1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you wanted to spend only $10K....

Discussion in 'General' started by Flex Axlerod, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... I drovea 4.6 ford 150 for years that had over 450k on the original engine & trans. It defined the slow but pulled my 7x16 all over Fl and Ga. Even made afew trips to kentucky towing. If a $10k budget was the limit I might look fo r an early tundra gasser or a single cab truck. Or better yet see what kinda new truck incentives there are and keep the$10k in the bank and make payments. For example our ecoboosst crew is less than $500 month with zero down and a 48 month term.

2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

IMO for what you're pulling & the distance... I'd just get a gasser with decent mileage, that has a good rearend (final drive), and call it a day. It'll be cheaper overall.

Now.... if you happened to find an EXCEPTIONAL deal.... then go diesel.

3. I am unwilling to sacrifice or change my driving habits for the sake of the truck. It isnt so much that a gas truck can't tow the stuff, it is that it can't haul it the way i want to drive...at least not for any duration to speak of.

I don't want to slow down, take longer to accelerate, go slow uphills, take forever to get up to speed, etc. I want to drive the way i want to drive. The truck can either handle it, blow up, or get replaced (or a combination of the last two :D)

That was my experience with the Escalade and Avalanche anyway. But for all i know, they may be shitty tow vehicles to begin with.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Accurized®

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

7. :crackup:

Yeah, but there is an easy fix for that. Although it will likely be more costly than replacing the lemon vehicle. :D

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

This is exactly what I would do if I had not just bought my wife a $35K Wrangler. It is my turn to drive the shit car as she has done so for going on 8 years.

I have three trucks lined up to look at. 1 diesel. 2 gas. Ford, Toyota and Dodge Ram. I am a Mopar guy so I really like the Dodge trucks. I just get tired of replacing the same 7-8 items on every damn one of them. Hell, you might as well buy a heater core the minute you buy a Ram. You will need it.

9. :confused:

What does she need a Wrangler for in the kitchen?

:D

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

If my wife was in the kitchen I would starve to death, that is when I was not fighting the trots. Chick cant cook to save her life.

11. alan

alan Well-Known Member

So your ecoboost was less than $24000 total with taxes, tags, title? And a 0% loan?

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I wish....rhats what is owed after trade/tax/incentives . Truck was $35k

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

14. Im wanting a Van. Scott Brown's van with the black wheels and big KTM decal on the side is pimptastic.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

An '03-08 V8 4Runner fits all the op's requirements (as stated). They're currently selling way under book value, see them often for under $10 with 100K on them. I'm a fan of vans too, but for me the 4R has much more appeal as it's useful for more than just towing and is much less unwieldy in daily use.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I picked up a 86 Astro van from a local company when I was in College. All white, no air or radio.. $50. It has 100k on the clock and a blown head gasket. We pulled a 4.3l and trans out of a crashed one at the the salvage yard, 2 seats from a GMC Savannah, and 4 new tires. All together we have put less than 1k in parts. My parents still have it and use it once a week.

You can find good deals. Those old Astro vans made kick ass haulers.