1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interior paint - school me

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, May 3, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Buying a new house and looking to paint the interior. What brands and types of finishes are best for the job?

Are there paint houses out there that have a bigger selection or better prices than the big box stores? I live in a smallish town so would it be worth traveling a bit to find one?

I'm looking for something that won't require multiple coats for coverage and has good durability. My family consists of a fiancee and dog (who's awesome and doesn't fuck with walls) right now, but kids in the future aren't out of the question.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Benjamin Moore of you have one close, otherwise Sherwin Williams or Porter.

# of coats will depend on color. If you're going dark, you should prime with a solid base primer, tinted 50%.

neckbrace likes this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Traditionally, flat on everything but bathrooms, semi-gloss in bathrooms, but it is pretty much whatever you want these days.

Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore are good.

One coat or not is really going to depend on what you are trying to cover with the color you choose

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I would advise against flat and go with eggshell. It's between the semi-gloss and flat. Our brand new home was painted in flat and I hate it. It's a PITA to clean and the oils from your fingers or skin leave a permanent dark spot wherever you touch.

Eggshell and we really like the Baer brand at Home Depot. Benjamin Moore or Sherman Williams are equal to if not better.

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Agree, go Eggshell on walls, semi-gloss on trim/doors. Flat paint looks like poo, typically used on older house to help hide imperfections with the surface.

OGs750, R Acree and Ringer like this.
  6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

This.

We use Behr (Home Depot) and Benjamin Moore.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Ringer likes this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Behr. Not near the paint the S-W or Benjamin Moore are in my experience.

Rico888 likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

HD can be competitive on paint over BM or SW. The latter have more designer colors.

9. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.
    Paint big color samples on poster board and then tape them to the walls to choose a color.
    An 18” roller can also be a big help.

OGs750 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

For the love of all thing holy do NOT use paint & primer in one shit. I've had that shit come off in sheets taking wallplates off when the dumbfuck contractor scheduled inspections two days after paint goes up.

Give your paint at least a week, preferably a lot longer, to cure before you put wallplates on.

OGs750 likes this.
  11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

For what its worth I used Valspare Pro (or whatever the top line was at Lowes) and it covered well and held up well to two toddlers over the last 5 years. When I magic eraser their crap off the walls the color bleeds a bit but overall I'm happy. If I remember right it was around $40 per gallon.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sherwin Williams Duration Matte is my preference. Make sure you sign up for their Preferred Customer account and wait for a 30% off email coupon.

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Are the specialty brands like BM and SW worth the extra money or are they worth it more for the additional color options? Turns out I have both of those stores local.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My brother is a pro. He prefers Sherwin to Benjamin. Says Benjamin is a little harder to work with (but claims Benjamin is the better paint).

15. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I guess that brings up a good question (probably should have started with this), but what makes one paint better than another? I figured it was just coverage.

16. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

I just repainted the exterior of my house and used Sherwin. It was the nicest paint I think I have ever used. Was thick yet rolled on easy and covered well on my stucco home. You do need to wait for sales as others have said and get on there email list, but worth it.

17. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Yes, worth it for the quality. You can get any color from any brand if you have the color’s name.

I’m also a big fan of Floetrol. It’s an additive that helps the paint flow and “self-level” so to speak.

Coverage, durability, how the paint flows off the brush/roller are what make BM and SW better quality IMO. If you’ve ever used cheap paint and then one of those two brands, you’ll understand.

OGs750 likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

Its harder to work with, because they don't stock shit anymore, and you have to preorder some of their products.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uhh...why do you think that is?

20. eggfooyoung

Big box stores?