1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yea there’s definitely some guns that understandably qualify for safe Queen status. I have a couple that are. One is a 130 year old rifle that’s been in the family for 5 generations that I’m honestly scared of hurting, especially considering it’s in great condition.

My other safe Queen is a Colt 1911 that was given to me by my grandfather. Based on the research I’ve done, it’s one of the less desirable ones colt ever made and I can kind of see why. Stove pipes a bit and just generally isn’t a great shooter in my opinion. But he bought it from my dad a few years before my dad passed and then later gave it to me so it has a good bit of sentimental value. But I don’t particularly enjoy shooting it and the ammo costs more than my 9s that I enjoy more.

He also gave me a Mauser k98 that I absolutely love shooting but ammo for it isnt cheap so it does come out periodically but less than most others.

that said, all my fancy guns get used quite regularly.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Reloading is your friend.
    Curious, what caliber?

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I know 460 weatherby is getting close to that. Luckily I bought a few boxes back when and I have zero targets that require that round. May need to go to Africa some day to get a Buffalo

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've got a dead air Ghost that I use on the FNX and FN509t. Both worth very well. I had assumed the 45 would be my go to (I shoot pistols lefty so prefer ambi pistols) but now that I've been shooting the FN509 with the can, I'm leaning towards that one. It's just very smooth shooting and 147gr bullets are pretty damn quiet.

Now to find a 502 to complete the setup. :)

SHOT show is in a few weeks.. anyone going to be there? should be some new stuff coming out, but Sig already pulled out a few weeks ago I think.

5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve thought about going but I’m so over flying it’s not funny. Maybe some day I’ll make it.

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

got an extra ticket? :)
    and yes id love to find a 502 also

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

577/450 Martini-Henry. I don't shoot it often.

8. Sherry E SANDRUCK

Sherry E SANDRUCK Active Member

I had an NFA trust made in VA back around 2016 was $100 ( learned of him thru the range I belonged to)
    The Law Office of John Pierce
    276-206-9615

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would assume that it’s hard to obtain brass/ ammo for such a vintage firearm?

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It can be formed from brass 24ga shotgun shells, but I'm reluctant to spend what it would cost to set up for that. Buffalo Arms makes a batch of ammo occasionally, so I try to buy a box when they have it in stock.

speedluvn likes this.
  11. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’m at shot every year. It’s work so it’s not all that fun. The after parties can be over the top (crye precision) but if you want to see the latest, It’s the place. It’s a tactical sema show with tight grunt style shirts and molan lobe beards.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

This made me laugh out loud. Size smedium shirts for all.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Shit. Ima have to get one of them.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Question for the gunsmithy types - have a knights armament upper. Need to change the muzzle device, cant find the proprietary knights barrel extension action wrench in stock anywhere, nor can I find any smiths around here who have one. Muzzle device is rockset on so this tool is a bit of a necessity.

does anybody have any alternative ideas for getting this changed or know of a guy that will work on knights stuff that I could maybe ship my upper to?

16. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I might have the wrench. Send me a pic of the brake/hider. If I do you can send it to me and I’ll get it swapped.

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Interestingly enough, I shot my buddy's 509C and his 502-Suppressed.
    The 502 was pretty fun to shoot. Oddly it shot better with the suppressor (cycled better) on than off. Quite a fun gun. The sights were odd, in that all three dots were actually blacked out. Normal sights, just no dots.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@Gorilla George
    So I finally took out my Canik TP9-SFX and had my buddy bring his Walther Q5-Match so I could do a side by side comparison.

Canik
    Slightly more blocky in the overall grip.
    Trigger reset was a bit longer compared to the Q5-Match.
    1st shot and subsequent shots had similar feel to the force needed to pull it.
    Very nice magazine eject button.
    Easy slide/release after loading second magazine.

Walther Q5-Match
    Very planted grip in my large paws (wear a size 11 HELD Glove)
    Initial first pull was good. Second pull was VERY VERY light
    VERY short reset for follow up shot. I mean VERY.
    Standard magazine ejection port.
    Easy slide/release after loading the second magazine.

Neither had a red-dot on them, so it was just iron sights (Both had the front red fiber optic and black out back dovetails).
    After shooting 5 magazines through the Canik, I then did another through the Canik, followed by 2x through the Q5.
    Fortunately my buddy told me about the short reset and light pull required for the follow up shots, but even so it took me by surprise how short & light they were.

I would imagine with more time on the Q5, I could work pretty well with it. It's definitely a high quality machine and very well put together.
    Also, with more time on the Canik, I could work pretty well with it. It's not a high a quality of a piece, but it's very good.

If I had unlimited $$, I'd get a Q5-Match or current .
    Since I don't, the $500 for the Canik, and the $1000 extra that I didn't spend to get a Q5 ($1,500+) will serve me for ammo and time with the gun.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    :beer:

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Adco firearms can most likely do it. Give them a ring.

20. Very good review, and I agree completely.

The Q5 match is a better gun. That can’t be argued. Mine is one of my favs.

But in the $500 price range, is there a better gun on the market than the big Canik? The chances are slim to none.