1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holeshot device for ur race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by nemo cockrell, Mar 19, 2011.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I spent a lot of evenings at the local drag strip with my street bikes during the years before I started doing track days. Never had to replace a single clutch plate. And I was getting pretty good times. Probably could have gone a c*nt hair quicker by not taking good care of my bikes, but it wasn't worth the trade-off to me.

2. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

I love u guys!!

3. Ok, my lack of experience with motorcycles (and the fact that i have never even sat on a dirt bike) is showing........because i have no idea what this thread is even about. :confused:

When he said "holeshot device", i assumed he was talking about launch control.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Chris, if you ever watch an SX race on TV you will see th riders and mechanics push down on the front end at the start line. They are locking the front end holeshot device. It pulls the front end down and holds it (much like drag racers use straps to hold down the front end on street bikes). It makes the bike easier to launch and less likely to wheelie.

when they hit the brakes though, and compress the front end, the device lets go (where drag race straps stay strapped). So it helps the launch, then does nothing the rest of the race

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

am i the only one thinking about how slow you would have to putt around on the warm-up lap? :confused:

7. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Wouldn't matter. You'd be off the bike by turn 2 anyway.

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

While we are on this whole launch control/ holeshot topic:

is there a list of bikes that comes with launch control from the factory?
    which kit ECUs have launch control as an option?

Been curious about that for a while now.

Thanks

9. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

exactly...the bike would be nearly un-rideable when it came to actually turning.

I've ridden a bike with straps, it sucked doing anything but going straight. There's a reason motogp and WSBK don't use the holeshot setup from a dirtbike.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Spouting off a bunch of happy happy bullshit from self help books is the high road? I thought when you said high you mean compared to low not compared to un-stoned.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who is this mythical they that exists in the tech forum and nowhere else?

I understand how it works. It's not like this is rocket science here...

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

roadrace bikes have 25-35mm of sag, stiffer springs, and lower center of gravity. Dirt bikes have 100+mm of sag, softer springs, and a much higher center of gravity. These things make a wheelie way more likely on a mx bike. The obvious has been pointed out that ya can't have a dozen people rush out to the grid following a warm up lap to assist in latching the holeshot device. Holeshot tabs are tough to lock by yourself on a mx bike, it would be impossible by yourself on a rr bike. RR bikes are on the verge of nervous already in regards to geometry, a warm up lap with one already locked down would be pretty scary ..
    Good throttle and clutch feeding can make for some good 60' times without pulling the front down a couple inches. Yes, they strap the front down in drag racing, but if all goes well ya don't have to make any turns during the pass :)

13. Thanks for the explaination Joe :up:

Cool idea for dirty bikes, not so much for ours.