1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'll post this here because it can go political very quickly but I'd encourage everyone to take the time to go comment.

http://www.gofccyourself.com

The above is a website created to make leaving a comment on the FCC's website less of a hassle. Click on the "express" tab on the right side of the screen to go the FCC's Net Neutrality comments page. Takes 5-10 minutes at the most.

SnacktimeKC and Lawn Dart like this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And remember, what everyone thinks Net Neutrality means, vs what the FCC reclassification of internet providers actually accomplishes are two different things. Show me net neutrality spelled out in the regs.

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. Lawn Dart

I just looked - 6.6 Million comments so far. We'll see what good it does.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

6. Lawn Dart

7. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Yeah, really. Good luck trying to stop something that benefits the Street and the D.C. Cesspool.

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that was discussed here 5 months ago when it happened.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Unfortunately it did nothing. :(

11. Lawn Dart

Clearly not. This is the kind of shit that gets random new people elected.

Killing net neutrality holds zero benefit for citizens, while providing incentive for businesses to stifle competition and innovation.

My votes in the next election will change based on who allows this to happen.

12. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Unless you got more money than Comcast etc, nothing will stop this. Its all bought and paid for.
    Its funny watching Reddit having a meltdown thinking they will change anything.

13. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Isn't Ajit Pai, the FCC Chairman a former Verizon attorney? Once he was appointed I don't think net neutrality had a chance. Also makes me wonder who will really profit from this move. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the consequences here?

14. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Im confused I remember in 2015 everyone was up in arms about the fcc getting involved with the internet. They did so anyways. Now they are gonna get out of it and everyone is up in arms. This is exactly why i think everything is getting screwed up. This makes absolutely no sense.

https://www.cnet.com/news/7-things-net-neutrality-wont-do/

This old article shows how it really doesnt do anything.

Fencer likes this.
  15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you dig, I suspect you'll find that Comcast/VZ/etc had a pretty sure thing lined up getting this all repealed via the courts as regulatory overreach in the first place anyways. Dropping it before the court cases wind their way through prevents the precedent from going on the books.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

17. Venom51

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

So are we for it or against it?

19. Venom51

I am for physical access competition. Too many areas have no real choice of providers. In terms of packet flow I'd prefer not to see paid prioritization. Currently the Title II classification of ISP's was the easiest way to possibly achieve both. Of course I'd also like to see these ISP's stop whining about regulation while happily holding their hands out for funding to expand their reach. RUS funding gets used pretty heavily by all of them.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You don't need to title 2 the whole industry to get better last mile competition. That's like declaring all houses government buildings so you can make sure porch lights are upgraded to LED.

jrsamples likes this.