1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Now help me find out what I need to get with my first gun! I was gonna get some dummy rounds, ear muffs (what’s a good brand?), I have eye protection, what else?

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Get a nice range bag. Something that holds mags, ammo, oils, cleaners, some first aid supplies and misc. accessories. Even the smaller ones like a Glock bag are set to carry 4 guns but get something bugger. You'll thank yourself later.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  3. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Great advice on the range bag. Get a couple spare mags. Get a good holster, and a mag pouch. Just my opinion, but you shouldn't get in the habit of dry firing your gun so much that you need dummy rounds. Get some decent electronic muffs, I have Howard Leight electronics, and they're ok and cheap, but pinch my giant head after a while. Peltor's better, Pro-Ears might be the best, or just might be the most expensive, I don't know. My buddy bought some walkers, and he has a small head and says they pinch his head. Get a good hat, to keep hot brass out from behind your glasses, don't ask how I know.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Training.

5. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Ditto on that. If it's a handgun. And you are going to carry it. Don't waste money buying non-essential crap. Don't modify a stock gun. Triggers, springs, etc. are a waste of money. And will probably make your gun less reliable. Get some quality training, buy lots of ammo and practice. A lot.

6. TheGrouchyCat

Yea no mods going on this one. I got the MOS version because of the major grip update, but also because I’d like to have the option in the future to put a red dot on for range use only. I wouldn’t carry with a red dot.

7. TheGrouchyCat

Also what dimensions would you consider big enough for a bag? I agree though extra supplies like first aid etc. are worth getting a larger bag for.

8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

If you are interested in a Gen 4 with a leapold 2.5 moa red dot let me know. I bought it, shot it, didn't like it compared to my H&K VP9 so it just sits in the case.

9. BJR119

BJR119 Well-Known Member

lots and lots of training. no matter how safe or proficient you become, its not enough. Learn from as many instructors you can and have fun.

TheGrouchyCat and 600 dbl are like this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yup all good. Get a cleaning kit. Learn how to care for it, disassemble and clean. Parts break and wear out. They also get dirty if you use them.

Dummy rounds are great! Not just for dry fire. Mix a couple in with your load and you can
    1. Identify a flinch or other issue.
    2. Practice clearing a malfunction.

Dry fire, after safety, is the most important thing you can practice. Without question. Lots of confusion and misconceptions about it apparently. But guys like Koenig, Leatham, Chris Cheng and Miculek will tell you dry fire is at least 90% of being a good shot. And if you're a good shot you will have more fun at the range. Can't stress it enough, a lot of people neglect it for whatever reason when it's the most important training tool there is.

11. Timothy Landon

Shooting a handgun with a red dot requires a lot of getting use to. They have their advantages. But you have to train a lot with one to get good at acquiring the dot. It's not a natural point of aim. I love mine on my 9mm carbine. But could never get use to one on my handgun. I agree with dummy rounds. They will show you how much you unconsciously move the gun when you pull the trigger. The key to overall accuracy is how well you can hold the gun still when firing it. Very hard to do without a lot of correct practice.

12. TheGrouchyCat

Thanks but I’ve been set on the gen 5 since last spring. The new update just sold me on it.

13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:beer:

14. TheGrouchyCat

Yea I know about dummy round training from the longe range shooting group on Facebook. Once I graduate and get a real job I’ll get a nice Remington 700. Guy at the gun shop today told me to get his aluminum dummy rounds saying the plastic ones will break all the time, is that BS or true?

15. Timothy Landon

Don't buy a Remington 700. The new ones are poor quality. We had 3 of them that had to be returned for various reasons. And their customer service sucks. Their new shit is just that. Shit.

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I didn't find that, obviously a lot easier to acquire the dot with suppressor sights on the handgun. I have one on my glock and my nighthawk custom. Ridiculously easy to shoot well with the red dot. The combination of a thumbs forward grip and the suppressor sights make dot acquisition quick.

17. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Has anyone else gotten the X-Five? What a disappointment. I expected a tack driver, but it’s far from it. I shoot pretty damn well, but this thing just doesn’t work well for me.

18. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Last I checked, only 10 states have any kind of waiting period on a gun purchase.

Along with training, make sure you have a safe or gun locker to keep your Glock while its not in your possession. For the holster, try many as they is a large selection out there and what works and is comfortable for some is not for others.

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Ordered a Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm Glock from PSA. Had them for less than 4 bills today. Already thinking of mods.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

https://noisefighters.com/

Here is your solution. I have this upgrade and it's a gamechanger. No more headaches! I can wear mine all day at matches and be totally comfortable. My son upgraded his too and and says it made a huge difference for him. He's using them in high speed army stuff and they are good enough for his rough environment.