1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home defense, Should I....

Discussion in 'General' started by atspeed, Dec 24, 2010.

1. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hell yea!!!

That gun scares me just looking at it!!!

Makes a man feel safe!!!:up:

BADASS!!!:bow:

3. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

4. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

You should see if you can put together a WERA group buy and arm the BBS.

Okay, maybe not the best idea. :D

5. henrytwin

henrytwin Well-Known Member

Cool looking weapon. Hope this doesn't hijack your thread, but I always have a problem when someone buys a gun under the guise of home protection. A shotgun is the best weapon for home protection. With any handgun or rifle you need to practice and be able to shot accurately in an emergency. With a shotgun you simply point towards the bad guy and shoot. You will hit him. I have been a weapons instructor with the US Navy for 8 years and the best weapon in a hallway (home) or passage way (ship) is a shotgun. It hits everything without the risk of killing your kids in the next room or the neighbors next door. Just my 2 cents.

We all have the right to own a weapon or two. Enjoy the gun, I looks like it would be fun to shot.

6. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

What shot and size?

7. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Number 4 buck is often used. Less penetration thru walls as 000 or 00 or 1..somewhat wider of a spread(altho, there still not much spread when up close like house fighting)..but just as lethal at in-house ranges.

8. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

12 guage or 20? Use a choke?

9. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Would disagree on the shotgun as the "end all" home defense gun. Especially for a woman of smaller size. Its unwieldy, even with reduced recoil rounds it can be a handful. It is prone to malfunction when an un-trained shooter doesn't rack it fully to the rear. My personal experience is that the shotgun is a weapon that requires a lot of practice to become proficient with.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Seems like an auto-loading shotgun would cure the faults that you highlighted. :beer:

11. JohnnyTheboy

JohnnyTheboy Well-Known Member

It's funny that yesterday I watched an episode of Ultimate Weapons that has been recorded on my DVR for a while about the top ten close quarter weapons and this won.

I hadn't heard of this gun until yesterday. It is a cool gun but the main advantage of it is the lack of rise on full auto.

12. JohnnyTheboy

JohnnyTheboy Well-Known Member

I think the phased plasma rifle in a 40watt range is the best for home defense.

13. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

14. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

12ga. no choke needed for in-home. At most, improved cyc.

15. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

16. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

The autoloaders I have experienced have all malfuctioned at some point. While that alone is not a reason to own a particular weapon, the lengthy process of clearing that malfuction is. When that guns stops, you had better have another weapon to transition too. The only thing that would cure the faults of the shotgun is training and lots of rounds fired in a practical setting. Something I thought the OP was dismissing due to the shotguns perceived ability to hit its target without aiming.

17. Michael #58

Michael #58 Umbrella Girl Watching...

We have run several tactical tests on our range (shoot house) and have found that in CQ Home Defense the weapon that actually resulted in the highest percentage of incapacitation of the assailant by the most diverse group (shooters, non-shooters, big, small, etc.) was the Taurus Judge with PDX ammo. It is simple, small, packs the punch of a shotgun and less prone to operator error or that tendency by untrained people to miss more than they hit when in home invasion scenarios.

The Kriss is an amazing weapon, we had a gentleman from there come out and show the teams and it was ridiculously easy to shoot well. We brought in the wives and girlfriends (most never shot a handgun) and they were all scarily accurate with it right out of the box. I would agree with the others though as it is not the best choice for home defense based on the need for precise shot placement.

You really can't beat a well trained dog... at least not without him biting even harder.:up:

18. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

anything bad about the mossberg mavrick series?

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

You are all a bunch of pussies. This is what you need. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

Early Christmas present for us, a Mossberg 500 12ga pump action. 7.5 shot, we live in a town home. Went and shot about 75 rounds through it without a hiccup.