1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda boots Lorenzo

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 21, 2019.

?

Is he toast

1. Yes he's out

34.0%
  2. Nope he will win more than 1 race this season

29.1%
  3. Nope.

36.9%
  1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I mean, the dude has been busted to shit all season, and I'm sure that hasn't helped him adapt to the Honder, but damn, I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Yes, I'm one of the 30.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This Lorenzo ordeal really proves how mental/psychological that last one second per lap is in MotoGP. it’s pretty easy to see how someone can have a lack of self-confidence and suddenly find themselves going from being on the box to being mid pack or worse.

3. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I imagine he's thinking he doesn't want to be paralyzed from trying to override a bike he has no front feel with. Think about how you guys feel when you're having front end confidence issues. Then multiply that by 10.

Ducti89 and YamahaRick like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

True. But it's not my job, and I wasn't basically born racing at tracks either. So not entirely the same.

5. How’s that working out for his teammate?

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Some people are willing to destroy themselves to win and others are tired of getting busted up?

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think this is it, and explains Rossi’s slowing pace over the last couple years. The average rider crashes what, probably 10 - 15 times per year? When guys start approaching their mid-30s, they just don’t want to be dealing with the risk any longer. They already have their millions in the bank, and are thinking of how the rest of their lives will play out.

Ducti89 likes this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Is he riding around with healing vertebrae?

Ducti89 likes this.
  9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Valentino has never been a crasher. Probably explaining his career longevity. I think you’re right that he’s no longer willing to risk. Rossi will ride to the max of the bike’s capability for that moment but I don’t think is willing to push beyond and risk a crash like a young dude. Though he does still divebomb people for the win so I assume he’ll stick it out for a chance at the top step, but he’s not going to override something he feels is a piece of shit to go from 6th to 4th and risk a crash.

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Puig would say that doesn’t matter. Puig is such a cunt that he thinks a dude that already broke his spine overriding his pig handling motorcycle should ‘try harder’.

Honestly I think Lorenzo shouldn’t even be on a motorcycle and would’ve been better served just taking the season to recover physically and mentally from a horrible almost life changing injury. I don’t see how riding around at the back 50s off the race winner is helping him adapt to the bike or doing his reputation any favors.

Only legit reason I can see to come back early is that he wanted to prevent Honda from replacing him, but running around the back with Karel isn’t exactly going to help his case.

I honestly think Jorge has some level of PTSD from that crash. Combine that with the fact that crashing on it again will fuck it up more and I see why he’s not going to push. Hence why he needed way more recovery time.

Bruce, sheepofblue, Ducti89 and 2 others like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why are you all acting as if Lorenzo needing everything to feel just right to be able to go fast is new?

12. Ducti89

Agreed. Spine injuries suck. I was lucky to A. survive it with B. no real serious damage. The older I get, though, the more complications I begin to experience.

13. Ducti89

Agreed. The only era when he dumped it with consistency was with Ducati.

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Colin did the same thing, kept it upright for his last few years before his forced retirement.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Marc started the season with a healing shoulder that was injured, at about 80% capacity (per his estimate). And yet he was winning. I'm not equating the two injuries, but Marc was not at 100% when he started riding a bike that no one else has been able to use to its capacity. Marc was physically weaker at the start of the season riding a bike that demands more physical inputs, and here we are.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

1. It's no secret that Marquez is a more adaptable rider. Unlike pretty much everyone else on the grid, the fact that he can win on a bike says absolutely nothing about how good the bike is.
    2. If I remember correctly, Marquez had a full winter testing schedule. Not to mention that he wasn't making the jump from a different brand.
    3. The mental aspect of both injuries is totally different, in my opinion. Marquez wasn't worried about being paralyzed from hurting his shoulder again.

Lorenzo's season started under difficult conditions that only got worse.

pscook, Bruce and Ducti89 like this.
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I find it entirely amazing how many people actually thought 'Zo still had a chance to win a race this season back in May.....

He has't even managed to crack the top 10 this year............only other two full-time riders in that club is Hafizh Syahrin and Karel Abraham.

brex and BigBird like this.
  18. No or a broken vagina :) I do get that he’s hurt, and pretty bad, I was just joking.

Bruce likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Is he for sure the more adaptable rider or is he able to adapt to make the Honda work?
    Lorenzo made Yamaha and Ducati work enough to win. Honda is still a don't know. Rossi has won on just about anything except the Ducati including two strokes. Marquez is fast as #$@# and really amazing for sure but to me the adaptable could be debated.:Poke:

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

he won or was competitive on a chassis in 125 where no one else was.

sheepofblue likes this.