1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Can See!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeffro510, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Without glasses that is. Yeah, after years of research, I finally did it. I had the LASIK procedure done by Michelson Laser Vision at the Summit here in Birmingham and now I am glasses free. I couldn't wear contacts and to me glasses have always been a handicap, especially with motorcycle riding. Anyone who wears glasses knows the drill. Take your glasses off, put your helmet on, put your glasses back on. If it's cold your glasses fog up under your helmet. If it's hot, they slide down your face. It was the same for street riding, roadracing, and dirt riding. I had the CustomCornea procedure done Thursday and I was in the laser room for a total of 17 minutes. My one day post op exam was this past Friday morning (my B-DAY!!!!), and I am 20/20 in both eyes individually, and can read 20/15 with them together. To say that this is a life changing experience would be a huge understatement.
    This is the first birthday that I've had where I actually feel younger!!!! :beer:

Thanks to everyone on here that posted info to help me make my decision. Being an engineer by trade I researched the heck out of both the lasers and doctors available to me. To anyone here in the Birmingham area (or Alabama for that matter) I would highly recommend Dr. Michelson for your procedure. You can check them out at www.michelsonlaser.com and if you set up a consultation please let them know that Jeffro sent you. Dr. Michelson has agreed to help me out this year with my racing efforts, and obviously my vision. He is extremely excited about getting involved with the motorcycling community, and with roadracing. We'll see you at the races!!!!
    :up:

Jeffro

2. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Just how old are you?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Congrats!!!!!

I got mine done last year on my birthday - way cool present to yourself! :D

4. Jeffro510

Just turned 36!!!! :wow:

One year closer to CORC.

Definitely the best birthday present I've ever given myself!!!!:D Way cool....

Jeffro

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I get mine done on Thursday, a friend of mine is also getting them done that day but in a differant state.

6. Jeffro510

Here's wishing you the same results that I got. Don't judge your vision too quickly after the surgery. My vision was off immediately after the surgery, plus they have plastic lenses over your eyes to protect them so your vision is very distorted. The whole thing had me sooooooo worked up, but once they did my first eye I realized that I was worked up for nothing. Take the valium and go for the ride.

Here's to 20/20 without lenses!!!!:beer:

Jeffro

7. papo600rr

papo600rr Active Member

I would do the LASIK but I am afraid of making my eyesight worse and be deaf and blind :eek:

8. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Best money you'll ever spend. I had mine done a year ago and love it. If you think you see good now just wait. In 6 months it'll be way better. Glad to hear you got it, I know all too well what its like to wear glasses.:up:

9. Jeffro510

Then you too know what it feels like to be rid of them!!!! I have hated wearing glasses since the day that I decided to start wearing them full time. (actually my eyes decided it for me) It is sooooooooooooooooo amazing to see without them. Everyone who can see without glasses don't know how lucky they are...

Jeffro

10. mwike

mwike Well-Known Member

How bad were your eyes before?

11. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Glad you finally got it done, Jeffro.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

12. Paul1

Paul1 wanting to be fast!!

i would like to know:
    1) how long is it you cannot drive?
    2) any real pain involed, and for how long? (yes, i am a puss-puss when it comes to pain!!) :(
    3) question for all who want to reply, round about cost to have done.
    i have worn glasses or contacts for years and hate both of them. i want to do it but have to questions above answered if possable. i would love to be able to wake up every morning and see clearly. i have not been able to do it for 25 years (since 8 yrs old-god i'm getting OLD!!!!!):wow:

p.s. even though I don't know you, happy birthday jeffro!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - maybe 4-5 hours if you really have to but I waited more like 18 or so.

2 - no pain at all

3 - Mine was about $3k, you can get it down cheaper.

Do a search for lasik we've talked about it a few times with a lot of good info from people.

14. Jeffro510

I can't remember what my prescription was but it was something like 20/70 in one eye and a little worse in the other. Definitely bad enough that I needed to wear my glasses all of the time.

Jeffro

Before :cool:
    After :)

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me either on the glasses scrip but I was up to -3.00 in contacts in both eyes. Not horrid but not good.

16. Jeffro510

I had my surgery around 4 pm on Thursday, and was driving by lunch time on Friday. They want you to wait until you have your post op exam the next day before you drive...

No pain for me. Discomfort in my eyes for around 4 hours after the surgery. Best thing to do is sleep it off. During the precedure itself, all I felt was a little bit of pressure. They give you numbing eye drops so you don't feel anything. They give you a Loritab so any pain that you do have for that short time you can knock it out. I just used Advil though...

Depends on where you go and what you have done. This is not something that I would try to bargain shop for. Do your research and find the most experienced doctors in your area. Look at what type of laser they are using, how long they have been performing the Lasik procedure, and what type of results they are getting. They have lasers out now that can track you eye movements (LADARVISION 4000), and take care of higher order aberations (sp?) like starring of lights at night, or halos around lights, etc. The ones that do it all cost the most, but are well worth it IMO. With the wavefront technology they can accurately reshape your cornea for best results. Go and talk to the doctors in your area and ask them all of the questions in the world that you can think of. Don't do it based on price...

Thanks!!!! :up:

Jeffro

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No fair! I didn't get Valium OR a loritab!!! :mad: :mad:

18. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Jeffro hoards the Loritab in case of future racing injuries. :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Smart man. That's one nice thing about the track - if you ever really need some help with pain management there are plenty of people who can be of assistance :D

20. Jeffro510

You gave out my secret, "No Loritab for you!!!!"

They do come in handy if you get banged up at the track.

No Loritab or Valium? What a rip off!!!! That was half the fun, the good vision after the high was the rest of it!!!!:rock:

Jeffro