1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have the GSG 1911-22 (not the Firefly), the wife and I both like it a lot. It does not like cheap lrn ammo (like many .22 semi-autos). I'd like to try a Kel-tec P17, but can't find one locally.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I wouldn't worry about recoil with a .22

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Check out 22 plinkster on youtube for lots of good .22 reviews

4. redtailracing

By the way, I'm currently trying to unload 1k round case of Winchester 115gr FMJ. Tried to work some trades for match rifle ammo on my local forum but couldn't agree on an exchange rate with anyone. At this point, I think I'm just going to sell it. $400 + shipping (if applicable, would rather do local pickup) for my WERA peeps. Anybody here want dibs?

Mods, I know you're not supposed to sell in general but obviously with current ammo situation, I shouldn't have any problem doing that on my local board and saving myself the hassle of shipping. Just trying to give my WERA family first dibs on a hookup so hope this is ok. If not, just let me know.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I'd be up for that, but I would be a "shipping" scenario here. Understand if you prefer to sell locally.

6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Seriously, look into green gas airsoft pistols if you want to keep your training up with a super small cost compared to anything live firearm related. Even 22lr is ridiculous right now.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Ive been meaning to make some kind of register. Ive also been trying to decide if I want to change my EDC (currently use the Hellcat). So I put this list together of some of my smallest ones to help me make an educated decision. Maybe it will help others also.

The stated capacity includes the round in the chamber, and it is with the biggest OEM magazine option. Most of them come with a smaller magazine if size is the biggest factor someone considers, but I always run the largest magazine.

I will list them left to right as in the picture (which is also arranged smallest to largest overall). I will make the “best” figure in each category bold (“best” is defined by either largest capacity, or smallest dimension).

The “L” figure is taken from the end of the barrel, to the further most point (end of the tail). The “T” figure is taken from the top of the slide (optic excluded), to the end of the magazine. The “W” figure is taken at the widest point on the grip.

Springfield Hellcat OSP - 9mm
    Capacity - 14
    6” L x 4-1/2” T x 15/16” W

Glock 43X - 9mm
    Capacity 16*
    6-1/8 L x 5-1/8” T x 1” W
    *Shield Arms magazine.

Springfield XD-S - 9mm
    Capacity 10
    6-1/2” L x 5-1/8” T x 1” W

Springfield XD-E - 45ACP
    Capacity 8
    6-3/8” L x 5-1/2” T x 15/16” W

Canik TP9 Elite SC Tungsten - 9mm
    Capacity 16
    6-1/2” L x 5-1/8” T x 1-1/16” W

H&K VP9-SK - 9mm
    Capacity 16
    6-1/2” L x 5-1/2” T x 1-3/16” W

Springfield XD-9 SubCompact - 9mm
    Capacity 17
    6-1/8” L x 5-1/2” T x 1-3/16” W

.. DBE3BF37-83C2-4FEA-9527-BF06B0A6A95A.jpeg

Few notes (mostly personal opinions):
    The XD-9 SC is the heaviest, but it is also the best shooting IMO (I haven’t shot the Canik yet). But its overall size/weight make it the least viable EDC option. It would be great for a backpack or something like that, or an EDC while wearing a belt and jacket. But with summer type clothes, it is too large and too heavy.
    Hellcat is the lightest, just barely lighter than the Glock 43X.

The H&K and Canik fit in my hand the best. When I first grabbed the Canik, my initial thought was “it feels just like the VP-9 SK”. And by holding it I figured they were about the same size, which they are. However the Canik is a little shorter and thinner, while having the same capacity (and has an optic, which is a big factor for me).

Of course there are tons of great options out there, especially if someone wants to use a different caliber. But these are the small ones I have at the moment. Based on the numbers (size, weight, and capacity), the Hellcat OSP is the obvious choice. However, I will wait until I have shot the Canik to make my final decision.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  9. redtailracing

Something I've found is the holster makes a bigger difference than the size of the gun. At least in my case. My VP9 is more comfortable to carry and prints less than my other guns despite being the biggest. And it's all due to the holster.

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  10. Agreed.

