1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home defense gun, what do I get?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

2. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Your argument is invalid with the mentioning of a ruger.. :crackup:

3. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

My first thought is a Glock 26. Very versatile. Cheap($500-ish). Smaller, but still lots of firepower. But still small enough to squeeze into a front pants pocket, easily in a jacket, tiny waist pack(meaning not looking like a typical "gun" pack), etc. Can be used with a G19 or G17 mag, or even a 33rd'r if need be for effectively a full size sidearm if needed, when the zombies come.

Lots of good +P and +P+ loads out there for 9mm, that are just as effective as the best loads of .40 and .45. I personally like Underwood +P+ stuff. A bit hotter then even Buffalo Bores offerings, and much better pricing.

As much as I love them, I'd forget about carrying an AR SBR of some type. Shotgun too. Just too impractical..slow to use from under any kind of concealment..takes time to master and stay on top of..easy to miss..recoil..etc.

Not my pic, but have one setup the same..(G26 with G19 mag and sleeve adapter over it=16rds as shown)
    [​IMG]

The end

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to end with speedy getting his dick shot off by a Asian lady boy hooker?

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I generally grab the Blackhawk in 45 colt or the 1911 in 45acp when I am going out for a walk. Around the house it depends on what is closest to hand. It might be a 38 special with a 2" bbl.

6. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Those in .45 ACP will cycle a well assembled 1911, and are total hell on ca...... feral animals infesting a barn.

home defense....... not a good choice, but I still bet they'll kill within 10 feet if they don't have much clothing in the way.

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Funny, Rugers have been rather well regarded in many write ups. I've got a 10/22, SR9C, P89, P91, SR45 and SR22. All exceptional guns. Also have a Glock, Shield 40, Beretta Neos, and several others. The Rugers stand up with them all day long.

8. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Of course, you could throw a rifled barrel on a shotty, run some 00 buck and hit everything inside a house except the bad guy you're aiming at. :rock:

9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You know that the cost of the firearm over the course of the years is the lowest cost of ownership? Get what works good and works good for YOU then worry about the price tag. To be proficient with that firearm in all situations requires thousands of rounds down range and training.

A training course itself will probably be more than the firearm. Price of a firearm should be on the selection criteria but way down the list.

Anyone who says anything about shotgun "spread" in indoor defence situations never actually shot a shotgun at anything that can show the impact as they would understand their folly very quickly.

Nor have they navigated their home while pretending an intruder is somewhere inside. 18.5" barrelled 870 is a long weapon unless you have a pistol grip. Very unwieldy in clearing corners. If you do have a pistol grip I hope you don't plan on hitting anything with it.

My best defense weapon? Pistol carbine like the sub2000. 10x easier to aim and hit at longer distances than a pistol yet still compact enuf to be good CQB firearm.

10. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

everyone with a 12ga needs the LE tactical buckshot. 4 in spread at 15m.

11. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I guess it had to be said. No, you're not alone. :wow:

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

errr...

having trouble thinking of any creatures on this planet that are two-legged and don't have either the ability to fly or the ability to speak

hunting the most dangerous game, are we?

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

If I think an intruder is in my house, I want a pistol. A long gun can be grabbed much easier by the bad guy then it's a wrestling match. I want factory loaded ammo also, no re-loads. I don't want to be in court with some perp's attorney arguing "regular ammo isn't good enough for this guy, he has to load his own"

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

:rolleyes:

15. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Damnit, you guys are making me want to get a gun. My grandfather was a huge collector of all types of guns but my parents were against it growing up, so I have no experience handling or firing a gun. I've always been curious so it might be time to take a course and jump into another hobby.

16. sdg

sdg *

Do it. Doo eeeet.

But seriously, shooting competitions is almost as much fun as racing.

:up:

17. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

NY is a commie state. check the laws where you live before you buy something.

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think this is a terrible misconception.

Every dog is different, but I don't think either of mine would wake up during a home invasion. Not before I do anyway. The only way Hank (profile pic) is stopping an intruder in the dark is if they trip over his sleeping body. Kramer (small rot mutt) will get up and greet an intruder at the top of the stairs (baby gate), but I have never seen him bark at anyone once they're past our front door. He also knows that friends come through our garage, and I highly doubt he would bark if someone broke in that way.

We've bred and trained dogs to be pets, not protectors. Kramer 'attacked' the gas meter reader once. He ran up to him, and circled him while barking a lot. Never jumped on him or bit him or anything. I prefer having a good pet to a good home defender.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Carcano Model 91/38 with a 4x scope.

be sure to order the magic bullets with it.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

In all reality, your house will NOT be broken into when you're there. Get a concealable pistol for personal defense and get some cheap window/door alarms and an ADT sign for the house. Take anything that is really valuable/irreplaceable and store it in a safe deposit box or at your parents. Don't leave expensive things out where they can be seen through the windows. Don't leave your blinds/curtains open where people can see in. Get a big "BEWARE OF DOG" sign for the back gate, leave your dog's poo in the yard, and get a big log chain as a tie out to make it look like your dog is 200lbs.