1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is radon still a thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Jul 28, 2020.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Where can I buy some of that?

I have a project that requires some. ;)

2. auminer

So did you figure out how many carbon atoms you have to fuse to make radon yet?

I'm curious how you got past iron...

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Easy. Shoot it into a big star.

4. auminer

Even a big star can't fuse iron for more than a couple of seconds. But, on the plus side, for the few milliseconds after it tries and fails to fuse iron, it can fuse ANYTHING! :D

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like a fission expedition to me...

6. ChemGuy

Yep. It all comes from the last few seconds.

Quite trying to be smart and pull some wire...

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh? This guy has been around for years and he can help!
    [​IMG]

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

What’s super cool is when somebody lives in a house for 20 years, then sells it, and has to install a radon remediation system as a contingency of the sale, then the new people move in and the whole family goes to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning because the negative pressure backdrafted their boiler and water heater.

Kid was on life support for a while, but good news; no radon.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How the hell did they pass the housing inspection without CO detectors?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not Radon but still a good story....Cobalt 60 is a nasty radioactive isotope that was used in cancer treatment devices. One of these was scrapped and sent to Mexico. It ended up being used to make table legs. Fortunately the truck shipping them to the US went through White Sands where they check for activity. The truck set off the alarms but it makes you wonder what else has gotten through. If you want an interesting activity get a hold of a Geiger counter and go around the house....be ready to be surprised. Don't eat bananas or drink whiskey...while you're at it never ever use a gas lantern.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

How’s that sun thing working out for you?

12. ChemGuy

I had to have some Tc 99m injected in me a few days ago for a scan to see if my gall bladder was working right (it was). Tc 99m is mainly a gamma emitter. So I would have set off those alarms. :D

Cobalt 60 is mostly Beta emission anyway. A decent chunk of wood can stop that.....sheesh. Now Cobalt Thorium G...that would end the world in a doomsday shroud.....:D

I did not get super strength and/or turn green. Much to my disappointment. There were no spiders hanging around either. :(

I was slightly preturbed about the whole day. But I didnt smash anything.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Around 2002... I was deploying a radon monitor at a house in Gainesville, FL. Being a university town... you run into all kinds of "experimental" technique construction. This particular house was built in the 60s with HVAC ducts buried in the ground and a crawl space/basement foundation built into a hillside. I come back a couple days later to get the monitor and quickly check the instant display... its showing 999 pCi/L. I download the data and see the thing went from 0.5 to 700 in 1 hr and just kept rising to the max the machine could read. I show my boss... he freaks. We go back to the house the next day with a whole bunch of diagnostic equipment and the grab samples were even higher. Turns out the previous owner liked to collect radium dial clocks. The HVAC duct ran under the storage area and as you can imagine wasnt sealed air tight along with its age the perfect storm of events. So a new AC system, removal of the clocks, and encapsulating the crawl area solved the problem.
    Went back ~8yrs later when the house was up for sale again. This time I noticed the house had granite counters and dining room table. I put the monitor on the DR table. Come back a few days later... its showing 150pCi/L. WTF?? The granite was emitting a ridiculous amount of radon.

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  14. auminer

Pretty good til it becomes a red giant and engulfs the earth. I suspect that none of the carbon in my body will fuse into radon even then, though. o_O

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

They had them but nobody checked the dates. $15 first alert detectors that were like 10 years old. Turns out they stop working.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Theyre not required to pass an inspection in Iowa or at least nine years ago they weren’t.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hopefully it helps with your lack of reading comprehension thou, :D. Decaying matter be damned. LOL

18. auminer

Quoted for posterity. I love it when people have misspelled word in an insult over intelligence.

You were close to right... Close enough that I can actually see what you were trying to say... The glacial till did contain granite/pitchblende , etc, which do contain uranium, which absolutely does decay into radon. But nothing "organic" does so, and your post absolutely stated that organic material decayed into material that emitted radon.

Stoopid argument, granted, but you are in the wrong, CornSheik. :moon:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  19. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Back in the day, in college, I used to work at a cyclotron. Lots of very cold liquids to play with. Most of the time, I only needed it for the leak detectors to verify all the high vacuum stuff kept the vacuum in, and the pressure out. lol. But, truckloads were brought in to keep the magnets cold. Word of advice, don't walk near an active cyclotron with anything magnetic. :D:oops:

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: Woooooooosh. Meh, you still look like the fool.
    I never stated that organic mater decayed into radon. Keep obsessing.
    B2D271EC-0230-4289-B8BC-C51C386D92A8.jpeg