1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interior paint - school me

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, May 3, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The blonde woman has a test quart made for each color and then paints it on the wall before buying quantities. That way you can see how it behaves in place and what it looks like in the lighting conditions in the room, rather than the showroom.

OGs750 likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Would you like to use a lifeline Corky?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah, I'm just fucking with ya. Just laughed my ass off with a high end resi contractor about the "home improvement store" prices vs what quality costs. :crackup:

4. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Behr paint is not even in the same league as Benjamin Moore or ShwrwinnWilliams paint.

And as has been mentioned...if you go with darker colors, make sure you tint primer minimum 50% of paint color of your top coat material.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ive had good luck with Porter myself, but SW and BM are good.

Paint quality....higher gloss means less filler (cheap stuff that makes it matte) and more resin (good expensive stuff that makes it shiny). So eggshell and up for better scrub and stain resistance. The higher paints 'should' have better (more durable - higher percentage) resins and additives for flow, stain resistance, less tendency to 'picture frame' etc.

good luck and dont forget, when picking colors for interior go a shade lighter than the one you love...it usually shows up darker inside. But thats what sample pints are for.

OGs750 likes this.
  6. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Tip for you guys on color. Since Lowes offers a low tier SW paint and Home depot a PPG, you can go to the big box store to get color samples then buy the higher tier lines at the actual store once you decide.

In the case of SW the box store samples are like $3 and the paint store samples are about $15. It is a little bigger but who cares for a color sample.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OGs750 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thank you for that.

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

We use Benjamin Moore pretty much exclusively. Clean the walls before prime and paint. It’s amazing how dirty they can be and not look dirty at all.

We also buy from a paint store. They usually knock 15-20% off retail.

9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Sherwin Williams. Eggshell on walls. Semigloss on trim.

Case closed.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Behr Marquee. Great coverage, and most times one coat is all that is needed over old paint (depending on the color underneath). Home Depot also runs specials with rebates about this time of the year. Also, it was the # 1 rated paint from Consumer Reports.

My buddy who is a painter, was actually impressed with the Behr stuff. I painted some wood paneling with just one coat of the Behr Marquee, and he was like it's going to peel off, and was trying to show me, and it didn't.

I like Eggshell for most things. Never paint the bathroom with a flat paint

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Kilz for primer.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

The Behr Marquee doesn't need primer for most things, so it saves a bunch of time. Only if there was a big patch then I used primer, and where we removed wallpaper, well because wallpaper and red paint underneath was just not a great combo.

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Is sanding recommended to help the paint adhere if the current paint is semigloss or eggshell?

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Good tip regarding the wallplates. Does primer take long to cure or will waiting until dry to apply a top coat be sufficient?

15. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Will the Lowes SW have the same color selection as the SW store or will the color codes differ in anyway?

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Another hint I picked up years ago is to place the color info (including formulation) on the back of a switchplate if you ever need to match later.

17. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

What about the ceiling? Specific ceiling paint?

BigBird likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Flat on the ceiling.

BigBird likes this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Not really needed and would leave dust from the sanding on the surface that you would have to remove.
    Kilz primer dries in a couple hours.
    No the codes and base will be different, however they all have optical scanners that they can take a scan of a sample and match it.

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Doubtful. Your walls are probably already textured which sanding would probably fubar. A good primer over clean walls will be good.

FWIW, ask the paint guys at the paint store what they recommend. Our house is 110 years old and the primer, paint and cleaning they recommend has held up incredibly well so far. WAY better than the shit Behr the previous owner slapped onnprior to selling it. We could pull that stuff off where it didn’t stick to the old (likely oil based) paint over horsehair plaster.