1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can she be fired for this?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I know. Which is a large part of why I do :crackup:

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I get that. But on her own time and her own phone, it is still bullshit. That would be like me getting fired for drinking beer when I'm off work. Its just bullshit.

3. ton

ton Arf!

if you were being a drunk asshole at a bar on your own time... wearing a company logo garment... they'd be well within their rights to terminate you for it. no different than a pro athlete engaging in "conduct unbecoming"

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

This is why I wear a WERA shirt and tell people my name is Mongo when I go out drinking.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Is it bullshit that companies drug test?
    Is it bullshit that your criminal record is looked at?
    Is it bullshit that every aspect of your online presence is scrutinized prior to being hired?

You represent the company on and off the clock weather you like it or not, weather you feel it is bullshit or not. Companies do not want bad publicity in times where one viral post can sink you.

I cannot act like a tool ever, or the FD will fire me - I ALWAYS represent them. I have to behave as if I am always wearing my duty shirt. We have a very specific moral and online social code we are to follow. If I even so much as turned my phone on to film some horrific event off duty, I could be fired. If I get drunk and take my shirt off at a concert and someone films it, fired. If I post a politically inflammatory statement and it gets traction, fired. Companies are usually very up front about their social media policies. You cannot be a public ass and escape the ramifications these days. Information travels too quickly.

I know it seems like BS, but they need to protect themselves too - you are not owed employment.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

(1) whether

(2) the FD hasn't fired you yet?

:D

7. CausticYarn

They don't know this place exists :p
    All of my social media escapades have handles instead of my actual name these days. :D

8. assjuice cyrus

I get that, but she wasn't wearing any company info. Didn't even say where she worked at did it?

9. assjuice cyrus

Drug test I get. It's an insurance thing. Back ground check, can you not be legally hired because of your background? Sure I get certain jobs you can't have a felony,but you know that up front.

Acting a fool I know plenty of firemen that act a fool out on there own time. Even been arrested for petty shit and still have there job .

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me too!

Good thing is I'm a happy/fun drunk. It's when I'm at work and sober things go bad :crackup:

Fonda Dix likes this.
  11. CausticYarn

Our SOPs and contracts don't allow it, theirs may not have the policies we do.

As far as a background check... You can legally be passed over for having a record in many states. Generally if someone has a record longer than my arm, I will give them opportunity via a first round interview to make sure they don't have anything to bring to the table and give them the opportunity to explain, as is required by Minnesota law. At least I can gauge the candidate without prejudice. Last time I had an awesome candidate lined up for a position and discovered he had multiple drug offenses, multiple instances of driving without a license, and several recent felonies. That not only speaks to the character of the person I am trying to bring in - and can eliminate them from the pool, but how are you going to get to work without a license? I do have a duty to protect my current employees and would be putting them at risk by hiring someone of questionable character. If I am looking at someone with felonies from years ago that has nothing since, I will keep them in the pool for the next round of interviews and let them know that we did conduct a background check so they have an opportunity to explain. No matter what though - I hire the most qualified candidates that fit with our culture, most of the time those with current records are not the most qualified or are not compatible.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

She promoted the picture and thus the incident. Bad move.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Always have to be careful, even with state laws allowing them to be used. There’s still the possibility that eliminating candidates based on ‘x’ background could result in a disparate impact on a particular, protected group. Develop a trend and you could still end up on the wrong end of an EEOC issue.

14. assjuice cyrus

Yea, I get everything your saying and it's correct. But can you legally look at someone and say, I'm not going to hire you cause you have a record? Not, well you don't have a licence and this job requires one.

15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

While I don't disagree, it doesn't mean in the big picture of things that it is bullshit.

It is to the point where you are not allowed to have a public opinion on anything, and that is my problem with all of this. If she had said "That stupid nigger acted stupid and got what he deserved", fire the bitch. I'll bet a dollar to a dime that if the dude was white, and she said he acted stupid, not a peep from jases of the world. Since some delicate snowflake in the world took her comment as racist, she loses her job. That IMO isn't right.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Many states would allow it if the crime is related to the work. The trend is quickly going in the direction of backgrounds not being allowed in consideration at all. However, there are seldom times that the “real” reason for a “thanks, but no thanks” result is revealed. Plausible deniability and all.

17. CausticYarn

Yes, you can.
    In this state you just have to give consideration to the candidate and cannot ask about their record until you have extended an offer for an interview or agreed to contractually hire them if they pass a background check. If they have a record, you don't even have to go through with the interview - you just have to set a date before running the check. You do not have to bring someone with a record on to the property at all.

18. CausticYarn

Nope, there is always someone more qualified.

I am not HR - so even if I did want to hire someone with a long and sordid history, they would still have to pass through the rest of the hiring process.
    I like giving people chances - but when your felonies are recent, that puts others at risk.

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ahah - you want to voice opinions, just not be accountable for them.

Now I get it. :crackup:

20. CausticYarn

Nope. I just want to be my normal self.
    I don't really say many inflammatory things that gain traction.
    Most of them are just plain idiotic and get ignored.