1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I've got several from AAC.
    For .308, I ended up getting the 7.62-SD. It's got a quick detach, and can also be used on the 5.56 and the 300blackout and my 6mm-Creedmore. Just put their flash-hider or brake on the end of your rifle and you are set. I've noticed pretty good noise reduction, but I also double up on hearing protection anyway (plugs + muffs).

For the 5.56 I got the AAC M4-2000. Identical set up, each rifle gets a flash hider and then the quick detach allows you to move it around.
    For both the 7.62-sd and the M4-2000, I did not notice a significant shift between shooting with the suppressor and without. I'm sure that's because most variation is down to my shooting, not the can.

For the 9mm, i bought the Ti-Rant-9 (now it's the Ti-Rant-9m for modular). This had several adapter types that could go in the back of the suppressor. 1/2 x 28, 1/2 x 32, 1/2 x 36, as well as the European threading of 13x1 right hand thread, and 13.5x1 left hand thread. I really like how it shoots with my Sig-229 and my Sig-320.

It used to be that buying with a trust was more flexible for use of the can (trustees could use without you being around if they were named on the trust). Since the ATF changed the rules on trusts, it's a more lengthy process, so my future suppressors are going to be individual purchase, not on the trust.

I would say that unless whichever suppressor you are looking at is able to be dis-assembled, you may want a separate one for the .22lr. .22 is pretty dirty and over time can reduce the suppression of noise due to residue build up.

I'm sure there are others on here that are more versed in the most recent offerings.

XFBO likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The trust changes are news. Are there other changes and do you have specific wording on the change you mentioned?

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

[QUOTE

It used to be that buying with a trust was more flexible for use of the can (trustees could use without you being around if they were named on the trust). Since the ATF changed the rules on trusts, it's a more lengthy process, so my future suppressors are going to be individual purchase, not on the trust.

I would say that unless whichever suppressor you are looking at is able to be dis-assembled, you may want a separate one for the .22lr. .22 is pretty dirty and over time can reduce the suppression of noise due to residue build up.

I'm sure there are others on here that are more versed in the most recent offerings.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The plan is to have a can for .22 only and another that is versatile in calibers. There's a place not far from me with a kiosk from SurFire (I think) that does all the work for you in 5 minutes or so. Finger prints, background, all paper work, etc... Makes it a super easy one-stop-shop. All you do is pay up and wait for it to get out of jail.[/QUOTE]

4. Jedb

Law went into effect July 13, 2016
    Generally
    There were no changes to an existing trust with fixed inventory.
    If you want to add a new item, everyone listed as a trustee in the trust, as of 7/13/2016, needs to submit their information (same as an individual purchase).
    The CLEO signoff has been changed to a notification and is no longer a request for approval.

This law closed the loophole that allowed people on trusts access to NFA items without background checks.

ATF 41F documentation here:
    https://www.atf.gov/file/107196/download

I believe that it may also be referenced as 41P in other places.
    https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/overview-of-atf-41p

This is general, so I've tried to stick to facts about the rule changes. Opinion on it would be dungeon material.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thank you.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’ve got a couple on a trust. I’m going to do individual next time. Individual seems to get approved faster. I only did a trust because The CLEO sign off was a pain in the ass

7. Jedb

Now, the CLEO gets notified and has no say in your ability to own an NFA item (unless you are a prohibited person that for some reason doesn't show up in the ATF check)

I just haven't had the money to buy any more NFA toys for a while. Although I may reconsider a Form-1 SBR on the Palmetto State Armory version of the MP5.
    Drop in an FosTech-Echo or Franklin trigger and call it a day.

8. Steak Travis

As soon as I turned 21 I ordered my first suppressor and the sheriff in MGM at the time thought it was awesome. His secretary wasn't as thrilled and told me not to shoot anyone. When I was doing my SBR paperwork, I heard the Nashville guy could be a pain sometimes so I did a trust on the Form 1's and e filed. Super easy and it was fast approval. I used the trust on two more suppressors one pre 41 and one post. I used the silencer shop kiosk on the last one and it was really easy.

Not really looking for anymore NFA things. Potentially another 30 cal suppressor but I don't need one

9. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Picked up the 19x and Sig P365 today. The Sig has a born date of 9/24 so it should be good to go.

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Did you have to re-zero any of your weapons when you put on the suppressor?

The guys at the local range let me test out one on my Vector. I had it zero'd at 45 feet at the time and when I fired the first round it was way low and left. I thought "holy shit what did I do wrong?" Lined up the second shot and almost put the second round through the first hole. Took the suppressor off, fired, dead nuts center. Never thought about getting one since.

12. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Having shot many suppressed weapons. In my opinion, they(suppressors) just aren't worth all the paper work and cost. Unless you run subsonic ammo they really aren't as quiet as you would think, in most calibers. Only gun that was a lot quieter was a .308 bolt gun on subsonic ammo. It was movie quiet.

600 dbl are and Steeltoe like this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I will say, after having spent quite a bit of my summer shooting long range and being around a lot of different rifles, suppressors make quite a bit of difference, especially next to a brake. I actually prefer guns with brakes because when watching for hits during a match, suppressed guns are too quite and you might not realise it was your squad that shot, as opposed to a squad 50' away.

14. Jedb

I've zeroed them all, and then had to make some small adjustments with it on. For me, my variation on the rifles (AR-15s) was about a 2 click adjustment at 100yds (2click = 1/2 MOA). For the 6mm creedmore, I just zeroed with the suppressor on, as I don't see an instance where I would be shooting without it on.
    For the bolt 308, I zeroed at 200yds without it on, then adjusted a bit on the horizontal. Pre and post suppressor, I have found that there wasn't much variation out to 200yds.

The longer distances I've shot (300 and 600) I had already zeroed the 308 & 6mm with the suppressor on, and didn't remove it, so I can't answer you about variation at those distances. To be honest, at those distances, variation is more on me & my eyes than on the equipment.

For the 9mm suppressor, it's on a pistol, and I've only shot it at close (up to 20yds) range. I'm more accurate with the suppressor on, than off, over the course of 2 magazines. The difference being a 2-3" diameter grouping over 2 magazines with the suppressor and a 3-4" group over the same number of shots without.

If/When I get the MP5 clone up and running, I'll test and let you know.

15. Jedb

I don't like being next to a brake. That shit's concussive.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Some are worse than others. The JP Loudener in particular.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

R/T Performance likes this.
  18. Jedb

My buddy has the .308 Ruger Precision and whatever brake is on that made it really uncomfortable to be next to him while shooting.
    Even doubled up (plugs & muffs) my ears were not happy due to the concussive effects, not the noise.

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

putting two Dead Air cans in jail next week (22 mask and 45 ghostM). Might look at a 30 cal can in the future (the new Nomad looks nice).

I am probably going to get a Tikka T3x A1 Tac 6.5 in the near future, seems to get good reviews and enough of a performance jump over the Ruger so I'l probably go that route. or maybe a John Hancock, but since the production has been delayed a while, not sure when they will actually hit the market. I saw that Ruger just introduced the RPR in magnum calibers. A 338LM for $1500?? wow.

20. Steak Travis

How are you liking your tikka after what 6-8 months? I think I'm going to actually quit talking about it and pick up a CTR. I shot the tac a1 and it was insanely good. I think I'm about to order the 20" ctr since I may bring it in the woods.

I'm looking at the Cronus or the T5X for scopes. The tikka I shot had a NF 5-25 which was great but sounds like the athlon or Steiner will do for what I'm thinking.