1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many pieces of pizza can you eat?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thick crust is sicilian, Chicago should be thin crust set up like a pie with pizza ingredients and maybe even another crust layer as the filling. When I worked at Unos the crust we made was no thicker on the pans than the hand tossed.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You do put oil in a deep dish pan and it's not cast iron its just a relatively thin steel. I'm sure there are home experts who do it differently and hipster places as well but that's how it was done at Unos when I made pies for a living. Yeah they may be a choin now but they still make good pies (even if I prefer Giordanos or even Malnatis).

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Thickness depends on where you're eating.
    Only thing I've had from Uno's is regular crust.
    Can't remember every style, but I believe Gino's East Deep Dish is a thick crust
    And you are correct on the pans. But that's for restaurants because they bring it out to the customer in those pans.
    Forum recommends cat iron. And no oil.
    I'm trying to upload pictures but they are too large and I don't have time to resize all of them.

I just made a thick crust for my employees.
    Will post them later

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well, I'm pretty sure I had Uno's back in the 85-89 timeframe and I thought for sure it was thick crust stuff I had. I worked a tradeshow up at McCormick Center every year during that time. I may have to try one again if it is thin like you say.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Here ya go...

Pizza-Soup.jpg

6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Barstool did a review of 2 Bros and got a meh review. Just google Barstool 2 Bros pizza review for the video.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

There's thin, regular and deep dish. Then you have several dough recipes. Very popular is called "cracker style" which I have yet to try making.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Forum food snobs are not always the best source, the restaurants created the style, the restaurant get to dictate what is proper - either way they cook it in oil in a thin pan and it works great, it's also why there is oil in the pan in the original question. I could swear I've had Ginos but maybe not if it is a thick crust, never had one thick in Chicago. It would have stood out for sure as I cuss about people calling a round sicilian a deep dish all the time :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thick is relative, it's not cracker thin and is even a touch thicker than a normal NY style hand tossed but it's not like 1/2 inch thick bread, that's just annoying to me.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what the boss wants when she says thin. Going to work on my normal hand tossed style once I get some yeast, then if I get that close to right I'll try for a super thin for her. Already do an okay deep dish even if I have the same patience issue stretching the dough as I had making them at work :crackup:

G Dawg likes this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

My biggest bitch is when people say to put corn meal in the dough.
    I just looked and Food Network has that in their Gino's recipe.

Metalhead likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah in it seems odd, as a dusting to help it slide no problem. Granted there as many recipes out there as pizza joints I'm sure and basically once they're all cooked with toppings I'm pretty much a fan of every single one :crackup:

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

With ya. Nasty as eff if the meal is cooked in. Thats for the bottom only to give it slide motion in and out of the oven. A true pizza snob will agree. I happen to be one.

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

A full pie if I'm in Sicily. Romans can't make a pie for shit. American stuff is fine so 3. My kids love the crap from the Pizza pizza place.

Hi fellas!

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

just ordered me a pack of semolina flour Type 00.

baking pizza this weekend.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Hawaii of course.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You deliver Domino's for a couple months and now you are a true pizza snob? :D

cav115 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Poor mans budget snob.:D

cav115 likes this.
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

And you worked at dominoes and pizza slut? :)

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Unfriended.