1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I shot Broome's squirrel.

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Fer, Dec 27, 2013.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I bet all of our early ancestors had fun doing it. They had the spiritual, learning and bonding experiences as most hunters do (it is in their oral and pictorial histories), to was necessary for their survival. but you darn well better believe there was fun in it for them. They took trophies and prided themselves on their kill. It is something that has been done since man stopped scavenging and picked up a spear. Forbidding someone to have fun on a hunt and calling them sick is a bit over the top. I doubt you would call the caveman with a saber tooth pelt wrapped around his waist and a tooth necklace, a sociopath....

Lining up animals, torturing them and wasting their meat/pelts is sick. Drowning puppies and smothering kittens is sick. But enjoying and having fun on a hunt is not sick.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: I make one exception, any kind of mouse, rat or mole type. They get whacked no mercy. But killing for the sake of killing I can't agree with, it's plain stupid.

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

This is why I got you the punisher shirt.:up:

:D

4. CausticYarn

I totally rocked that on Christmas Eve - I was a crabby bitch!

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Taking pride in the hunt (how it provides for their family, how it proves their mettle, etc) is different than enjoying the kill. Plus, for them there was much more risk involved. Spear vs mammoth is much more risky than scoped rifle vs deer;) A successful hunt when you're just about as likely to get killed as the prey is much more to be proud of.

If a person gets off on killing housecats, we assume they're going to grow up to be a serial killer. If a person gets off killing wildlife why is it considered acceptable?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What if drowning puppies and smothering kittens brings you joy and fun? Why is that sicker than hunting for fun?

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

[​IMG]

8. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

What if some sick fuck prefers to drown an animal first? I mean its fun to him so its cool.

All the hunters are welcome to their fun and their pride, as long as they walk out in the woods and use something they found on the ground to kill their prey. I mean how could it be fun to shoot something from 500 yards away from your blind/deer stand with a rifle so powerful that it damn near doesn't matter where you hit it. Do it like your ancestors.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What's more defenseless than a damn snail, huh?
    Yet you take pleasure in cooking them alive so you can enjoy a tasty snack with a fancy French name?
    You people make me sick.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you're looking for someone who would knowingly eat snails, you're barking up the wrong tree, Grinch of Joy.

11. In Your Corner

Ignorance of the food source is no excuse, Man of Questionable Ethnicity.

12. CausticYarn

You all need to visit a commercial stock yard. And a chicken farm. And a pig farm. Do it, take a day trip. I would take a bullet to the head at 500 yards any day over living in a pen packed asshole to eyeball barely even able to stand up from being so ill. I just can't see how it is more inhumane that the gross shit you pick up off of your walmart grocery shelf.

I can't see why people aren't allowed to enjoy a hunting experience that feeds their families, creates bonding time and life experience. You still have to process the animal and get close to it. It isn't like you are picking a blob of meat up off of a shelf that is several months old and frying it in a pan completely ignorant of the fact that it was tortured its entire life before it ended up on your stove and filled with God knows what sort of injections to make it look better and cover up how rank it actually is... The animals we hunt live far better lives than the animals commercially slaughtered for our consumption.

13. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

No doubt. And if you do happen to shoot one at 500 yds, not only will you get healthier food, you will get a weeks worth of excersize getting it to the atv/truck

14. In Your Corner

Signed,
    Little Miss Sunshine

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Look up long range hunting on YouTube. 1300+ yard bull elk kill by a 12 year old.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think you're missing my point. The hunting experience is fine (relatively - it's still not anything like the prehistoric hunt you referenced), but when it comes to the kill, give the animal the respect it deserves and be thankful for it. Don't be one of those assholes with a raging hard on for killing stuff (you know the type).

And my parents raise grass fed beef. I'm well aware of the life of the animals that end up on our grocery shelves. For chickens, pigs, and turkeys, your assessment is spot on. For commercial cattle, they live pretty normal lives for all but the last few weeks/months when they're in the feedlots being fattened up for slaughter.

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to start hunting. I grew up in Hawaii so I never really got the chance to learn as a youngin. How do you ensure the squirrel you shot is a good, non-disease ridden critter? How much meat do you get out of a squirrel vs. the work you put in? How would one go about learning to hunt, skin, prepare, and cook varmint?

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL! You are confusing people with the facts.

It is hilarious how many city people are completely ignorant of where their food comes from. I know people that would go to a fancy restaurant and eat venison but are against hunting.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You ever met anyone who eats lions? People hunt them. Some of them, in the US.

I've never met anyone who buys steak at the grocery store just to pose next to it for a picture or mount it on the wall.

Yeah, most hunters probably eat what they hunt. But don't act like none of them kill just to kill.

20. CausticYarn

It wasn't completely directed at you, it was more of a collective point to several posters :)

I agree we don't need people rock hard for killing bunnies. But I think people ought to have fun when they are hunting, you can enjoy it and be respectful - most hunters are.

ETS: shit too slow.