1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

are those two the same exact size?

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The 509C is the compact.
    My understanding is the 502 is the same as the standard 509, but didn't have a direct comparison. The 502 was bigger than the 509C though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    sanee likes this.
  3. Jedb

I agree with you. At this time, I believe that at that price point, there's really not as decent an out of the box match gun.
    I can't think of that many improvements that would make it $1000 better..
    Maybe add a flared magwell option like the Q5 has, or issue the Canik with a match trigger?

Other than magazines, and one trigger, I haven't seen many aftermarket items for the TP9-SFX.

Thinking either Holosun 507 or 407.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

gotcha as im not quite good on fn pistols other than i want the 502 but have yet to try it. was at a store a month ago and they had the 509 but stupid me didnt think of holding that to try fitment. i was thinking the c meant compensated duh

5. I am more and more impressed with the Walther PDP. Every time I shoot it, it impresses me.

I got back in the country and went to the range, and the PDP was the first one I shot.

So these were my first shots in almost 5 weeks. This was at a little over 8 yards.

2A3FAC23-EF46-4046-855E-D368FBA8FA70.jpeg

I wasn’t going for the middle of the head, I was going for the first hole. So I raised it and shot the first round, then tried to the rest of them through the same hole.

Obviously I wasn’t successful, but for my first shots in 5 weeks, I was pretty proud of it.

It wasn’t “rapid fire”, but I didn’t fuck around either. I paused 1-1.5sec between shots to focus/reset, then let it fly.

RonR and Jedb like this.
  6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Hey all: I have two questions:

1. For a handgun, is there any reason to use a .45 handgun (vs 9mm)? Got a friend who may trade me one of his handguns he's letting go. But I'm thinking about the recoil and follow-up accuracy. Gun of interest is a S&W MP2 with a few farkles that I like.

2. Does anyone use only a single layer of hearing protection and find an advantage over two-layers (ear plugs plus headphones)? I see people wearing bluetooth ear buds but I've not explored them until now. Not sure a single layer is for me though.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

1) 45 is nice and fun to shoot but for sure the 9mm with the latest ammo does a great job of terminal ballistics, as well as being easier to shoot, less recoil, and follow up shots. If it's a good deal and you like the pistol, get it. I've got 9, 40, 45's and like all of them. Bought a 45 thinking it would be my "go to" pistol, but the 9mm version has really been fun to shoot and will probably take over.
    2) if you are shooting indoors and there are others with big calibers/rifles, double bagging is a good thing. Probably depends a LOT upon what kind of headphones you have (cheap walmarts don't do as good a job as MSA Sordins).

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

As far as a shooting for fun gun 9 vs 45 is opinion based and if you like it that’s all that matters. As a carry gun that argument will go on forever. I like the capacity and feel of a carry 9 and ammo performance is so close I choose to carry 9.
    Hearing protection is like clothing. Wear lite layer and work up as needed. I start with zero if I’m shooting suppressed or 22. Foam plugs covers most of the rest but indoors , barricades
    and brakes can ramp me up to form fit ear plugs. The kind that’s made from a soft resin that’s shoved into the ear and sets up solid to fit perfect. A good headset is all that’s needed but I hate shooting with those on especially rifles.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

1. What do you mean by use? Target practice? Definitely 9mm. Protection? Either. I practice with my EDC regularly because I want muscle memory when in a high stress situation. Putting a 100-200 rounds through it is not unusual. 9mm this would cost me about $28-35.00, .45 this would be more like $39.00-50.00 per hundred. That's a fair amount of change over a year.

2. Don't cheap out on hearing protection. I like active hearing protection because I can hear people on the range but the passive devices usually are a little better at blocking sounds. To be honest as with most things in life you get what you pay for. I've heard adding foam plugs will improve the rating of headphones by about 5-10db. I use the Howard Leight impact walker headphones and if there are big guns at the range I'll add foam plugs. I get 22db with the muffs plus 10 for the plugs so 32 decibel reduction. Firearms are in the range of 140db. Drop that 32 and its about the noise level of a chainsaw running. Still loud but not painful.

https://www.howardleightshootingspo...ion-electronic-shooting-earmuff-classic-green

These can be found much cheaper than the link above. I paid about $50.00

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. They pretty much covered it.

I have carried both at one point or another, but ultimately (at least in recent years) settled on a 9mm.

When you consider capacity vs recoil vs quicker/more accurate follow up shots, a 9mm with quality HP ammo is more than sufficient.

I like shooting .45’s, and 2 of my primary home defense weapons are AR-45’s. But in terms of EDC, I think a 9mm is the best all-around option.

Hearing protection - I always wear foam earplugs, with headphones over them. Always. Indoors and out.

Hearing loss is cumulative. If something seems “a little too loud”, then it is. The problem is that many people will think “Eh, you get used to it”.

