1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...is it possible that there will be some disruption? Sure. Is it likely? Don't know. 15 years ago who thought cable companies would be losing their customer base. I know for a few decades my bills have been climbing BECAUSE of regulated markets. Markets evolve and adapt.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Is Kenny going to change his name.

3. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Bullshit argument and bullshit analogy devoid of any knowledge of the issue.

4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I don’t really understand the whole net neutrality thing. Haven’t done much reading on it. What it sounds like is the government got involved and ISPs that provide all the infrastructure are not able to see any benefits from providing better service with the NN rules.

I’m still failing to see how NN was good? What’s the motivation to advance newer technologies if you can’t charge for them?

Again, I don’t know a lot about this.

Edit: VZW already sucks fucking dick for service anyway. I’ll be switching as their network has now become shit.

5. Lincoln46

Lincoln46 Well-Known Member

Oh please do explain how I don’t know shit.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think internet should be served up just like electricity. I plug a lamp in and it works. I have access to the power grid regardless of what I plug in.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

But 100W bulbs cost more to operate than 60w.

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That’s true.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And not that tough to figure out.
    Power users should pay more if they put excessive demand on the system.
    Not that there will be any great changes.
    I love the predictions of companies working against their own best interests just because there's no government agency to stop them.
    The internet has grown exponentially because it was unregulated.
    Can anyone name one terrible problem that existed two years ago that required the government to get involved?

10. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Yet thats exactly how the internet works. If i want the fastest speeds i will pay for it. If you want 100 watt bulbs you will pay for it.

11. BHP41

By your earlier post, you don’t have a basic understanding of the basics of what happened today. You just seem to be mad, but don’t know why, Democrats told you to be?

12. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

I dont remember anyone saying before NN that we need to do something about the internet is horrible. I am a gamer so i have been using internet a while. I dont ever recall being upset about the internet. Actually quite the opposite i loved it.

13. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Well, how about you invent the magic pixie dust that does this.

The dumbest damn analogy in the world about this is comparing it to electricity. It exposes fundamental ignorance.

14. BHP41

Still trying to find out what the NN rules did besides limit the free market. No one has been able to explain this. Please point me to a link or lay out why this isn’t the case and why we need NN rules.

15. Lincoln46

Lincoln46 Well-Known Member

o_OI’m starting to think you don’t have a basic understanding.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Enlighten us, oh Jedi Master.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How so, or is this just a verbose "oh yeah?"

18. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

So, for the mental Neanderthals out there spouting off about how Broadband ought to be treated just like electricity (a favorite snowflake concept), there are at least a large percentage out there who mistakenly think that because many states have regulated electricity to separate marketing, generation and transmission/distribution, and you can "buy your electricity from whoever you want" and just have your utility provide it to you - please look in the mirror to see the encyclopedia image of a dumbass. Not saying everybody who (mistakenly) supported "Net Neutrality" fits this case, but there are plenty of idiots that do. For electricity, it doesn't matter a single damn bit if you select a provider that supposedly generates power from fluttering wings of hummingbirds, the continuous detonation of nuclear weapons, or a static generator on the front wheel of Rossi's bike - you're getting your power from the same damn generation source you always did. They're just trading commodity funding on the market.

Now, when IP traffic can independently be routed with no routing tables, no borders, elimination of MAC IDs, frankly just make the entire UNIVERSE a "flat network", then come talk about it. Until then the only thing people are doing by making that comparison is demonstrating that they don't know a single damned thing about how the Internet - or frankly technology in general - functions.

19. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

And BTW, you can't imagine how it pains me to say anything in support of not hammering the big providers like VZ, ATT, etc. I have to deal with them ALL the time - all over the globe - and they are arrogant, disorganized and easy to hate. But I can't be hypocritical and support stupid regulations just because at the outset people think it will "hammer" the providers.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I do think the originator of the analogy allowed that using more costs more. I personally don't care about the technical machinations of the switching, routing or any of those topics. I want reliable service at a reasonable speed. If I want more I expect to pay more. Quite frankly if somehow this move reduces access, I don't necessarily see that as totally bad. People can't process what they do access and social media is the debbil.

dtalbott likes this.