1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Civic or Mazda 3

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jul 5, 2021.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Do explain, please.

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Similar commute in the past, mostly highway, had (actually still have) a 2011 Acura TL the thing just turned 335,000 miles and finally started having issue. Still running on stock shocks, and clutch!
    Based on personal experience I say go Honda.

I also has a MK7 Golf, put 110k miles in 3 years and had zero issues as well, got close to 40mph on the highway.

BigBird likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'll have to look it up. IIRC, it's a piggyback device that tells the ECU not to shut down any cylinders.
    Ridgeline owners were having engine mount issues cuz of the way the cylinders kicked on and off. The way I interpreted the results over time, "kicking" is the right word.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

What motor in your MK7?

5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

The 1.8T
    I think its called EA888 Gen 3

And of course I meant to say 40mpg not mph

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Does that use 87 or 91? I had a MKV GTI for a bit but I hated that it took 91. I really want to go to a sportwagen but they stopped making them in Diesel after 2015 so I’d have to go gas if I ever get one.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Late to the game, but wanted to mention Toyotas now have CVT transmissions. And the 2012 Camry I drive also has a history of transmission issues.

On the plus side, Toyotas seem to hold their value well.

The 2020 Avalon XSE Hybrid I bought my mom is OK on fuel. But the one I bought had sat on the lot for 18+ months, so I "Dave K'd" the dealer for a good price. I don't know if I would have purchased a Hybrid otherwise.

Your average speed will make a huge difference on mileage. The Avalon will get about 37MPG doing 70-75 on the Interstate. I once did a MPG run home from Atlanta, and had the cruise locked at 60. That resulted in a 51MPG average.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Just saw a TRD Avalon yesterday, looked darn good.

BigBird likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I've never felt when the cylinders were turned off on my 2020 Ridgeline, it's very subtle.

10. fastfreddie

Those incidents may have been with earlier models. I have neither, so I wasn't too inclined to log it in my Memorex...just something I would revisit if I ever did get a Ridgeline.
    As it stands, the only aftermarket items I know I would be getting are wheels, tires and a ReadyRamp. There are some lift options available that appeal to me, too, but I'd have to figure that out before I got wheels and tires. Maybe Borla will have come out with a system for today's generation; that certainly has its appeal.

11. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I was mistaken on the cylinder deactivation on the Mazda 3. It's not on all of them, only on the higher trim levels. Not sure why someone would pay more for that.

ducnut likes this.
  12. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I ended up buying the Mazda 3. As some have said, the interior was much nicer than the others. That along with a non cvt was a plus. Also the 30 more horsepower made it less sucky to drive.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice! :up:

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats! and it's a sweet driving vehicle. Mazda is basically the Porsche of Japanese cars. They have this handling feel that is unmatched.

15. fastfreddie

DaveK is shittin' Skittles on your behalf. :D