1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love the Olympics

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Amazing after the lead Phelps built up! Lol I have three screens going.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I smell a conspiracy. :D

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ariel Hsing is playing. Kid is like a flea!

4. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Let's go Ariel Hsing!

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

For this.....you get a big '+1' AND a :up:.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Sean, I have to respectfully disagree with you on the statement that anything that is judged is not a sport.

First I have to disclose that I was a diver from 1968 till 1977, so I have a little stake in this argument. Truth is I really didn't want to do it but my mom wanted me to be a diver so I didn't have a huge choice. Anyway, the training involved to partake in a judged sport such as diving, gymnastics, boxing etc is every bit as difficult as someone that plays football, hockey or track (three other sports I played).

True, when a judge is involved it adds an entirely different dimension to the activity. But for the most part the people that do the judging are very well trained and many of them are past participants of the sport they are judging. They don't pull their numbers out of a hat. There is a criteria they must follow that encompasses many different aspects of said activity. Do they get it wrong sometimes........yes, it happens.

But lets put this into perspective. Every sport is judged. From the line judge in football to the ump in baseball to the referee in basketball there are judges. Even racing has its judges. Ever heard of Charlie Whiting....he judges Formula 1.

Judging truly isn't that hard. I was watching the women's syncronized diving this afternoon and it wasn't real hard to tell who did well and who didn't. The judges got it spot on. The problem comes when a judge does screw up and then you hear all about it......but let's face it, it happens all the time in stick and ball sports and the general consensus is oh well, that's the way it goes.

Anyway, that's my argument and I'm sticking with it:up:

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

We jynxd Ariel

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I hope this is the future of sports coverage. Instant replay, and on full day events you can not only scroll throughout the day but you can pinpoint a particular match and "fine" scroll within that match WITH preview. Tough to explain until you play with it but damn. This is awesome.

9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Nice fail by NBC....we all know a lot of coverage is on tape delay and it's tough to be anywhere and not hear the results. But, they put this stuff on prime time and try to build up the suspense. They show US swimmer Missy Franklin that did one swimming preliminary event and then a final event 14 minutes later. And what do they show during the commercial break between her 2 events? A commercial for the Today show tomorrow morning when they talk about the reunion between her and her parents after winning her first gold medal. Then the coverage comes back on and they're continuing to talk it up....gee...wonder what's gonna happen? Oh yeah...she wins gold...just like they told us 3 minutes ago.
    Someone needs to give them 'spoiler alert' guidance.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I'm glad I missed that commercial. I would have been pissed.

I love that girl(in a non-creepy way :D). She has such an awesome attitude and seems to have great parents. The girl has turned down millions of dollars in endorsement deals so that she can continue to compete with her high school team. :up:

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

It seems her parents have done a fantastic job of keeping her grounded. I think she's in for the long haul. That said, for her sake, I hope she doesn't hold out too long. She should learn from Michelle Wie. Wie signed her pro endorsements early and collected her big fat paychecks to the tune of $10M +. since then, she hasn't really set the world on fire with her golf game, but, she's got an ass ton of dough and she's going to Stanford to get her degree.

12. rd400racer

I think it is great that she is holding out on endorsements so she can still be eligible to compete on her high schools swim team. My son said," how is it fair that an Olympian can swim for a high school swim team?" I just replied why the hell not. She is just a student that happens to swim real fast. Why should that be held against her?

I do think that the family will have a pretty tough decision if she continues to do well in these Olympics as far as the endorsement payout goes. A big chunk can go a long way and she is a perfect candidate with her personality for the big payout.

Oh, and F NBC for that god$%#m commercial! It's bad enough trying to keep my wifes trap shut with her nose in an iPad 24/7....f*(&ing NBC has to ruin it for me!

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Another one I like is that 15 year old Ruta Meilutyte. She's fast and seems to be having a blast.

14. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

agreed.

15. rd400racer

OUCH!!!

Pretty graphic weightlifting accident by a South Korean.

You all have to work to find it...if you want to

(lets just say you wonder how this doesn't happen more often)

16. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

oh f@#k.... That about made me ralph. :Puke:

17. racertex

racertex vintage dude

So they did a close up off Missy Franklin's feet on the block for the 200 relay last night...and the commentator said she had a size 13. That was a lady's 13 right? They were damn big feet.....and no, I don't have a foot fetish but I do corner low.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't even want to see that. I can almost feel the pain when I watch these things.

Meanwhile, as I watch the emotion of some of the winners (in any sports) I can't help but feel bad for those who don't get the Olympics. That's a huge void in y'all's childhoods. :D

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My FAVORITE part is when some poor underdeveloped nation gets recognition in an event. Even if it's just by getting an athlete to the games. For some places their local Olympian is all they have for noteriety.

And I hope we whoop China's ass.:mad:

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Same here. I think it's awesome to see that stuff.

And fuck China.

Their swimmers look like they are chasing the floating hyperdermic needles. :D