1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I like the gun very much. The only downfall is that the barrel took a shit at 1150 rounds. Not sure why it eroded so much so soon. Could have just been a bad barrel. I'll be spinning g up a Criterion this winter(50% off certificate), and a Bartlein next winter.
    That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Steak Travis likes this.
  2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I just messaged a dealer I've been talking to about picking up a CTR. Should have one by end of the week next week I hope.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't think you'll regret it. 6.5, right?

4. Steak Travis

yep 6.5 . I've already got ammo and reloading stuff for 6.5. Would have gotten it sooner but life happens... and by life I mean a new NF for my 6.8 and a Steiner gs3 for my 30-06.

my m70 super grade 30-06 is pissing me off, every 20 rounds or so it has a light primer strike but I'm about to head to Birmingham AL next week and Marks outdoors is a winchester service center and they will be able to fix it. I'm glad I have a pretty wood rifle but the light primer strikes are making me not like it and making me want to bring out ol faithful browning a Bolt 7mm-08 for hunting.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

How old is the M70? Maybe just a spring?

6. Steak Travis

Brand new . Probably just a spring I think

7. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

My friends tikka 6.5 just started shooting shotgun patterns at around the 1100 to 1200 round count. It was easily a .5 moa gun. We have cleaned and even ordered a new stock for it but have finally figured it was the barrel. We just didn't think it would be shot out at this low a round count. All factory loads so nothing hot.

He's frustrated as hell. We shoot every weekend on his property and I think he's ordering a new gun this week. He's going to order a barrel for it from patriot valley arms but that will take months and he wants something to shoot until the barrel gets in.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you guys know someone with reloading equipment, and even better, a 6.5cm die set(otherwise he'd need to buy one), have them measure his chamber, then pull the bullets out a ways an reseat them for about a .015" jump. Then he can just wait for his barrel to come in.
    Are PVA barrels button cut or single point riflings? If button cut, I recommend going to a single point cut barrel maker(Bartlein and Kreiger would be the top 2), as they are arguably more accurate and last longer.

9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I’m looking for a new O/U to shoot sporting clays with. I’ve got a connection at bass pro checking with his buddy at Beretta to see what a DT11 runs for cost (6-8k is my guess) but I’m wondering if I can get something equal for a little less money.

Looking for something in 12ga, 32” or 34” barrels, and I don’t really want any engraving on it.

Suggestions?

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

New or new to you? Used Perazzi MX 8, go big...:)

11. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

We do have access to reloading, just never done it. The hornady 140 eldm's shoot so good we haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. We'll get with the guy with the equipment and give it a try.

I'm not sure what blanks PVA uses but they offer button and cut. I don't think he's ordered the barrel yet so I'll get him to research the difference before he orders.

Thanks!

12. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

New to me is fine

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you can have him measure the chamber(scrub the chamver really well first) and reseat the bullets, he may be able to keep shooting well till his barrel shows up.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

They do both. I have the button cut prefit on my Nucleus action, the one that you shot. After yesterday's match I have 340 rounds through it. It's shooting better now too since I switched to the Hornadys.

15. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

How do you like the nucleus?

I almost ordered a John Hancock from pva but was scared of the wait time. Ended up with a masterpiece arms 6.5 and really like it so far.

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I like it. What you get for the money is incredible. I basically have the JH without the laser engraving, same action, chassis, barrel. I ordered everything on preorder at the cheaper price and already had a Bravo chassis. So I built it.

If you ordered one you would still be waiting because the ATF held those up and PVA could not ship them until all the paperwork was done. I think they are shipping soon. But you can't go wrong with MPA, good choice. Which action did you go with?

17. Steak Travis

6.5 ctr 24” barrel ordered :)

Leaning toward a Cronus and not sure yet what mount/ unimount I’m going to do. I heard getting the factory rail off was a pain in the butt

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I went Spuhr SP-3602 for my Viper PST Gen 2 5-25.

19. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

I got the Curtis axiom with West Texas ordinance switch lug. I’m liking it so far. The 60 degre bolt throw is nice and it’s really smooth for a 3 lug.
    I’m thinking about ordering a 224 Valkyrie barrel for it. I went to the precision rifle expo this year and shot one to 1050 and it was easy.

That or a new s&B scope. It’s a money pit like bikes but fun.

blkduc likes this.
  20. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Ok well I’m on the waitlist for the gen5 Glock 19 MOS. All the dealers here are sold out and only have showcase guns (no thanks). Hoping it doesn’t take more than a week. I asked how long the background check would take. He said “about five minutes” I said “no I mean the actual check not the paperwork” and he said “well as long as your record is clear, about five minutes”. Haha good ole Indiana! Thought it’d take a week minimum.