1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

So.. I was in Everglades City, FL all day today and damn, what a mess. Naples and Marco are going to be hurting for a long time. Lots of work for me down there, but I hate that part of my job. Seeing the devastation and how it impacts peoples lives is tough. Amazing the sense of community though. Everglades City will probably be out of power for at least a month. The power lines that feed that area start about 23 miles north on 41. I drove that whole length today and about every other power pole was split in half with lines on the ground everywhere. If anybody needs anything in that area please let me know. I plan to be there weekly and can bring gas, water, ice etc with me each trip.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Does any of you guys need anything?

Seriously.

3. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Headed to my Mom's in Naples on Sunday with a trailer. If anyone needs anything, give me a heads up!

4. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Some 60 degree weather sure would be nice .....

My internet and phone has been super slow all week. Still no power and stupid long gas lines. I've got awesome pics and vids to share if I could a decent signal .

Yes, Everglades city got it bad. A lot of those folks are fishermen and lower income people , the downtime hurts bad. Naples and Marco are good enough , mostly just trees, lanais , roof tiles etc ...

It's pretty weird to see "your city " deal with the drama - eye opening as opposed to watching on tv.
    Making lots of new friends and meeting all of our neighbors - it's like summer camp, for angry and sweaty drunk people .

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Anyone know how Sanibel Island / Ft Meyers area fared?

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Very gracious. My mom was scheduled to go back to Naples tomorrow after a few month northern swing. She lives just off of 75 at the Marco Island exit. She heard they just got power back yesterday and she delayed her return a week. From what she hears, everything ok at her condo. Appreciate the offer and will let you know if I need to take you up on it.

7. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Power back on already? That's awesome. I'll be right off 75 on Pine Ridge all week, probably getting jiggy with my chainsaw. Sounds like my moms area is likely a couple weeks out on power. Let me know.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

nah the thing about them is that industry can move crews around pretty rapidly and there is a kind of brotherhood which I learned of talking with some guys that were staged up the street. They work some long days but get paid too.
    Areas where a grid has to be rebuilt... it takes more time vs restoring transformers/downed poles/rehanging wire.

9. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Wife's grand parent's trailer in Ft Myers some how didn't blow away. I'm told minimal damage. Just still no power.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Still no power in Orlando. Sitting here watching the mold grow. Water removal company showed up but when I asked for an estimate before they started working they bailed. Scumbags

Yanked out the wet carpet but now I can't get the wood floors up. Don't want to destroy them in case it's dry underneath

11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The Sea Dunes, my home away from home in Daytona Beach survived. Too bad the Russians didn't get blown away.

[​IMG]

13. omatter34

Moisture meter is your friend. I carry one with me at all times to look for things like that. Sucks about the company that showed up. I wish I could get one of the guys I use here to head your way, but everyone seems to be staying busy in their home towns with the size of Irma.

BigBird likes this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

No worries. Very grateful for the help you've given. The wet carpet is out that was the biggest concern.

Next big question is what happens if they don't make shingles in my color anymore

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

home depot has some carpet fans pretty reasonable...
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1625-CFM-Air-Mover-AM2560/202942745

You might be able to get a dehumidifier at the rental part to aid in drying the place out

16. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Got power back today...they've closed I75 and some other highways around the Santa Fe River area due to record cresting. So expect more delays atleast for another day and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. omatter34

That's a big part of what I do. Ensuring that you are properly indemnified.

18. omatter34

Forgot to mention...if heading south, take plenty of gas. Anywhere south of Ellenton, FL it was very hard to come by.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

They buy your roof. I bought the roof on every CAT claim that had any damage. Every. Single. One.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

1. Read your policy.
    2. Read your policy.
    3. Read your policy.

Insurers are already hiring like mad and if FL again issues Emergency License your adjuster could have been a fisherman last week.

BigBird and omatter34 like this.