1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to get rid of cable... Roku? Apple TV? Smart TV? What do I need?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lizard 1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You can get it on Sling, I'm guessing there's a way to DVR it but I don't know for sure.

2. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

With slingtv you have 4 days to watch the races (or anything else) after they air before they disappear. Like stated above there is probably a way to capture them to a hard drive but I just watch them.

3. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with Sling for the last few weeks and it works... sort of.... ehhh, kinda' sorta... maybe... ok.

If you plan on using it with Chromecast don't bother. Their cast support is pure and utter shit. Half the time the shows won't load, then when they do load the pause and play buttons won't work, then if you're lucky enough to get the show to load in the first place it simply stops randomly. Exiting out and resuming the show takes you all the way back to the beginning. Infuriating doesn't quite cover it. I just gave up casting and watch it on whatever device I'm trying to cast from.

As a stand-alone service its ok. Just don't try to use it with Chromecast.

4. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

It's illegal to download, not ilegal to stream. Streaming from source is a gray area because it's not downloaded. Thousands of people use this method of watching Shows/movies and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. It's a gray area.

Now go fuck off, internet police

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Grey area, right.

Since they're advising to use VPN to stream it anonymously that tells me all I need to know concerning it's legality. No grey area, it's theft, pure and simple.

https://thevpn.guru/is-exodus-legal-safe-kodi-xbmc-addon/

IS EXODUS LEGAL?
    Whether using Exodus can be considered illegal or not largely depends on the region you currently reside in. In countries such as UK, USA, Canada, Germany, France, or Australia,streaming movies from pirated sites is considered a crime. Many of the movies and TV shows you see listed on Exodus come from such websites. Therefore, you have two option in terms of Exodus legality. Either stop using Exodus all together, or use VPN to encrypt your Internet traffic and stay on the safe side.If you implement the second option, neither your ISP nor copyright infringement groups will be able to spy on what you are doing online. In other words, nobody can see that you are watching movies via Exodus to begin with. Don’t take any risks! Use VPN to avoid getting copyright infringement notices and warning letters.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I am less than 20 miles from NBC, but had to get an attic antenna to get the channel.

The station is NW of me. I moved six miles north and five miles east - and can't get it at all now.

Any ideas?

7. Newsshooter

Better antenna, I'm 23 miles from the towers and I'm getting great reception. I did put a small antenna on the outside. Unplugged the dish and added the cable from the antenna, now all the rooms have OTA signals.

8. stevedave

stevedave Well-Known Member

I tossed DirecTV last summer. Combination of solutions but all mostly mentioned.

OTA
    Bought an OTA indoor antenna that is 35 mile range when not amplified and 50 mile range amplified. I will say that when amplified, it did not pick up towers that are closer (< 25 miles) very well. Removed amplifier and they come in better. Quality is great.

PlayStation Vue
    Love this. DVR is basic, but at least it as it. Based on reviews is better than Sling, DirecTV Now, and other offerings. Works seamlessly and gets BEIN sports on middle package. Can use credentials to sign in to any of the major sports apps (NBCSN, Fox Sports Go, ESPN, etc)

Have chromecast, roku, and fire tv/stick. Hands down like the fire tv/stick the best. Roku is pretty good except interface for PS Vue sucks. Fire tv works great. Recommend getting the actual box vs stick as you get more horsepower and can connect with a wired connection for more stable than wireless.

Add on other offerings such as Netflix and Amazon and you are good to go. If you are so inclined you can look at Kodi on the fire tv/stick.

I haven't looked back with this setup. Pay $100/mo and that includes my high speed internet service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. dlafz1

dlafz1 Well-Known Member

My fiancee travels a lot. I bought a firestick TV for her to be able to access our Xfinity content while on the road (so she wasn't stuck with just the crappy hotel offerings). I can cast from my android phone without any problem. Does anyone have any tried and true methods to do cast from the Apple universe to a Firestick TV?

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have Cox cable, but just the starter pack. My total bill every month is $82. That includes 55mb High speed internet ($60), then TV starter pack ($22). The TV starter pack includes all HD Network channels (Fox, CBS, NBC, etc) and HBO.

I use Netflix, HULU to satisfy the family. Then Purchase MotoGP video pass. I just use Youtube for WSBK and MotoAmerica.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Those of you primarily on internet based programs (Hulu, Sling, etc...) what kind of connection are y'all using? Cable? DSL?

Trying to set my uncle up with something like Sling but he only has Verizon DSL which is only like 3-5 MB/s.....will it be fast enough?

12. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Doubtful. I'm on a dedicated DSL 25MB/s line and usually get between 20-25MB down. That's usually enough. When things drop below 15MB I start getting reduced resolution and/or stuttering. It also seems to depend on the service. Netflix seems to be really good at serving up a decent resolution at slower speeds, while others like Sling just shit the bed if things slow down even a little.

Also keep in mind that your connection speed is only 1 end of the chain. If the service you're trying to stream from is having issues it won't matter how fast your connection is.

XFBO likes this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I just tried an HD antenna and results were dissapointing. Image sometimes stalls or pixelates even if the towers are all within 15 miles of my home and it can get pretty annoying... Not so sure about unhooking cable anymore.

14. stevedave

Make sure you get an antenna appropriate for your distance. You can actually overshoot if you are amplifying or have an antenna for farther distances and the towers are close.

I have fast internet (200 Mbps down) so I have no issues, but even when it was 25 Mbps down it was fine.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Indeed, I have the shortest rage they offered : 15 miles.

16. stevedave

Only other idea is to make sure you are pointing it in the right direction. There are a few websites that you can put in your address and it will let you know which direction to point the antenna for best reception. After that it is just trial and error. The higher you can place the antenna and away from anything that would interfere (especially electronics) the better.

17. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

I cut the cable and have 50mbs down with 2 fire TV boxes (1 with kodi) a ps3 and a roku ultimate. I signed up for PlayStation vue (for the for feature) so I'm covered all around. I can record all the races on bein sports and watch then later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Newsshooter

I could get a few channels with an indoor antenna if it was in the right spot, put a small outdoor antenna near the dish and plugged the cable into the port where the direct TV cable was, now I have 35 OTA channels and the picture is better than Direct TV, four of them are 1080i. Try a different antenna and location. Look at TVFool for the location and direction of towers in your area.

19. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

For any one using Kodi. I recommend the "Motor Replays" addon. Basically every motor sports under the sun. Great for watching MotoGp WSBK, BSB etc etc etc.

MotoGP1199, justjohn620 and AJ like this.
  20. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I got an email today from Playstation Vue announcing that Bein would be dropped as of today. No future programming and dvr'd programs unavailable. Time for something else! :( What's best that has a Bein option?