1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

What's the difference between paid prioritization and advertizing or buying services.
    Will my iPad explode :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Have you Googled Expload?

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

:D Careful dsaspsis will feel left out.

4. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

"We won't throttle, even though we already have when net neutrality didn't exist....and we continued to throttle even after we were paid to stop."
    "We also won't block apps we view as being in direct competition to us, even though we did before net neutrality."

I am torn on this one because 1 - these media giants are fucking assholes. and 2 - it's their network, they can do what they want.

I just fear that net neutrality leaves little room for smaller carriers and leaves a huge entry point for the government to pick it up and turn us off. The government fear of knowledge is far greater than the fear of us being armed. That is the point of bread and circus - keep everyone fed and slack jawed in front of the TV so when the lights finally go out for good, we will be too fat and stupid to do anything about it.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

basically get ready to buy internet packages based on what you stream. Get Netflix Faster for $9.99 , Netflix + Amazon $14.99, etc. Cord-Cutters rejoice! You can become like everyone else again.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

The "its their network, they can do what they want" part is where I have issue. I'm good with that, when I have all services available to my house and I can choose whoever's service let's me do whatever I want with MY network.

To me, this is like electric providers saying, "Oh, you have a Samsung refrigerator? Well, your rate is higher because we have an agreement with LG for a reduced rate, but we don't with Samsung." Or the gas company saying, "Sorry, we don't allow tankless water heaters on your gas line, so we're going to limit your rate of natural gas flow until you remove it."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

That shit is exactly why I have a VPN service. I'd rather pay one price to a 3rd party that provides me other benefits than get nickel and dimed into oblivion by a service I've already paid for. And I'll keep my Comcast service just out of principle while I'm doing it. :D

9. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

As I read more about it - it seems like we paid for them through our taxes to lay the networks. So that may be one thing I revoke in my stance. I have to read more though.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...they all take Rural Utility Services funding every year but none of them want to be labeled or regulated like a utility.

Lawn Dart and BigBird like this.
  11. Venom51

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I would be fine with removal of net neutrality rules IF there was competition in the market. That way the market will self correct when the cable companies mess with subscribers. Otherwise they’ll just mess with everyone’s stuff because who’s going to stop them?

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Government extends money to industry.
    Government must now regulate that industry.
    Gee, that's new.
    How about if instead of the regulations, we just get rid of the government money?

15. Venom51

I'm good with that....if you can wait for that internet connection until enough people populate the area to make it valuable enough to an ISP to start servicing.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I live where there are enough people to make it viable, so no problem.
    If you don't throw government money at it, the market will solve the problem at some point.
    If you live in the middle of nowhere so you don't have to put up with a lot of people but you simply must have cable, move the fuck back into town. Or get satellite.
    Or use your phone.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am pretty sure the wording was not "life, liberty and a gigabit fiber internet connection..." :D

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Gigabit fiber internet connection is a right!
    [​IMG]

19. Venom51

I don't remember stating it was....

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I ain't skeered. I'm Y2K compliant.

TXFZ1 likes this.