1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is radon still a thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Jul 28, 2020.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I mean, obviously there's still an element in that spot on the periodic table, but you never hear much about it any more.

I remember in the 90s that chit was going to kill us all. When my uncle was buying a home in Colorado, the lender wouldn't close on the house until the seller put in a radon remediation system of some sort or another. I just bought a home & radon wasn't mentioned on any of the reams of paperwork.

What gives?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, it's a thing in so much as you still have to pay for testing for it around here when you go to buy a house.

BigBird likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would always have a check done if there was not a remediation system built in, but it does vary regionally and even by neighborhood. In some areas it just isn't prevalent enough to mess with. This is where a good buyer's realtor can know the area and steer you into getting a test or not.

cpettit likes this.
  4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Your real estate agent missed it or it's not a thing there. If it's the former, i wonder what else they missed.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit, it was Rodan who Godzilla fought.

Senna likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

basement homes are about the only time I heard of it when I was in that field. Carolina's area.

gapman789 likes this.
  7. auminer

I never hear anything about it here. Must not be a thing in DFW.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Ah, yes, good point. If there is no basement, you generally don't need to bother.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

thanks for the reminder, got me a follow up test kit. when i bought the place, test came back negative.

co-worker had to install a system.

and found out later that also the paint on his doors and frames contained lead.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm in zone 2. Am I going to die ?

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yes.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Most places I've lived have offered a free test, either from the city or county health department. I take advantage of it but haven't had a house pop yet.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Isn't radon the shit cheap socks are made of?

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep, it’s a naturally occurring radiative element found in certain soil types that seeps out in a gaseous state. Iowa has a lot of soil types that include radon. It’s just the way the glaciers left deposits etc and how this organic material broke down over the years. Any basement in Iowa is more than likely effected and a simple mitigation system is effective at venting the gas outside. It’s become part of the real-estate house selling process where most relocation companies will pay for etc.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

The other thing is if your basement is not finished and you don’t have anyone living long term such as a child the risk is minimal. It’s the people who live long term and are exposed regularly over a longer period of time who are at risk.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Chemically.

Yes.

:D

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. auminer

If your organics are changing nuclides, you have some serious issues... o_O

I'm not a nuclear scientist, but I think that there is a Holiday Inn Express somewhere around here...

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Radon is commonly associated with granite. If the underlying formation is granite it is normally common practice to have some sort of filter/barrier if building there.