1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Photo likes this.
  2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Lol, too chunky. I'm talking Sig 938 or Springfield 911 type size since my suits are on the slender side. Everything prints, though it's only really a few weeks out of the year where it's so hot I have to take my jacket off.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In light of some recent posts and a more recent introduction to this guy's YouTube videos (Paul Harrel), I put a vid in the appropriate thread titled - Five Things to Have for Concealed Carry.

Mr. Harrel's vids seem to be the most genuine, common sense approach to the plethora of gun vids I've seen in a long time...not that I frequent that vid category much. His shit is worth a look.

rk97 likes this.
  4. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

This is like the circle of hoarding. Person A buys a fuck ton of ammo to prepare for... something. Never uses it all because they're continually buying more than they're using, then they die and the cycle starts anew.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In the event that an ammo hoard is necessary, I can wait 'til the hoarder dies...or help them reach that end if they refuse to have me as an ally (I have an unique set of skills... :crackup:).
    Either way, I'll have ammo and not anyone other than this guy's allies will have jackshit to say about it. Keep in mind that my level of hoarding necessity requires that shit is so bad that the police have no one to pay them and our military has bigger problems and concerns. Y'all just keep those ammo companies in business 'til then. :D

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I know you're being facetious, but I think it's WAY beyond unlikely that I (or 99.999% of us) will ever be in a shootout with a skilled opponent. LEO's, active military, and drug dealers should be concerned with "stopping power". The rest of us are just playing (some a LOT more seriously that others). I bought 5k rounds because that's what it took to get a good price with shipping. If I could stroll into walmart or whatever and be sure that I could buy a box or 2 whenever at similar prices I'd keep maybe 100 rounds on hand.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. There are 6 places to get ammo within a 10mi radius of my house, so that’s how it’s been. I’ve never felt a need to hoard anything. Hell, I’ve never even needed to order online.

TN doesn’t have any crazy restrictions or necessary permits or background checks or any of that for ammo. You just grab it off the shelf and check out, just like you are buying peanut butter or some shit.

Obviously, after seeing how things are now, I’m second guessing the non-hoarding.

OGs750 likes this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd rather be shot with $1 worth of 22LR any more that $1 worth of 9mm...

Jedb, scottn and OGs750 like this.
  9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Since January I probably went though 5k rounds of 22's . 5k sounds a lot to some people ( not saying you) but in the month of February I went through around 3000 rounds of 22's and was on pace to do it again in March till all the virus struck. Like you said it is cheaper and easier to buy in bulk. To find someone in walmart to open the ammo case around here requires an act of congress.

10. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

I bought 9mm ammo about 3 weeks ago - I got 500 rounds for 89.00 (1/2 case) and could of cleaned them out, but left the other 4 half cases behind. If the shit goes sideways I'm not gonna go for my pistol anyway. On the other hand I've been buying 556 ammo off and on for years and have enough the worst boogaloo situation. If there's on thing I've learned over the past few weeks it's the importance of having a "pandemic kit" in addition to my first aid kit. I'll be filling a plastic tote with alcohol, N95 masks and all the shit I wish I could get my hands on now.

Jedb likes this.
  11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

the idea of stock piling ammo is not because of "if shit hits the fan" situation but more so you might not be able to buy certain brands at certain prices. Example Few years ago s&b 9mm was $240 a case and recently (before this madness) it was around $175 a case. Same deal with "high capacity" magazines

dobr24 and Steeltoe like this.
  12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense when people pass away with 10,000 rounds, but at least the savings get passed along to the next hoarder during the estate sale :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Or 6 motorcycles in your garage or money in the bank or etc etc.......Dying can ruin a lot of plans. God willing I plan on shooting all my ammo before I die. lol

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Now that I think of it, I think I"ll put that in my will. Anyone at the funeral is invited to go somewhere and shoot up 75% of my ammo stock. Would be fun to see everyone shooting a bunch of odd ball rifles/pistols/shotguns. :Pop:

blkduc likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Do we have to figure out which lake they were lost in first? ;)

gt#179 likes this.
  16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

[​IMG]

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

There is a reason the gun and ammo companies are so profitable. And it isn't continuous improvement cost reductions. It's sales volume! Don't begrudge him. The reason every sporting goods store has hundreds of thousands of dollars of ammo on the shelves at almost all times is cause people buy it, lots and lots of it.

In a Sportsman's Warehouse before the apocalypse and dang, no counting how much money they had tied up in ammo. 30-06, in 130, 150, 180 grain dozens of boxes from dozens of manufacturers. And don't even try to guess how much .223/5.56 and 9mm. Tons and tons and tons.

I was at a Safari Club International banquet this winter. Sat with some guys who all owned over 200 guns. Is that hoarding? Who knows, they're collectors, rich bastard collectors...