1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you wanted to spend only $10K....

Discussion in 'General' started by Flex Axlerod, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

on a decent tow vehicle, what would you get?

After my big FJ Cruiser thread I ended up buying my wife a new Wrangler Unlimited. Now I want a cheap tow vehicle as my current truck has a problem and I want to get rid of it.

So, if you wanted to spend around $10K, need 5k lbs towing minimum, and needed to haul three people, what would you get?

2. Look for a good used Crew Cab diesel. Im not sure how far you would have to go back to get one in that range, probably 10 years or something. It wouldnt have all the shit like remote start, built in GPS, etc but it would still be a good tow vehicle.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I bought a 1997 Ford F350 crew-cab dually a couple years ago for 5,500 bucks. The 7.3 diesel will never die and it will literally pull a house down (Ok, maybe a garage, haven't tried a house yet). Anything that breaks can usually be fixed with duct tape. One of the best purchases I've ever made honestly. Should have done it years ago. I specifically hunted down a Ford because the cabs are huge and the 7.3 is pretty bulletproof. I use it every day in my business (flipping houses) and it's been towing up and down the west coast without missing a beat.

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

old diesel (brand is up to you)

as everyone has said/will say!

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

10 year old crew cab diesels are still bringing $15k+, unless maybe ones with 250k miles on them.

I'm trying to decide on either a suburban/Yukon do 2500 with a 6.0 or a crew cab long box diesel, for my next truck.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup I'm looking at 2500 'burbs as my next choice.

7. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

10k good luck..... POS for that

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, at least the 01 you posted has been detailed.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I like how the 01 said low miles......200K. LOL

11. Inst Tech

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Just what I bought, a diesel E350 van. You can get the vans a WHOLE lot cheaper than the trucks. GCWR is 20k lbs, seats 15 with all the seats installed (or seats 5 and still has room for two bikes and gear in the back). MPG is decent, too.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Just a tow vehicle?

We see the white, single cab, service trucks at auction all the time. So long as you don't mind no creature comforts, they are a good deal.

14. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Everyone will go ape shit talking about what a POS they are but the 6.0 F250's can be had on the cheap. A buddy just picked one up for $6k with 160k miles on it, I believe an 04.

If they are still running with 150k+ miles on them, the previous owners more than likely already dealt with the head studs and other issues.

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I found an 04 F250 for $12,500. Its a 6.0 diesel. It has the install EGR cooler delete, new updated Ford headgaskets, Ford oil cooler, full top end Ford overhaul kit, new glow plugs and new glow plug wiring harnesses.

I have never owned a diesel so I have no idea what I am doing here.

16. Inst Tech

Sweet. Now all you'll have to replace it FICM,injectors, rail plugs, oil pump, and a few other things and you'll be good to go!
    Just get a bad ass fiat...

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

and there you go. screw all that. I will just buy a gas Suburban with $100K on the clock.

Freaking diesels seem like misery.

18. Right. Because you never have to replace/repair anything on gas burning vehicles.

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

That is not what I am saying. However, I have yet to own a gas vehicle where practically the whole damn thing was poorly designed and needed replacement.

In other words, diesels seem like more trouble than they are worth, especially when my max tow weight is around 4500 lbs.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Not to mention the current price of diesel fuel.