1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far can a chipmunk travel?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s uncalled for. If we are just randomly killing things, peoples annoying kids and yapping dogs are gonna be on that list too.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No politics.......

[​IMG]

grasshopper, Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The tubby old biker dude who lives across the street from our middle school soccer field was having problems with squirrels getting into his attic. He started trapping them and releasing them in the middle of our practice field to run for the woods. At the same time, he releases his giant labrabull. If you play fetch with this dog, he happily returns the splintered remains of whatever you tossed for him. Occasionally, a squirrel does make it to the woods and freedom.

lazlo and Banditracer like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hey Boomer man, if you see politics in my post, you're trying too hard. Man!

Stop oppressing me, man!

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's the people that need to be on the list...it ain't the kid's nor the dog's fault.

Get a cat or two. Males seem to be more of the hunter type and will earn their keep. Just get 'em young (<6 months) and have 'em fixed - no spraying issues.
    If ya get two, make sure one is a female. Two males could be too much hunting and they might try to outdo each other for your affections. You know, beheaded presents, etc. :D

6. From around my house to my deck, the indoor / outdoor cat we have brings me treats about once a week. Usually I have to put them down with a pellet gun though as she likes to play with them which is not cool to me.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Let me call a buddy who is an expert on chipmunks....

[​IMG]

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Make sure that trap is small, skunks are not interesting. You might still be unhappy if you catch a baby skunk just not as unhappy.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Too long for the extra point...musta been a long field goal.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That wasn't a chipmunk

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Don't be a speciesist!

pickled egg likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

And he never caught it anyway. He would be the worst person to call...... unless you just want to party.

noles19 likes this.
  13. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Jeez, I hate to be disagreeable, but...
    Trust me, it is NOT the male cats that are the hunters. Fixed males become sort of, uh, ornamental.
    The females are the killers. Just like lions.
    You want a ratter? Chipmunk executioner? Get a mixed-breed female. They're brutal!

Metalhead and Sabre699 like this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Depending on how young they are, their spray glands may not be developed yet. These two little guys assumed the position but didn’t have anything. LOL. 031DA4B2-3C84-4730-AA7A-B7E6A9CD35BD.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think it varies. My neutered male cat is a prolific hunter. Kills anything and everything every night it seems.

16. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Pretty far if you put him in the tube, after the potato.
    No chipmunks were injured in this thought experiment.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Quite a while ago I went with a friend to teach him how to shoot a bow. He spots a chipmunk on a stump about 30 yards out and decides that would be a good target. I'm laughing thinking that's going to be a lost arrow. The chippie jumps the string but unfortunately for him he goes the wrong way. Pinned that chipmunk to the stump right through the eye! Best shot I've ever seen! (Even if it was just luck).

StaccatoFan likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Look out if chipmunks get as smart as squirrels
    [​IMG]

cpettit likes this.
  19. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

This summer I watched a hawk on my back fence wait for a chipmunk to come out from cover. It swooped down and pounced before the fella could get the ten or so feet to more cover.

He let out a pitiful eep!

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I guess @fastfreddie and I are the exception, have had three strays here, two boys, both ruthless killers, the girl is a princess.