1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kenny is being a bitch not an astute IT pro on this one :crackup:

It really is as simple as the amount of data is unlimited. That's it.

Speeds will vary depending on a lot of factors - including using more than a certain amount of data per month.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's not claiming ignorance, he is bitching about something. Night and day there :crackup:

Lawn Dart likes this.
  3. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Verizon admitted they fuct up with those fire fighters. Called it a customer support mistake.

So says a report in the WaPo.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I rarely run up on a data cap (unless the mini-blonde is spending an inordinate amount of time on snapperchat or whatever) and when I look for speed, I use the desktop, so IDGAF. My contention is that, if I were to drop dead tomorrow, my surviving family would not be able to fully understand the concept based on the advertised terms. If they have to read fine print, or footnotes, it is not being openly and clearly communicated.

Now get off my lawn.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. My issue is the wholesale blame of horrid evil Verizon when it was a simple mistake at a call center. Then blaming Verizon for wanting to actually get paid for shit the fire department is using - stuff that every other customer would have to pay for.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They could easily understand it - the amount of data is unlimited.

Does your family have issues understanding things like the phone doesn't work with no signal or the battery is dead? If not they'll be fine with the data stuff.

7. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Then your family would have bigger issues. If this is the windmill you decided to tilt at based on what you call “footnotes” then not sure how they’ll deal with car insurance, medical insurance, life insurance, warranty service, college admissions, - you get the picture. I think they’re pretty clear about this one.

Not on your lawn. Just driving by.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The blonde women have trouble with the TV remote.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You have no idea how lost they will be. Tech scares them and they are not the only ones. You may want to keep this in mind when you consider your company's customer base.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They'll either figure it out or not, either way they'll survive.

11. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Pretty sure my customer base is asking for more. Not sticking their head in the sand. Also pretty sure you’re underestimating a normal persons ability to comprehend and confusing it with laziness.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Let me conclude by stating that not having you as my customer service rep is a win for me.

And probably vice versa.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ehh...this was a good way to stay awake while I waited to start another overnight roll out. Internet arguments are always entertaining. Pointless...but entertaining.

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'd like to interject an analogy here... Let's say this discussion applied to vehicles. Car rental company advertises "UNLIMITED MILES!" so you rent a car.

Speed = Bandwidth, Odometer = Data.

You can drive as fast as you want for the first 50 miles, but after 50 miles, the vehicle is throttled down to 25 MPH. In real terms, how unlimited is that rental? In terms of usability and being time limited (just like a monthly cell phone plan), it is hampered to the benefit of the company, at the detriment of the customer.

15. Venom51

But you can drive around at 25mph until the tank is empty. Which also isn't unlimited. :D

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The car company would instead advertise it as "Unlimited Use!" Use it whenever you want, Tuesday, Sunday, Wednesday at 4:37AM on top of a giant boulder in Erzberg, go nuts. Just remember it's got a 20hp Briggs under the hood and we've only supplied a single shot of NOS, use wisely.

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Just like a battery on a cell phone...

18. Venom51

I'm good with that language. Add the word use to cellular advertising and I'm good but then don't put in the fine print that you'll be charged extra for anything over 50 miles of use a day. You don't have to specify how good the driving experience or performance of the car maybe. Which they don't..unlike the cellular world that only screams about how fast and reliable their vastly over subscribed networks are.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Lawn Dart likes this.
  19. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

More bs. You’re not getting charged more if you go over 22gb. Your speed is being reduced once you hit that threshold. But you can still move more data without extra charges. Just not as fast. And they say in the damn chart / not in the footnotes - that you get x amount at full speed. This argument is such bs.

Providers would love to give unlimited speed and service. Go talk to the fcc, local municipalities and cities that refuse more towers and spectrum. Ask crown castle about how easy it is to deliver more capacity. Everyone wants it but nimby.

There are absolutely things to complain about with Verizon. This ain’t one of them.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hello. My name is to be wmhjr, but you may call me Bill. How am I may be helping you today? <flip script page>