1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. My bad. You mentioned 1911 and I went off on a rant. :D

I don’t like the narrow grip on 1911’s. The issue isn’t the mainspring housing, that is fine. My “issue” is with “filling the gap” on the sides.

Where you typically get callouses from gripping a hammer, baseball bat, etc...that area.

The front-to-back area is fine. It’s that side area that is too narrow for me. That is why I like the Sigs and their “fat” round grips.

So if I was to change anything, it would be the side plates. If I put on some thicker side plates, it would probably be fine. But I haven’t bothered because the gun is shittastic.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

When did you submit?

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Dec 29th.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm not a big guy, 5'11"/170, and I had some control issues with my 1911 trying to get a good hold. It fit, but it seemed "loose". Thinking I could tighten my grip by shortening the front-to-back length of the side panels, I installed a flat mainspring housing. That wasn't doing what I thought it would so I threw on some UncleMike's rubber finger grips, I think they came with rubber side panels, too...can't remember, they've been on forever now. Anyway, that worked so well that I went back to an arched mainspring housing and now it's perfect. Based on what you said about the side thickness, I think that may have been my issue as well but it seems my solution was to lengthen the side of the grip while making the side panels more tacky. It's so good and secure, I swear it couldn't be pried out of my hand even after I'm dead. :D
    IMG_0335.jpg

Attached Files:

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Steak Travis

Got the psa upper and changed the barrel to a ballistic advantage 12.5 so I could use my Surefire suppressor. Took me 11 minutes to do the barrel change and everything seems good to go. Only thing is the upper magwell lines don’t match up with the lower exactly but it’s just cosmetic

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

If you ever start shooting the 1911 a lot more, try a set of Lok palm swell grips. I have medium hands but had the same issue with a CZ I was shooting in comps. I wanted as much hand contact as possible. The Lok Bogies palm swell are a pretty aggressive texture and fixed that issue right up for me.

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  7. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

8. I like the looks and specs of that.

Im going to the range again today, but im going to stop by a larger gun store on the way. The indoor range i go to is part of a gun store, but there is a larger gun store with a wider selection on the way. If anyone carries CZ, they will.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So I need to set up a gun trust with my nephew to transfer some special items to him if something should happen to me. Is it worth paying someone to do it for $750.00 or just do it online for about $100.00. I normally leave the important stuff to professionals and my gut tells me this is one of those things. Any gotchas that I should know about before setting this up? I know there was a discussion before on the beeb but I can't find it, apparently I have weak google foo.

10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

what state are you in? ive been meaning to do one also and someone passed info to a lawyer to do this in Ga. If im not mistaken its only $100 thru him but i could be wrong

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You can pass these things as property in a will, unless they are Class III (NFA) items.
    That being said, if you PM me your email, I'll send you a copy of the NFA trust and you can modify it for your use.
    I have multiple NFA items in my trust, so I know it's valid from a legal standpoint.

dobr24 likes this.
  12. Steak Travis

yeah 750 for a trust is too much. I used a legit lawyer in town who specializes in them back before all the online trusts were available and it was maybe $200

dobr24 likes this.
  13. Well they didn’t have a CZ-10, that’s the one I wanted to check out.

He said they should have one next week, but I was already here, so I grabbed the H&K VP-9 (full size) since it matches the SK I got last week. :D

DCD3603F-05E6-4610-8DA7-588C58854C76.jpeg

Triple X likes this.
  14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

How long till Broome goes ballistic for his background coming back on hold?

15. :crackup:

I never buy more than 5 in a 30-day period. Which means this VP9 is the last one I’ll buy for a few weeks. But that’s fine because I get my spine rebuilt Friday.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You may also want to look at the CZ-75. It has a .22lr upper which would allow you to have cheap trigger time.
    Pistol Series: https://cz-usa.com/product-category/handguns/75-full-size-series/
    Kadet Upper: https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-kadet-adapter-ii-22-lr-adj-sights-10-rd-mags-will-fit-omega-system/

The Shadow2 is one of the best out of the box guns I've ever fired.

17. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

is 5 a month like the dont put more than $10k in a bank or red flags fly??

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Why do you diddle around...you need a Gatling Gun...made from the guts of 2 Ruger 10/22 rifles and a trick kit. Burns cheap ammo. :D

[​IMG]

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

with the volume of background checks going on now, expect to get held up for no apparent reason. 2 of 3 purchases of mine got held in the last 4 months (the first time being two .22's and my first gun purchase in 20+ years)

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's like you don't know Broome at all...
    not tacticool
    no buttons
    looks old
    cheap ammo?? what's that?