1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install brakes on trailer

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Crconnor18, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Crconnor18

Crconnor18 Well-Known Member

I’m looking to throw a set of brakes on my 6x10 ezhauler enclosed.

Anyone have experience doing so? And idea how to get the right info/parts for the trailer?

The current axel has the 4 bolt block for mounting the brake hubs but I hear a full axel replacement is cheaper than buying the brakes.

I know it may not be “needed” but I would rather have too much brakes than little. Especially when going through the hills in upstate NY.

Any experiences/info/details are appreciated

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how much weight are you hauling in a 60 sq ft trailer?

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Easily more than the 1000-2000lb most SUVs and minivans are rated to tow without brakes.

Example: the Volkswagen Touareg is rated to tow 7700lb, but only 1650lb without brakes.

DmanSlam likes this.
  4. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Find out what type and brand of axle is on there now. Once you have that information, sourcing brakes or a complete axle with brakes should be easy.

If you want to go with traditional electric brakes, you will have some wiring to do, which will include a battery and breakaway cable.

Depending on what you have done to the trailer, it might be "easier" to sell and get something already equipped.

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

I was thinking ~1800lbs fully loaded. Also I prefer the transmission to do the lions share of the braking
    Basically swapping an axle, plus wiring, plus installing a controller on the tow vehicle is a nuclear way to just drive a lil slower when towing.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Did a quick look through my trailer catalog, no complete axle assemblies. All the parts are sold separately and would kill the deal IMO. You can google PPL trailers out of texas and see their catalog or get a hard copy.

7. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

In that case, the only logical answer is to buy a dually diesel truck to tow that trailer around :)

Ducti89, TurboBlew and Pride & Joy like this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A diesel dually is ALWAYS the answer...crew cab long bed of course. o_O

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Check etrailer.com...they have all kinds of parts, etc.
    My short look through their pages shows about $500 in parts could put brakes on your axle. That's not all you need, tho'.

A quick glance from hitch to wheel...
    Considering your 4-pin harness will now be a 7-pin harness, you'll have to have some ability to accept that minor challenge. Wires are color coded, plugs are color coded...you just gotta make good connections.
    Wires will be connected to a breakaway kit. Essentially a manual relay that includes a battery, battery charger and the pull switch that activates the system, locking the brakes in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle while traveling. (I think it's a law...if your trailer has brakes, it must have a breakaway system).
    You'll have wires running to the brakes themselves, fairly straight forward bolt-on. Wire connections need to be exceptionally good considering the environment.
    Drums to ride over the spindles, brake plates and fit your wheel's bolt pattern.
    What I did not look into is whether your axle's spindles will accommodate the addition of brake plates and drums. That may be an additional expense.

Basically, there are two types of axles...leaf spring or rubber torsion. Finding "braked" leaf spring axles is easy enough and I think that's what's on your EzHauler. They're about $580 as a complete axle/brake package. I don't think that includes the drums, another $200+?

Unless you're into DIY stuff and the satisfaction you can glean from the frustration, sweat and blood, it almost makes sense, as was mentioned, just to buy another trailer. You're gonna be into this project for $600-$800. Sell what you have, take that $600-$800 and throw it on top of what you get for your trailer then see where that leaves ya. I bet just about everyone here would say you need a 6x12 anyway. :D

10. TurboBlew

11. fastfreddie

I up your 6x14 with 7x14...and tandem axles.
    :beer:

DmanSlam, Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  12. TurboBlew

well who wants a puny 14' when stepping up to a 7' wide? 7x20 all the way. 6x14 is safely towable with a taco/4runner type rig

13. fastfreddie

I failed to mention the v-nose and all-aluminum chassis...didn't want to sound like I was braggin'. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

...And I tow it with a long bed, crew cab, diesel dually! So there. :p
    :D

Ducti89, Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  15. TurboBlew

damn are there $$$$$ all over your equipment? :)

16. fastfreddie

Nah, I let my stuff look like crap. Call it passive anti-theft measures. I don't wear nice clothes, either, just 20 year old tie-dye WERA t-shirts advising people to stay off the sidewalks and shit. Besides, it's what's on the inside that matters. Ain't that what they say? :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. Crconnor18

Crconnor18 Well-Known Member

Max payload is 2500#~ish

I typically pull an SV, gear, a Z125 and some tools but do occasionally pull my father’s overweight American iron bagger.

I am pulling with a Silverado 1500 but the trailer isn’t going anywhere. Perfect size for what I need and got a smoking deal on it.

It is also a V all aluminum built.

18. fastfreddie

Behind a pickup, I wouldn't concern myself with brakes on a 6x10 trailer unless I had a really good rationale.
    I've towed plenty heavy (maxed+) in a 6x10 with a lesser vehicle and only once had a sketchy issue that coulda been avoided simply by puttin' a little more weight up front. Never failed to stop in expected distances and once was surprised at how well I did stop in an unexpected situation.
    If you can't think of a compelling reason to install brakes, why bother? Put some good rubber all around, including a spare, and call it a day.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just whip it side to side when you want to slow down. The trailer will slow down with the friction of the tires, and if everything is strapped down good you're shit will all be straight when you get where you're going. :D

Sounds like a pain in the ass to me, but Im sure it's doable if you have the axle with the flange on it already. Need the backing plates (includes shoes and all), drums, new RV plug and a trailer brake control module in the vehicle. You "may" need a breakaway setup but your trailer doesn't have one now does it? Nah! I doubt a oinker is going to look at your little trailer for trailer brakes.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

See if you have a Truck Pro local to you. They can get you full axles and parts. I picked up a 7k torsion axle for $650 ish.