1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a garage damn it

Discussion in 'General' started by mike-guy, Aug 26, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have a walk-out basement and a relatively large, attached two-car garage. It sucks having/needing tools in/from/to one or the other. Either I'm walking around the house or going through it up/down a narrow flight of stairs. And then, ultimately, you can't find a fucking thing! :D

My $.02, the proper garage to living space ratio is at least 2::1. Garage space taken up by the SO's vehicle counts against said garage space. :D

BigBird likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You only have one set of tools? Weirdo.

Sprinky and panthercity like this.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Agreed... However, no matter how many sets of tools you have, by definition, you only have one "good" version of any particular tool, so you end up in the same situation...

"Dammit, where are my 'good' pliers?"... Of course, they are in the other toolbox...

BigBird likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Got to have more than one set. The full kit in the garage in the 6 foot roller and a smaller preconfigured Kobalt set in the basement to keep trips up the stairs to a minimum.

panthercity likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine are all about the same quality other than safety wire pliers or the like and those stay in the bike area. Between having a set for the RV and the old set from the trailer and the assorted full sets minus 1/2 and 10mm sockets/wrenches I've got a good 3-4 full sets of normal hand tools :D

K51000 likes this.
  6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Is one's man-card at stake, when they start thinking AC in their workshop/garage ain't such a bad idea?

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have at least two sets. Problem is wanting to use the SnapOn over the Craftsman. And, of course, there's that damn multitude of 10mm sockets and 12mm wrenches that have dematerialized...again. :rolleyes:
    :D

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...just as we invented the infernal combustion engine, so we could stop pushing pedals to get somewhere, we invented A/C for a reason.

panthercity likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Nope. It’s at stake if they don’t spend enough time in their shop to NOT want it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell no. I've got a hole cut in one of the main ducts to blow cold or warm air at the lift, just stuff the cutout back in when I'm not down there using it :D

K51000 likes this.
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nope! Particularly in the South.

TLR67 likes this.
  12. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Having gone without in lovely Florida for all my life (including my Dad's when I was a kid) until about 6 months ago... I'd say no I don't care. I am literally getting too old for that shit and it was limiting my time utilizing it.

panthercity likes this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My garage(shop, to be honest) is 60 in the winter and 68 in the summer. Sometimes the window unit struggles and it gets up to 71 in there. Central air will be sometime soon.

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Nope...I have central heat/AC in mine. Who says you gotta wrench in misery?

TLR67, BigBird and panthercity like this.
  15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

If you need a winter hold-over, I ended up paying for a month at a community garage and will probably keep it going until I get my stuff done. There's space, tools, and heat. It's pretty dead right now. Guy said that winter is pretty dead, and then they get a rush of people in the spring. Only seen one other person in there working and a few people just hanging around first week in. Better than nothing, and the weeknight hours are good. Waiting on the guy with the Honda Gyro to show up and let me take it for a spin.

http://skidmarkgarage.com/

BigBird likes this.
  16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

There's also a place in Valley View for sale, 2 car attached plus 3 car garage plus rv-size garage attached to that. Enough space?

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a drive in basement capable of holding 5 cars or a shop and 2 cars. Also a 40X80 pole barn containing a 22X40 shop a mezanine, 3 12' high roll up doors, etc. Still not enough space! I want a place that I can keep all the vehicles, MCs, tractors, trucks, etc stored so that I can get to each one without having to do the shuffle.

K51000 likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would like to know details on this Sean because that is exactly what I need to do...Especially in the Summer... My Furnace and condenser is literally right above my Lift...Did you just put in a duct or what?

19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I might see you in there. What bike do you have there? I talked to the owner of the space recently and will be coming up to use the vapor blaster.

The website says all of the tools you need are there and not to bring your own. Is that how it is in reality?

20. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Mini-splits are awesome and efficient, even got a rebate for installing it.
    [​IMG]

duggram, Razr and ekraft84 like this.