The thing is, there is no such thing as “getting used to” loud noises. You simply lose enough of your hearing until it doesn’t bother you anymore.

My dad spend years building motors, drag racing, and working offshore…without hearing protection. Now he can’t hear fuckall without his hearing aids in.

It might seem like I’m rambling, but this is something I feel strongly about. NEVER sell yourself short when it comes to hearing protection. Once you lose any, it’s gone. Permanently. That’s it. After enough years of that, you’ll find yourself like my dad.

Gecko and RonR like this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

https://www.knightarmco.com/13187/s...r-15-parts/kac-barrel-extension-action-wrench
    This is the tool that is apparently required. Because of Knights proprietary lug design, you can't use anything else and trying to remove the muzzle without it is just asking to bind/twist the upper, barrel, etc. Or at least this is what the smiths I've talked to both said as an explanation for why they won't work on it and a little bit of reading on other forums suggest this to be true so seems I have to find someone with the actual Knights tool as nobody makes an aftermarket version that works.

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Looked at their website and it looks hopeful. I'll try to give them a call soon. Got excited when I saw they were located in Ohio as I'm in Cincy regularly visiting my wife's family but then I saw they are in the northernmost part of Ohio. Bummer. Really hate dealing with shipping shit. But may not have a choice.

14. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@RonR , @dobr24 , @Gorilla George -- thanks. All good points. The headphones are a bit annoying esp shooting the shotgun/rifles. I'm gonna try @dobr24 's suggestion for a slimmer set. I normally double-up (esp indoors). Just wanted to see if there was a single-layer option that's better. Doesn't sound like it.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2099196673
    Couldn’t agree more with GG. I worked on race engines and hotrods through out my twenties and my hearing definitely took a beating. These are what I use with the loud stuff and they have a decent db rating but clearly a headset can do more. Wear as much as you can tolerate.

DmanSlam and Gorilla George like this.
  16. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

All of this is personal preference. On the caliber topic, for me it depends on the gun. I only have one gun in .45 caliber, and it's a Kimber 1911 (thanks to Broome!). I wouldn't have a 1911 any other way. It's heavy so recoil is pretty low, and surprisingly I'm more accurate with it than my other 2 handguns which are 9mm. But with other types of handguns I usually go for 9mm. Ammo is cheaper so that's a big factor for me.

On the hearing protection topic, I use ear muffs always. I have 2 types...the bulky 30 db reduction ones and the slimmer Walker Razor Slim ear muffs which are something like 26 or 27 db?? Can't remember for sure. I can't stand ear plugs, and because of that I'm sure my hearing has taken a beating in 10 years of track days and racing motorcycles without ear plugs. So I don't fuck around with that while shooting guns so I use ear muffs. The Walker slim ones are slim enough that they don't get in the way when I shoot rifles. With handguns it doesn't matter obviously.

DmanSlam and Gorilla George like this.
  17. Jedb

I don't have a 45, so 9mm is my default. I have an HK USP-40 that's also in the mix, but that's not my carry gun. As others have said, it's a personal decision weighing capacity, recoil, and accuracy.

For ear protection:
    10+ years of bicycle racing/training of 300 Mile weeks with my walkman turned way up to drown out the wind noise hasn't been great for my hearing in the long run. As a result of that, for hearing protection, I always double up, even if shooting suppressed. I want to keep what hearing I have left.

For hearing protection, I always double up, even if shooting suppressed. Foam plugs and the electronic protection with link below:
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/walkers-razor-series-slim-shooter-electronic-ear-muffs
    The plugs help with the noise, and the muffs help with the concussive effect of the sound waves around that portion of the ear system.
    Never ever shoot next to a rifle with a muzzle brake. It's just concussive and not worth it.

DmanSlam likes this.
  18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024158574?pid=973196

I make anyone hunting with me wear these. Regardless of suppressed or not. I've got tinnitus in my left ear due to suppressed AR shooting, growing up hunting without ear pro, and 8 years of the music business. The microphone on these work really well and that helps for night hunts where I have to help people who can't see at night and I have to do a bit of communicating with hogs 20- 50 yards away from us.

walker game ears are good too.

On the Range I'll double up. Too many dweebs with muzzle brakes and indoor ranges always double up.

DmanSlam likes this.
  19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I just go on FBI stats, that even highly trained law enforcement personnel are very inaccurate in a gun fight. So, for me, 9mm is the way to go to get as many rounds on target as possible and hope for 20% hitting the target. I feel I can do that more accurately and quicker with a 9 mm. Heck, a .22 nearly killed Reagan. Unless they are cranked out, a 9mm round or three will put an end to, or seriously hamper, a threat

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have to think that 3 rounds of .22 will have the same effect on everyone who's not flying high! I don't care how much adrenaline an attacker has once you start putting holes in them it's going to make them think about their actions a little harder.