1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far can a chipmunk travel?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I just caught one and I want to drop him off somewhere else so it stops destroying my landscaping. How far you gotta take one of these so it can’t find its way back? I’m not driving it all the way to the hospital to give to @SpeedyE.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Depends on what load you shoot it with.

.22, not very far.

.50, parts of it will reach low earth orbit.

rk97, turbulence, stk0308 and 5 others like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whoa man, the 'munk has rights, man. Who are you, man, to tell the 'munk where it (can't judge it's preferred pronoun without asking it) can live.

You're in the process of chipmunk gentrification and holocaust. PETA, PC Principle and antifa will be along in no time to check your privilege, man.

Animal rights and legalize the pot, man!

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m sure a mile or two would take care of it. Coons, they say need relocated at least ten miles.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Kentucky, they don't swim.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've been told that squirrels need to be moved about 10 miles, or they will make their way back.

8. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Fuck all this negativity..... get two more and teach them to sing and then make millions.

jd41, R Acree, 969 and 10 others like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How long is the digestive tract of a dog?

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

If you think you only have one.... be prepared for more relocation attempts.

R Acree, Razr and badmoon692008 like this.
  11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I punted one 73 yards once. Have no idea if it came back.

rk97 likes this.
  12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Not sure on the squirrel. I “relocated” a nuisance stray cat to a large natural area where it could play with friendly coyotes, badgers, foxes :D 26 miles away a few years ago. The damned thing showed back up about 2 months later.

13. cpettit

The wife says we can't kill them and i think it would be a felony to discharge a firearm here anyway. Got one and took him to the nature preserve at the end of the road. Maybe i'll start tagging them with marking paint so i know if they come back. Got a cage trap so maybe i'll catch something interesting while i'm at it.

I'm not training them unless someone buys me a baby pool, remote control boat and some little water skis.

Ducti89 likes this.
  14. cpettit

Imma get the next one high before i set him loose. Maybe i'll load up the trap with all the best snacks and see if it gets the munchies.

15. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

About 6 feet when Marley(my lab mix) catches one a flips it through the air while shaking it. :crackup:

16. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Laiden or unlaiden? Is it an African chipmunk?

wiggeywackyo, stk0308, cav115 and 8 others like this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

wife won't let me kill 'em, so i live trap them and move them 2 miles form the house.

"so far", none of them has come back. ;)

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It obviously depends somewhat on the height of the trebuchet, but given a large enough counterweight, I would say that low earth orbit should be attainable.

rk97, stk0308, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  19. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

When I was a kid, the old guy next door used to trap them and then drown them in a bucket of water. I thought that was pretty harsh.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My wife has been giving them all free swimming lessons... so far none have learned to swim.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.