1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

At least you’ve framed the argument better and I see your point but it’s still the wrong point.

You should know better if you’re really a network engineer or architect.

There is no 22 cap. You can download 40gb without extra charges if you want. Unlimited. You just might not get the same throughput.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hard limits...no. But still not "Unlimited". It's really just a language use issue for me.

[​IMG]

3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'd hate to jump in but it just feels like your looking to argue about a very minor point that you're making way more dramatic than it needs to be. Am I the only one that feels like you're doing this to try and brag about how smart you are, or belittle someone else in the same industry to make yourself feel better? It's weird man, and kind of cringe-worthy.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Go back and do some reading, back in the dialup era there were court fights that defined 'unlimited' in the context of ISP advertising. Unlimited refers to no restrictions on when you can connect, or for how long. What you're looking for is handled under 'Data Caps' and 'bandwidth tiers'. You'll note they specify those details separately from the times you can connect. If your data stops completely when you hit a cap, THEN you can't call it unlimited 'cause now there are times you can't connect, but that is not what's happening. Been working in the ISP industry since the dialup era and I remember all this being fought over.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think they need to revisit this as the days of "dialing up" to connect to the network are long gone. Your device can be connected without having the ability to transmit or receive any data beyond that needed to identify itself and authenticate. The cellular industry didn't really exist at that time in any meaningful manner. I guess you can't blame them for taking advantage of a ruling that happened before their industry existed.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Try to look at from the perspective of someone outside the industry to whom "unlimited" would not seem to be a word that needs to be parsed that deeply to understand in the context of an ad.
    It's disingenuous.

R Acree likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to learn that.

Your responses are still more emotion than logic, looks like I just had it wrong, it's hate of Verizon not love of the FD :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unlimited is advertising not reality. Everything has limits and your contract with the carrier spells them out clearly.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They also advertise that a new cell phone will make you a better photographer and a happier person. It's advertising dummy :p

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is there a limit on the amount of data you can get every month? Not at a certain speed - but the actual total data, is it limited? If not, then no lies are being told.

Obviously speed is not unlimited or everything would be instantaneous.

11. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

No. I’m saying this because it’s true. Net neutrality as a subject is filled with false statements and bullshit. People protesting often don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. But public pressure could result in a really bad outcome.

12. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Wrong. You have unlimited data. Not unlimited speed. It’s not complicated.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you have to read footnotes or tiny print to get the details, it is not a clearly communicated concept. It might be for the tech savvy, but projecting your understanding onto the average consumer gives you a very skewed viewpoint.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that's where the normal consumer should know better since we've all been lied to by advertisers since birth :D

15. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

It is unlimited. Your refusal to acknowledge that there is not a cap on data “quantity “ seems deliberate. I think you know you’re wrong about this. At some point the consumer has a responsibility to be at least a little educated about their purchases. Since there are really only 4 variables at play here (size, speed, coverage and cost) it ain’t that complicated.

I am no fan of how the telcos operate but even I can’t hammer them for this.

16. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

It ain’t just in the footnotes. And it ain’t complicated. Your argument is really about creating a nanny state.

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Btw if my 80 something parents can comprehend it and one of them still struggles with a dvr im pretty sure it isn’t that complicated.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well f#(k me to tears. Two very astute IT professionals cannot agree on the terms and terminology, and I'm looking for a nanny state? Step back, take a deep breath and try for some perspective dude.

19. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

There are plenty of other people that are not it pros that comprehend it. I’m shocked that a self described network Engineer takes this position. But hey- everyone has the right to claim ignorance and complain. Maybe they should call this #methree.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whatever.