1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to get rid of cable... Roku? Apple TV? Smart TV? What do I need?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lizard 1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That website is horrid. I have nothing else to add, I left before I could find anything.

BigBird likes this.
  2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Same here. I searched for the channel lineups for a couple minutes and couldn't find them anywhere.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I will be glad when this fad of full page motion home page passes.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well I finally canceled Direct TV, they only want one receiver back and it isn't the one with the DVR, I'm guessing there must be a way to hack it and re-use for recording motorcycle races. :)

5. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I have a jailbroken firestick with kodi/exodus. I can watch what I want when I want and don't pay for shit!

j cal, Sabre699 and terminus est like this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

TiVo roamio ota is still the go-to?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just for off air off internet fun - I'm currently watching Santa Clarita Diet - downloaded from Netflix to the iPad, airplay to the AppleTV, using a local wifi network in the rv :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also used the same setup to look at all my pix from the airshow today on the mac :D

9. Newsshooter

Installed an antenna today, 35 channels over the air, about 6 of them are 1080i.

10. Newsshooter

Also got a roku stick and signed up for sling, got to watch the Donnington WSBK race this evening. This looks like it will work well, wife get here cooking show and I have BEIN for the races. OTA looks better than Direct TV.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I remember going to cable to DTV and was in awe, then HD DTV and awe again, then to OTA and awe yet again. Amazing the differences.

I still need to get my antenna stuff sorted better. Of course the best bet would be the huge one on the roof but screw that noise. :D

12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I know this is an old post but for people that want to test their connection speed I would suggest testmy.net to see if you're getting what your paying for. Your internet provider will want to direct you toward there own speed test, quite possibly a Ookla test or simlar flash based test site because it will test out faster there.

I have Brighthouse which is now Spectrum, I had the 200 mbps speed with Brighthouse which isn't offered but their 300 mbps is $4 cheaper. Actual is 195-200 mbps tested by testmy.net but 350 mbps at the >pectrum Ookla speed test.

I'm not cutting the cord to shit, life is about options, not interested in limiting them. I have direct TV, NetFlix, Amazon prime and Tidal lossless streaming. No buffering, no dropouts.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ditto !!

14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

josh7owens said:

I have a jailbroken firestick with kodi/exodus. I can watch what I want when I want and don't pay for shit!

Sounds like theft to me, so we're all about copy write enforcement here, link it,don't copy and paste it (as it should be) but we turn a blind eye to stealing other content.

OK then...

15. Newsshooter

I picked the Mohu Air 60, as antenna's were discounted with the purchase of a Roku. Though there are plenty of plans on line for making an antenna for a few dollars in parts. TVfool.com will show you where all the towers are in your area. http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Fack it, I'm cancelling my DTV right f'n now.
    $125/month.

Brad likes this.
  17. Newsshooter

Have fun it took me 30 minutes to cancel it and they told me they would send boxes for two of the receivers that needed to be returned to them. received a box for one and no paperwork describing what to return. Had to call again, now they only want one receiver back and I found out I'll receive another letter in a couple days for the cards from all of them. That took more than 20 minutes.

18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I cancelled Direct last month after 8 years and don't regret it. Antenna, Netflix, and Vue cut my bill in half and plenty to watch. Free dvr(not perfect for live stuff-not "smart" enough) on Vue with Bein and a decent movie channel.

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I have been pleasantly surprised that there are some additional motorsports channels hidden in my Sling package. I'm watching FIM Supermoto now and they also have shown the full CIV championship with the announcers from BSB (who I love).

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just for the record, can you get Bein without cable/satellite? If so, can they be recorded or do you have to stream them live?