I rarely ever wear jeans and a jacket. I hate wearing jeans. I am always either in shorts, or some type of running pants...with a t-shirt. So for EDCing, I use the AlienGear belt (think weightlifting belt), which incorporates an IBW holster. That lets me carry while just in shorts and a t-shirt.

That’s also why I EDC a smaller gun. I know some people carry a midsize, or even a full size gun and get away with it. It all depends on your body type/build, and clothes. I personally can’t get away with it.

If I could get away with it, I have a lot of guns that are the “next size” up from these, and I would have a lot more options. By next size up, I’m referring to ones like the P320 Compact, VP-9, Ruger Security-9, FN-509, etc. But unless it is super cold and I need a jacket, I just can’t get away with it. They all print way too bad.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  11. redtailracing

If you don't mind appendix, try the Tier 1 Axis Slim. If I remember correctly, your build is not terribly different that mine (ok you might have a better muscle to fat ratio but dimensionally we are pretty similar if I remember correctly). You won't be able to wear it with gym shorts or running pants as it requires a belt but I wear it with shorts and a t-shirt regularly with no issue and I went through a half dozen holsters with 3 different guns before finding this one. Hell, I even carry a spare mag in mine. You can even add a wedge pack to your order to change the fit once you get it although I haven't needed to with mine. The only note I'll make is if you get one to accommodate a light, be careful when you sit down. I may have given ol' righty the squeeze on accident a time or 2.

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I bought my wife the Ruger SR22 and she has really taken to it. She loves shooting it due to the light recoil.
    https://ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

13. What do you do when driving? Does it bother you, or do you take it out while in the car?

14. redtailracing

Nope, just leave it in as long as I'm not driving more than a couple hours. Anything over that, I'll take it out.

15. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

The US-1 is a holographic sight, similar to the Eotech, and yes similar price also. But the others I mentioned are all red dots and much more affordable. A red dot is a red dot. The design of it doesn't matter. Some are just small enough to fit on pistols, but I don't think there really is "pistol red dots" and "rifle red dots". I have the Venom on my AR and the Viper on a shotgun, and they work great. I wanted something smaller, not bulky. The SPARC I put on my Scorpion which is technically considered a pistol (9 mm). I know the military would never put small "pistol" red dots on their M4's because they're not rugged enough for real military duty, which sometimes involves dropping your rifle. But for civilian use, mostly at the range, they work perfectly fine.

16. I just had a box of 1000 rounds of Speer 9mm FMJ show up. Don’t even remember ordering that shit. :crackup:

I’m sure one of you fuckers posted a link at some point and made me impulse click.

17. Gotta say, this little XD-S Mod 2 OSP is a cool little gun.

It came with a 7 and 9 mags, and I ordered an 8.

With the 8 installed, it fits perfectly in my hand. The 9 extends down past my pinky, a little (and makes it a good bit taller than the Hellcat). I don’t mind that, but the extra length will make it print more.

The grip itself is wider. Well, not wider as in thickness (it’s a single stack), but wider meaning front to back. That makes it fit my hand better than the Hellcat.

And the barrel being a little longer means my finger falls into the trigger easier and more natural. With the Hellcat I have to kinda bring my middle knuckle out, and fold my finger into the trigger.

The only thing is that it has less capacity, due to the Hellcat being double stack.

18. Really impressed with Trijicon customer support.

I did the “contact us” email thing through their website and asked about the mounting bolts. I told him mine were damaged when trying to install the SRO on the Glock.

The bolts being damaged wasn’t the fault of Trijicon; it was Glocks bullshit that caused it.

I got a reply in less than an hour. He told him he will throw drop some replacement bolts to me in the mail (free). And he also found and sent me a link to where I can buy a pack of them off Amazon.

I know shits hectic for them right now. So that quick and helpful of a response is awesome.

19. I just realized I’m sitting here posting random shit, basically talking to myself. :crackup:

The wife is supposed to be based in Copenhagen, but for almost the past year she has been working from home.

I’m waiting on her to get ready so we can go to the gym. So I’m sitting in her office, huffing and grunting and shit, trying to put pressure on her to hurry the hell up. :D

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Pretend you're having fun.
    She'll be ready and end that in a snap....
    :D

Gorilla George likes this.