1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to get rid of cable... Roku? Apple TV? Smart TV? What do I need?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lizard 1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I am sick and tired of $200/month TV bills and only watching a handful of shows. I want MotoGP, WSBK, etc but can pay the $120 year subscriptions.

I am looking to convert and only keep the 30 or 50 mps internet service.

What is everyone using and how do I get the shows my GF and I want?

2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

We have a Roku with subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Showtime and Sling TV for motorcyle racing. I also installed a large antenna in the attic and boosted the signal with an amplifier, then wired it into the cable black where service enters the house. Life is good.

Edit - our DSL internet is only 5mps.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

How you going to feed those devices data? Do you have DSL available to you? Otherwise you aren't cutting the cord.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get cable net with no tv. Ours is cheaper than DSL and faster.

5. Venom51

But you are still a cable customer. Make no mistake about it. The only thing you are affecting by dropping TV is them not being able to report you as a "TV" customer. In my case it was 10 bucks a month cheaper on the data bill to be a "basic TV" customer. All the big dollars on the TV bill are HBO, Showtime, Cinemax ESPN and any of the guys playing with their balls packages . Without those TV is dirt cheap to free.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He didn't say he hated cable companies or the like, that's your issue :crackup:

We actually get tv in the office but I've never run the cable to a tv.

In our case at the office went to cable for net and VOIP and saved 4-500 a month over the phone company and got faster than dsl along with a static IP. Love it. The house we have no phone at all, just the cable for net and DTV for TV.

7. Venom51

I don't hate the cable company I just hate the notion that by dropping TV, keeping the cable modem and getting a Roku that people are somehow "cutting the cord". :D

BigBird likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can tell since the OP mentions nothing about any cords.... Only talks about paying less than $200 a month for TV :crackup:

9. Venom51

Actually I do kind of hate Comcast at the moment. Our DOCSIS loop has been shit for about a month now. Maybe I'm a bit too touchy today. :D

10. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

I pay $14 a month for time warner Internet. Yes $14 not 140. Its only 2mps but works for streaming video and the sexbox. Tv comes in ota via antenna on the roof.

I have netflix that my sister pays for too.

200 a month is bat shit crazy f them cancel and go ota (over the air) the picture quality is way better than timewarner ever was.

11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I think direct tv has come out with something today. It's the Apple event day so people are releasing new stuff. Check in to that.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is pretty amazing what you can get with a good antenna and the HD quality is damn stunning.

13. Venom51

That's because they aren't compressing the snot out of what's being delivered via OTA. I dropped the Antenna in the attic last weekend. Working on a power supply and packaging solution for the bank of HDHomeruns that will be spitting out the multicast in the house for the backend of the system to replace DirecTV and evict AT&T from my house once again.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I get fifty something channels with the twenty dollar antenna I bought at Radioshack. No booster or any other stuff. Helps that FL is flat. Still pay for hi-speed cable internet. No complaints.

15. Do a search, there were a couple threads recently with decent info.

16. Is that the pay for what you use or something like that? They all have to do something as cost of streaming devices has dropped to nothing and more is available on a daily basis it seams. I have local cable mainly for news and a few channels I watch. Besides the few shows I record on that most of the stuff I watch is on the smart tv via Netflix, Amazon or sling.

17. I cannot remember the last time I had a land line. I do have a booster from Verizon for the cell phones. Work paid for it so that's a win and a loss I guess.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Get an iphone 7 ... No wires.. Free brain radiation

I'm on my phone..excuse errythang

19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I'm jot sure. Just seen something about a new service from them this morning on my news feed.

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Ah, "city folks" with their antenae TV...I'm jealous. Have to have Dish or Direct If I want to watch TV...And I despise both of them...DSL is from the phone company and is bat-sh*t slow.....By the way, how do you check to see just what speed you're getting?
    PS, I was a 20 year customer with Direct, back when they were Hughes TV and they just kept milking me like a cow...no special deals for me. Switched to Dish to get their 1/2 price deal 2 years ago, now they're milking me...time to switch back I guess. I assume they understand what's going on when every 2 years their customers roll over. You'd think they would figure it out....