1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Civic or Mazda 3

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jul 5, 2021.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I will soon be going back into the office for work which will require a 700 mile a week all highway commute.
    My main focus is reliability as I plan on keeping it for many years. This vehicle won't see any other use.
    I'm looking at the base models for both of these. 2022 Honda Civic or 2021 Mazda 3?

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

More bang for your buck and higher MPG with a Kia Forte...

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Do you have a local source for CNG? I think Rob was wanting to sell his CNG Civic a while back.

4. svracer22

I'm concerned about Kia reliability and not much cheaper.

ducnut likes this.
  5. svracer22

No local source for CNG.

6. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Personally I would recommend a low mileage used Toyota Corolla. I am not a Mazda fan as their recent stuff seems to be lackluster. Honda is the same as always, boring but reliable. Whatever you get make sure you DO NOT GET A CVT TRANSMISSION!

ducnut likes this.
  7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Over the past few years, the Kia/Hyundai/Genesis family of auto's are always in the top for reliability and dependability - this latest report has them basically tied with Mazda and ahead of Honda.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study

15+ years ago - I'd have agreed with you, not any longer.

Plus they offer a 5 year full warranty vs a 3 year one for the other 2 brands you are considering.

Value - Kia Forte or Hyundai Elantra far exceed the competition for bang for buck with features if that's a consideration.

thrak410 likes this.
  8. svracer22

I drove a new Corolla and it felt cheaper than the others. Honda has the cvt, Mazda doesn't.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

FWIW, I bought a 2010 Forte for my daughter when she was in high school. Once she graduated college, she bought herself a new car. We had zero problems with it.

Sold the Forte to my best friend for his daughter and it ended up having a ticking noise within a year or so. Kia still covered the cost of a replacement engine or rebuild, surprisingly I think it was piston slap, but I don't remember my friend telling me what the issue was? We just provided proof of oil change services and it was covered.

He still owns it and it is going strong.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Any winter/foul weather considerations?

To make the choice easier, the Honda is a girlie girl's car, the Mazda is a man's version of a girl's car. :D
    To break it down a bit tho'...
    Honda...
    - pros: slightly better fuel mileage, more comfortable passenger seats, slightly more cargo space - trunk or hatchback, possibly better looking front end.
    - cons: no AWD option, bored to tears driving tho' it does handle well, craplastic interior.
    Mazda...
    - pros: drive it like you stole it handling, still get near the same mileage as the Honda - but with a smile, who gives a shit about passenger/cargo space - this is a solo commuter, luxurious interior compared to the Honda, and the biggest pro - AWD option (pretty much the only brand to offer it in this category). Almost forgot - better safety ratings.
    - cons: the front end is kinda meh, but the hatchback looks bitchin', might not be as comfortable as you drone down the highway to work on Monday morning but you'll look forward to whippin' it to the local eatery come lunch time.

Don't know what Kia offers in this segment but they've come a long way and are here to stay. Toyota prolly has something, too.

BigBird likes this.
  11. svracer22

I wonder how that warranty claim would go changing your own oil?

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The 2022 Civic is pretty much all new. It looks awesome and has very nice features. Honda reliabilty takes it over Mazda in my book.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get the fucking Honda...no wait a minute this is the beebs...get a Brickland.

14. svracer22

I haven't driven the civic, 3, or forte. That should happen this week. Maybe the choice will be more clear afterwards.
    The Mazda 3 is harder to find than the others, as least near me.
    It needs to be comfortable, for me. Don't care about trunk room or backseat room, it's a compact car afterall.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Honda?
    GoldWing...and an Aerostitch. :D

rice r0cket likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Don't know, but I would suspect if you kept your records of oil purchases and miles documented they would cover it, especially for the original owner.

Since I sold the car to my buddie, the warranty had expired.....it looks like the warranty converts from 10/100 to a 5/60K powertrain warranty when sold. It was definitely over 5 years old, don't remember the mileage, but KIA covered it anyway and were not difficult to deal with. Left me impressed and I even told my daughter to look at their Telluride/Palisade SUV's in the future when she wants a bigger SUV.

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The Honda is a way better choice. Especially if your gonna keep it. 700 miles a week and the Mazda will be out of warranty in two years...
    I wouldn’t own one out of warranty.

cav115 likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

700 miles a week? I’d get the one that’s comfortable and does not crush my soul with boredom. And that doesn’t have a CVT. :D

19. svracer22

This was my excat initial thoughts but I'm not sure CVT and reliability go together. Even if it's a Honda.

turner38 likes this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, avoid the CVT stuff like the plague... So neither is a great choice.
    I'd be looking at a four cylinder Camry.