1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home defense, Should I....

Discussion in 'General' started by atspeed, Dec 24, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

while i'm pretty quick with my 12g and it's my first choice for home defense(#4buck), i'm all around quicker with the handguns.
    i'd have to say the choice depends on the operator and the environment.

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I have a pistol-grip 870 Reminton Witness-Protection 870 with a 12" barrel for home defense.
    5-shots.
    The first 3 are less lethal rubber buckshot. It is lethal at close range (house) and has a helluva time penetrating walls. The last two rounds are full power 00-buck, if the first three don't do the job.
    Shotty is good home defense gun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Not looking for an argument, especially due to my lurker status, but why would you risk your life to less-lethal rounds in a deadly force encounter? I'm fairly well versed in the different variants of 12ga. LL ammo, and I've never been very impressed with it. Our targets are built out of plywood and I've never seen them penetrate, or for that matter, make a dent. Less-Lethal munitions should always be covered with a deadly force option.

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

You have valid points. I am just very concerned about anything getting through a dryway and hitting family member. Even if rubber buck doesn't make a kill shot, it will knock intruder down and incapacitate.

5. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Not to mention the 12yr old kid breaking in for summer giggles. I live close enough to the hood for this to be a genuine concern....first 2 loads in my Mosberg Persuader AKA driveway gun are non-lethal, the next two semi-deadly, and the last one, well if it gets to that point, buck the neighbors.

6. wsmc 589

I would probably lean to the super socks then. They carry much more mass than the rubber pellets. I would not trust the rubber pellets to knock down anything. The super socks hit like a baseball at full speed "IF" fired at close range.

7. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

In 20+ years of litigating I cannot recall a single case brought by a wounded (or dead) intruder.

I'm guessing that one of the reasons that seem to be so rare is because it is so rare that someone actually fires a gun to protect their home.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nice name :D

9. Shyster d'Oil

I have what is probably the best home defense known for use by the general public: three dogs that bark a lot and a cell phone to call 911.

The cops in my town get pretty bored (very little crime) and would probably get here in less than 5 minutes. So unless there is a mosad trained assassin out to get me, I'll let the cops have some fun.

Along the same theme though, I might be inclined to take a shot at an intruder who is hurting my dogs, so I guess I need to start price shopping for an 870. :D

10. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Some counties ban buckshot, know your local ordinances.

11. Shyster d'Oil

Yeah, thanks to Frenchy Farkwad. :D

12. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Always remember that when seconds count the police are always just minutes away.

For me, I have a Colt 6920 with a flashlight and RDS mounted on it with 28 rounds of 75 grain Hornady TAP in the magazine.

13. Shyster d'Oil

:beer:
    Sounds very tacticool.

Oh, I have a gun, but unlike some others here I'll call the pros before I run downstairs to confront an intruder.

14. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

15. wsmc 589

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Worked for me, it's a Mule with a 106 on it :D

17. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

Preferences? It depends which room I happen to be in. I have a loaded personal protection device in most rooms in the house!

18. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I watched the vid to determine the salient points. Paula has nice speed bumps that jiggle on full auto. The narrator has one of those phony deep voices and sounds like a dork.