1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I shot Broome's squirrel.

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Fer, Dec 27, 2013.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Why brag about a miss? :Poke:

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Maybe with a little less fur and guts, fried up with some bacon.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I hit him. Just 6" farther back than I wanted.

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I'm gonna get one of these to wear at the track next season just to bust Lorna and Wanda's chops after what happened last September.

5. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Well-Known Member

Proper cooking technique? I love hunting squirrels, but they keep turning out tough as shit.

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Likety,
    I'm not gonna start a fight and insult people like I used to do....I'm done getting worked up and antagonizing/fighting over this stuff.

However I have a legitimate question, and I singled out your comment (not you) for a reason. This is a question, not an attack, not a judgment, nothing like that....it is a question.

Why are you (or anyone else) proud/excited that a daughter/child "casually" smoked a round into an animals head, as if it was nothing.
    Most girls think small animals are cute, not something to be killed/discarded w/out a blink.
    I understand an adult who likes killing is not going to ever change, but I do not understand why an adult would want a child to want to kill w/out emotion.
    I'm lost.

AGAIN, this is a non-confrontational question.
    TY

Also, why do people take horrific pictures of the bloody carnage they do to animals? That, I truly do not understand.
    I have killed countless mortally wounded/diseased animals (including close-range head/brain-shots).....I have to block the bloody images out of my head....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Because it's the humane thing to do.

8. charles

charles The Transporter

I'm not as diplomatic as SpeedyE…I just don't get whatever thrill some people seem to get out of killing living things, in this case small living things…I've never heard any intelligent explanation about it, so I gather some of you do it only because you can do it.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Squirrels taste good. Seems like a good reason to me.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you're eating them, shoot away. If you're blasting them just because it's fun, well, you've got a scary kind of illness.

11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

12. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Better than the damned thing suffering.

Meat tastes good. Unless you are a vegan or slaughter your own meat - you have no clue. The meat you pull off the shelf at your local Slugngrub is far less humane than a bullet to the back of the head on a missed shot.

Nothing wrong with a little sport, as long as you are not wasteful.

Being naive about how your food ends up at the grocery store is a far bigger offense in my opinion.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

...and that's why there is no intelligent explanation…it's a 'sport'.

14. I couldn't do it.

I am fully aware of where meat comes from and I eat it every day. But I personally couldnt hunt an animal like that. I have nothing against hunting, as long as it is for food. In some instances, it is necessary for population control. I am just saying that I couldnt do it.

15. CausticYarn

I highly doubt 2fer shot that squirrel for food. I have had to look at that dead rodent all weekend on facetoobs. It just looks sad.

In response to the "tough squirrel" comment - boil them till they are soft in a pot of stock and then toss them in the crockpot on low with what ever seasonings and liquid you want. Should help - much like rabbit.

16. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

If you hunters want to hunt for sport, then might I suggest you arm yourselves only with a Bowie knife and go after a grizzly bear / lion / cape buffalo etc. Now, that would be sport.

All joking aside, we already kill enough animals, intentionally and accidentally, to suit me. I don't understand the desire to kill any more in the name of "sport". I don't look down my nose at hunters, but I once shot a deer and wounded it. When I walked up to the critter to put it down, it looked up at me as though it knew what was about to come and made the most pitiful sounds I've ever heard. I took care of business, but the experience marked me good. Never again.

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

And you would be wrong. He is skinned, cleaned, quartered and wrapped in the freezer waiting to be cooked when I get home (currently in Ohio). I eat what I kill if I am hunting something edible. If it is population control such as ferel hogs, coyotes, or raccoons than many times not.

18. When I was 8 years old the stepdad i had at that time bought me a BB gun. He was really big into hunting and being my only father figure, i looked up to him and wanted to be like him, etc. I hid behind a tree and shot a bird that was about 10' away. At first i was all excited because i couldnt believe i had actually hit it. Then when i got up to it, it was barely moving its wings and was about to die. I can still remember thinking that i would give anything if i could undo it.

That was the last time i hurt an animal of any kind.

Like i said, not dissing anybody; i eat meat every day. But i personally couldn't hunt an animal and kill it. I don't have it in me.

19. CausticYarn

I like being wrong in these cases. The banter didn't make it seem like it was going to be eaten :)

20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I'll post pictures of him in the pan. :D