1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That makes too much sense. :D

It's odd, the things that reveal themselves with firearms and their owners.

Mid-'90s, I bought a...
    - Colt 6601...that's a MilSpec, heavy barrel, 1/7 twist AR, $700. It shoots for shit, but I've never sat down to run good ammo through it. It deserves better.
    - Rem 700 BDL .308 HB Varmint Special with Redfield LE9 and Bell&Carlson stock, $1100. Not too particular about the ammo I ran, mostly surplus, but it's always been a straight shooter. Bullet holes within contact of each other, call it .5-.7MOA?
    - Colt 1991A1, parkerized, first gen., $600(?). Sloppiest gun I've ever seen and spreads bullets everywhere, but damned if I can't hit first round every time, even a propane tank at 100yds.

Fast forward to the '00s...
    - H&K P7M8, $1600. Can't miss. Almost don't even have to aim. Groups tight as a fist/50'. Otherwise, not a fan of 9mm.
    - Barrett M82A1M with Leupold MkIV, case, etc., $9750. Another MilSpec gun that doesn't shoot for shit with $4 rounds, can't find surplus and I'm not about to spend $8/rd to see how good it might be, yet. Why buy something like that in the first place? It was 2008...'nuff said.

Latest addition, couple years ago...
    - Armalite AR10 SASS with Steiner on Spuhr, ~$5K. I only shoot FGMM ammo in it. Bullets go in the same hole, sub-caliber MOA. Rapid fire as defined by the CMP is 10rds/1min; I launch 10rds in 20-30 seconds at 1000yds, 5" groups. (Oh, and yeah, the wind is all over the place. :D)
    It's a pig...and in my book, worth every penny.

So, what am I sayin'? I don't know...money buys happiness?

It has been a long, long, loooonng-ass time since I competed in any kind of program. Everything up to the Armalite was, basically, just fer plinkin'...defense purposes and maintaining skills/familiarity was gravy.
    I intend to shoot the 700 more studiously after some 'smith work, it has throat erosion and some muzzle discrepancies. I know it's better than a .5MOA platform, I just never pursued it. It came out of a box, went straight to the armorer's bench that only touched up what was there (barrel relief, trigger adjust) and it's been my tack driver for the last 20+ years through thousands of rounds of hot load surplus.

Is it the gun? Is it the shooter? Are some individuals inclined to do better with a particular ergo/platform?
    I think it's the shooter, but it takes a particular gun to bring out the shooter's best...and that gun has to be precise.

:beer:

wsmc 589 likes this.
  2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Going to build my first real deer rifle(even thought I've never hunted deer with a rifle, LOL). I have a Stevens 200( a relabelled non Accutrigger Savage 10) in 22-250 that I never shoot, that is going to be the donor.
    Ordering up a Criterion 26" Light Varmit taper in 7mm-08, threaded for a brake. I won a 50% off cert for any barrel from them, at a Border Wars match this summer.
    I'm going to put it in a Boyd's At-One stock and keep it as an internal box magazine, since it is a hunting rifle. I'll just run the current Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 that's already on the action, for now. Will probably put a Leupold with a CDS on it. Shooting 150's(ELD-X) it should be good to about 700 yards(1000ftlb rule).

3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. You touched on what I believe is the most important factor.... ammo. People will buy a 5K gun, then go to wal mart and purchase the cheapest ammo they can find and wonder why it won’t hold a group. I equate it to tires. That new Pani V4R ain’t gonna do shit on some crappy tires, neither is your (insert custom rifle name brand here) going to reach its potential with shitty ammo.

