1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Lorenzo Done?

Discussion in 'General' started by dylanes21, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

People gloss over the number of injuries Pedrosa and Lorenzo are carrying. That and the fact they are getting older and newcomers are arriving younger. Pedrosa had his best chance to win a championship already. It's never gonna happen. Lorenzo is plagued by fitness problems. It's unlikely to happen again while Marquez is on the grid. Don't agree? first, go back and look at the list of injuries Lorenzo has had. These guys are only human and that stuff takes a toll.

One thing is for sure. Marquez has elevated these guys and they still can't hang with him. It's only his second season for cryin out loud! :bow:

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

While I agree for the most part with Dani, don't count Lorenzo out just yet. MM is one big crash away from losing a lot of points, a-la Rossi in 2010. Something like that could allow any of the other three to catch up or pass MM in the points. There are still 11 more races this year. And who knows what will happen next year or the year after, etc. Stoner went from being unbeatable to announcing retirement in less than a year.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mladin and Spies on the Suzuki for 2015.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That'll be on Superbikeplanet by Thursday:up:

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think the said thing, and I wrote about it to RRW a while back, is that only four bikes are capable of winning. And we've had to accept it. MotoGP is kind of a joke in that regard. Might as well run a race with those four seats then a separate race with the rest. At least then we'd get to see them on camera.

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

As usual, tough crowd in here!

Nowhere did I read the OP say JL is done, he ASKED a simple question to strike up a thought provoking conversation/debate.

Personally, I don't think the question is completely out of bounds. We ALL know in here how much weight the mental game dictates where guys finish on the podium. When you're 'the man' from Spain for a few seasons and then all of a sudden some 20yo new jack comes strutting into the MotoGP and DOMINATES, it could have negative mental results on some....time will tell how JL responds.

One thing that makes MM so damn impressive is how ferocious he becomes when passed, he don't wait for shit to strike back, if that's not mind bending for his opponents I don't know what is....LOL!

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

8. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

JL = MB of the current MotoGP

All the talent but his own mental state will be his ruin. He is so high strung right now that he isn't having fun and allowing his old mojo to flow.

MM has him banging his head against a wall like VR had MB.

He'll snap out of it soon I'm sure.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's the way it's been for a very long time though. Outside of a few anomalies (Stoner on the Duc, KR jr and Schwantz on the Suzukis) every champion for 30+ years has been on a factory Honda or Yamaha. Its a tough call. If you shun those two, you lose a huge factory backing, and essentially the backbone of the series. Without factory involvement, why would GP even exist? It's not like we're all going to run out and by Kalex frames for our 600's because they make the best chassis in Moto1.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, let's not forget that Rossi was already trailing Lorenzo at that point. Doohan 1992 is a better comparison. :D

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Yep...done.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

1992? I was 13. At that point all sportbikes were Ninjas and all I cared about was not getting caught sneaking skinemax at 1am on Thursday nights.

13. IDK, I think Marc could win on a Tech 3, LCR, or Gresini (Alvaro's not Redding's).

14. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

JL's not done, but a big part of the issue is the way he rides the bike. He brakes less than the others at the front, carries massive corner speed and is blindingly fast at doing it. The problem is he needs to be unimpedied(sp?) to do it. He admits it...the others know it and if he can't get away the other riders ruin his line through the corner. He didn't get to where he is as a one trick pony. I think he'll figure something out. Whether he wins another championship is a whole other question and has a lot more to it than just the rider

15. dylanes21

dylanes21 Well-Known Member

Pedrosa just signed a two year deal with Honda, another bargaining chip off the table?

Are his choices down to Yamaha, Ducati, and Suzuki right?

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's probably not worth reading into but Lorenzo has been spending time with Ferrari and in Italy lately.

17. dylanes21

dylanes21 Well-Known Member

Saw that, I am thinking Ferrari is going to make a run at Vettel??

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

it seems he's just hanging out with fellow country-person Alonso

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

More than likely, but ducati and they are both sponsored by Marlboro aren't they?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

JL just needs a big change around him to get him back 100% focused on his job, and he will get there, he is a serious dam hard fighter