I found for about $3000 aftermarket suspension and chassis stuff that makes that car way better than anything from Ford. You can even find the brembo brakes that come stock on the track pack for about $1200 from leathal performance. I'm just saying you can spend less on better aftermarket stuff than what Ford offers and not have it financed either.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Kris, I mislead you. I am not buying her a car before Jan, 1, 17. I want to know if I wait till April, 2017 do I need to just wait until Dec, 2017? I never get in a hurry to buy anything.... That is why @Stumpy said that....

6. Cam Morehead

What rear end? AC seats?

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

For the most part, we offer the same discounts all year unless we get extra money from Ford. I'd say if you want to wait until that time frame, then wait until Memorial Day. There's normally better incentive then.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  8. Cam Morehead

Thanks, may see you Monday, May 29, 2017. Mustang GT, 6 speed, sun roof, AC seats. :D

I may bring Ruby Boobie to test drive it for us...... :blart:

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

No thanks.

I don't like being embarrassed when I drive:)

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just looked at a new RAM 2500 with the 6.4..... They took over 15K off the sticker after some negotiating..... Think I might be grabbing it in the AM...

Cam Morehead likes this.
  11. Cam Morehead

Too late for that.... You should have started on that years ago....

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm on my third F150 and drive an hour to a Ford dealer, who will negotiate/give the best price, compared to the local ones I've checked on - who do as you said - the one price. The dealership also has their used lot, so I'm sure they're working numbers on what I'm turning in/selling to them.

Ironically they called me yesterday (end of year) about wanting to buy my current one and swap for a new one. Curious to see if they can make the numbers match from the '15 to a '17. Is MSRP around the same between the model years, do you know Kris? I'm assuming if the sticker went any direction, it's up. :)

13. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

All I have to add is my recent experience, which taught me it depends on the model. My guess is that the higher end, smaller volume stuff is harder to bargain on. You want an F150 with any variant of options and they'll throw them at you, see Kraft.

Last year, I really really wanted the 2015 Cherokee SRT. Found a dealer right around the corner that had two of different colors and different options and I would have been OK with either. They sat on the front of the lot from before Feb 2015, when I noticed, until after October 2015. I went in a couple times and talked with a few salespeople and they never budged more than a few grand off sticker. Left my card in October and said call me when you want to sell them for this price. Not a month later and both are gone just like that. No way they sold both after they sat on the lot for more than 9 months. My guess is they dealer swapped to an area of the country that they were selling better or higher priced. There were also several on lots at other dealers around here, but I gave up after that experience.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep.... the last 2 trucks I purchased were pulled from lots I was shopping at where they didn't come down....

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

only if its "special" and "limited" and in demand, then yea. or small volume that you really usually only get by ordering one.

higher end, more expensive models that are common usually carry a higher mark-up, which usually means more wiggle room. Lexus has more room and is more willing to slang deals on like RX350's and LS460's compared to IS250's. and the higher end/more specialty they get, the harder they are to sell. if you have a extended cabin LS460H hybrid with the reclining back seats and all that bullshit sitting on your lot, how often do you get a dude coming in for that particular car with all those options, in that exact color, for $120k? you don't, which is why those things are usually to order, but if they have one its hard to get rid of. its also why they lose like 40% of their value after a year when your rich wife tries to trade it in for something else because its too big and she doesn't like it (saw that happen, they gave this lady $64k trade in on one that was a year old once).

they'll move white/black/silver RX350's all day any day though. stuff like IS-F/RC-F's... they probably only ever kept one around cause its cute and people ooo-ahh. but they know that most times people who are the target market for those are gonna come in and order one, and its a specific kinda person, so they'll pay.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Got me one this AM.... Very Happy with it....
    [​IMG]

BigBird, roy826ex and Cam Morehead like this.
  17. Cam Morehead

Nice looking truck. What made you decide to get the gasser vs the diesel?

TLR67 likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Well I work from home 5 days a week and really only pull the trailer once or twice a Month...Trailer is only about 6K Loaded but I am sure I will upgrade in the future but only to like a 24 Footer ect... Race trailer... Mine is 18 now... I just couldn't justify the extra 10K for the Cummins as well as the maintenance, blue fuel ect down the road... I got the 6.4 and it is way more than what I need...

Cam Morehead likes this.
  19. Cam Morehead

Understand. Nice truck.

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

That is a nice truck, not knocking it the least bit, but you almost can't give one away around here. We might stock one 6.4 out of 40 total 2500's we normally carry.

And yes Eddie. I've never seen MSRP go down from year to year. :D

ekraft84 likes this.