Having been lucky enough to attend Accuracy 1st twice now I can tell you first hand how simply heating up my 260 ammo on the dashboard on a cold morning in Texas got me close to another 100fps and changed my range card significantly at longer distances. What does this mean? Well without getting too deep in the weeds, it’s just easier to say.... it’s all about the ammo if the nut holding the grip hasn’t done anything to screw up the shot.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For both sides. :rolleyes:

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Out of all my tactisplooge guns, my browning a bolt 7mm-08 continues to produce. (Barrel cut to 19”)
    [​IMG]

casjoker likes this.
  7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Anyone here ever shoot a Berretta ARX 100 5.56?
    I just bought one ... should have it by end of the week.
    I liked the concept when they came out but nvr played with one.
    The gun never caught on and can be had CHEAP now. Got mine brand new for basically a third of the retail cost.

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Just ordered a 26" 7mm-08 barrel for my Savage.

casjoker likes this.
  9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I Let a friend who's never really deer hunted use the 7mm-08 this weekend and he smoked an 11point with it. It's my go to gun for people that don't shoot much because the recoil is easy, it's accurate, and it'll still knock em down if the shot isn't perfect. You didn't go wrong with the 7mm-08.

Got a couple more hogs with my 6.8 SBR driving around in the rain on Saturday. Deer weren't moving in the hard rain but the hogs were caught in the open a couple times.

casjoker and Steeltoe like this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I had a Lone Eagle(single shot handgun) in 7-08 and have wanted a hunting rifle chambered in it ever since. I'm putting a Criterion barrel on my 22-250 action with a Boyd's At-One stock. Eventually I want to put a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15x44 on it. It will have a brake on it too. Hoping to launch 150ELD-Xs at or over 2800.

Steak Travis likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Felt SMALL? No offense but I thought your primary complaint was going to be little hand related.

I actually fell in love with that model, it was my first s/a duty weapon. I had the M13 assigned to me but I wound up purchasing an M8 used from an officer who's PD was upgrading to .45 caliber. I will NEVER sell that semi, one of my all time favorite 9mm guns. I still think that model made a great LE duty weapon, God forbid it came loose during a scuffle and bad guy picks it up, there's a very good chance he won't know how to fire it......IMHO, it was one of the most accurate 9mm's I've ever shot.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I was a cop and undercover it might be my first choice. Some methed up dope head that got it away from you is most likely not going to ever figure out how to shoot it. :D

and it is small. SMALL!!!! :D

XFBO likes this.
  13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

My bros scorpion blew up in his hands today. He went to the hospital for hand injuries, dunno the extent yet. Was using factory loaded ammo... I don’t have pics yet, but he said it was the first shot of a new mag and it fired out of battery blowing the gun and magwell apart!

14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Jeez. I have a ton of rounds through mine. I'd like to know every detail about that when it's time. I really hope he's OK.

15. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

By the way...I had issues with the binary trigger for the Scorpion. It's going back to Franklin Armory for "inspection".

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

He’s fine, a fracture in his thumb. Got off lucky! I’ll post up some pics tomorrow. They found a piece 1/2 way down range, and will be sending him the video.

17. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Jesus. Looks like I’ll stay the hell away from the Scorpion.

Picked up an LMT CSW for home defense and picking off unsuspecting hogs. It’s been in NFA jail since August. Should have it in a few months. I’ll post up some pics when it comes in. Neatest sbr on the market, imho.

Link to vid:

XFBO likes this.
  18. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Is he planning to push this back to CZ? I wonder what exactly happened?

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Scary, I had my PSA AR-9mm feed a round out the ejector port somehow and when the bolt slammed shut it fired the round off. Loud as F--k and scared the shit out of me! It blew the mag out of the gun. Luckily the round apparently fired up and to shooters right so no one got hurt. Really shook me up. I also watched my cousin shoot a twelve gauge and the side of the gun blew apart on him. He walked away from it and we attributed it to the gun being older and the newer shell being a little hotter than normal. Amazing how fast stuff can go wrong.

Edit: Glad your brother is relatively OK!

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Freaking scary. I had a recent catastrophic failure in a Colt Pony handgun. Probably one of the scariest events of my life. No injury thank goodness. The unit is at Colt now being looked at.