1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you watch the O'Reilly factor?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by reknelb, Mar 19, 2003.

1. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

RSDad, I respect your opinions and wasn't bashing anybody. All I would ask of any politician is conviction of his ideas. So many of the guys out there bashing the war have flip flopped so many times it's impossible to know what they believe. Notice no party implication in my statement.

I can not understand for example how womens rights activists could have so blindly supported Clinton and how all there guys who supported the first Gulf war and the UN now don't want to support the ultimate outcome of those actions?

I do believe we are doing the right thing and the world will be a better place and we will be safer.

I also believe the media has for many years been a tool of liberial politics. The new wave of right leaning media is a fair balance. Listen to the right wingers and notice how it feels when they say the simplest thing. It will bother you. That's how I and many others feel when we listen to the networks.

2. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying and I'm with you on the bouncing back and forth. I also agree about Clinton and women's rights. The argument was that you had to support the guy's politics but not his individual behavior and that the option of 'going right' was worse. That's crap. At some point you need to stand up for what you believe and take your lumps - including losing elections. This was one of those opportunities and many people didn't step up. Genuine liberals (I still prefer the term progressives if that is OK) did step up but the majority of Clinton's supporters were not as liberal as the right would have you believe and would more accurately be defined as moderates. The policies they endorse are much more indicative of a moderate than progressive. There just aren't that many leftists around any more. Moderate Democrats - yes. Leftists/Progressives/Liberals - no.

On to your other point. Help me out here. I hear a lot about the 'liberal media' and the control that the liberals have over mainstream media. Can you give me some concrete examples of this control that you have observed?

3. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

I could if I listened and took note, that's why I asked how you felt when the right wing guys talked. Same type of back handed remarks. Heard one last night by somebody talking about the rockets fired ,xxx number of tomahawks (at 1,000,000 each). That type of comment. What other pres. has been asked to declare the cost of a war before it could go on?

4. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Maybe you don't hear them from the network media like I don't hear them from the right wing ones.

5. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Maybe not. That's why I'm asking for your help. I'm not doubting you, I'm just asking the question. I think that we hear about 'the liberal media' a lot. I've asked for some examples from a few people a few times but haven't had anybody help me out. I have a skeptical streak. I don't like to accept what I'm told to believe without doing my own investigation.

BTW, Presidents are always asked what military action is projected to cost. Congress is supposed to hold the purse, the President puts his idea in front of Congress including projected costs and Congress either says yes or no - in theory.

Oh yeah...I think those Tomahawks are $1.4 million a pop, not $1 million. But what is $16 million between friends (40 missiles at $400,000 each). ;)

6. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I'm curious. If you don't listen, how do you know what they are saying or how it is slanted?

7. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to suggest I didn't listen at all but it's nice to find like minded media. Got to the point that every time I listened to the networks, Opra, etc. I wanted to bash the TV then my head. Stand for something is all I wanted and be honest about it. You are doing that and I respect you for it. We don't agree but that's cool!

8. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not avoiding the question just can't point to specifics. How do you feel when the Rush's of the world talk?

9. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

...why is Daschle an asshole??... Should we be happy that Bush NEVER tried to use diplomacy...why isn't there any dissention on any news coverage... I call it conservative media bias...

funny thing I heard the other Bush's buddies are lining up to get contract s to rebuild Iraq... once again another politician lining his pockets...

...McNeil report on PBS is the only unbiased news...

...Fox News is just for conservatives to circle jerk to...

10. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Geez, brad, you are making sense! I am impressed - an not being sarcastic!

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i was drunk. :D

12. Joss

Joss F3 Dabbler

Team Atomic: "...funny thing I heard the other Bush's buddies are lining up to get contract s to rebuild Iraq... once again another politician lining his pockets... "

I wrote this for another thread, but maybe it fits here a little better.

The historic reality will be defined with how the Iraqi people react and what we find hidden in Iraq. President Bush will either be defined as a hero or a fool.

Now, sports fans, it's "nut cuttin' " time. You need to ask yourself honestly how you are HOPING this comes out. It is what is in your heart that counts. In my mind, this is where we are either "WE" ... or we're not. This is what is meant by getting behind the President when the rounds start flying.

Are you, instead, hoping this turns out to be a big fiasco; a huge humiliation for Bush and his advisors and his party... and our country?

If you are hoping for that humiliation, what I want to know is how you could feel that way and still consider yourselves Americans. I sense that there may be some here who would actually sacrifice the country for a political victory. If you are out there "hoping" this doesn't work... damn you for traitors.

(no smilie infered or intended)

13. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

No need to apologize but now I'm even more confused. When you make a statement as powerful as "the media has for many years been a tool of liberial politics", I would imagine that you could some how support it with data, facts, evidence, or research.

Regarding how I feel when I hear someone like Rush? It makes me wonder why a guy with views so far to the right is on the air but that people equally far left are totally excluded from mainstream media debate about critical issues such as war, tax reform, budget debate, etc. Sure there are a few token moderate Democrats dragged out to 'debate' the issues but they are hardly the same distance left of the norm as Rush, George Will, Matt Drudge, Bill O'Reilly, Pat Robertson, etc. are right of the norm. I wonder why the voices of Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, Michael Parenti, Barbara Ehrenreich, etc. are never presented? I hear Rush and I wonder if the mantra of "liberal media" is based in fact? Does that make sense?

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

that would be: because the liberal left would only work until the money ran out. {they have no concept of where it comes from} only that it is endless.

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Joss --

Good point. I think that left wing wackos will hope for a devesatating stalemate that embaresses Bush. (God my spelling is bad!) The sensible left will hope that the War is over fast, with few casualties, that democracy breaks out real fast and that Saddam is tried in World Court for war crimes. The sensible right wants the same but they prefer Saddam dead for two reasons: 1) they hate him for what he truly is and 2) if he had a trial he's show photos of being hugged by Rumsfeld and invoices from CIA front companies for bio and chem weapons all under the Reagan and Bush I administrations. Quite embarassing actually.

The left doesn't worry about Clinton's apathy and failure to address the Saddam debacle b/c everyone with a brain hates Clinton anyway!! Even Leftties like me!! He's such a total embaressment that i'd blame the bad econmy on him now if I thought it made sense!!!

The right wing wackos just want to see alot of death and gore as long as not us and just a towel head/camel jockey blood bath.

Fast war!! GET SADDAM!!! And pass the popcorn!!!! :D

16. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Great post. As I have stated earlier Bush stands for something. I happen to agree with him and hope all goes well for him and more importantly the US of A!

17. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I think it going to be a complete cluster...the war will be easy; rebuilding the country will be VERY difficult.

Is it OK for BUSH's buddies to get rich?? Who is going to ultimately get all the oil contracts...???

Is it OK for Paul Wolfowitz and Don Rumsfeld to democratize the whole world.... it’s in the national security doctrine...

These guys think they can fix all the world ills with military force...

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Not just the US oil companies. The Rooskies and the Frogs have contracts that will be honored. It will be tough to take... selling oil to the frogs from the 51st state of East Texas.;) :D

19. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

And honest, too! :D