1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holeshot device for ur race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by nemo cockrell, Mar 19, 2011.

1. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

Well im coming from a Supermoto background and we all run hoelshot devices..just like the sx guys..now that i found some speed and some motor this year i have been looking at anything that will give me just a bit more..i have been thinking of mounting one but prolly two holeshot devices on my r6..anyone seen anyone else do this..? my really good freind is a custom fabricator and an old aviation welder so i have some awesome resources..let me know what u guys think?:up:

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I mentioned this a few years ago (just the idea, I dont have the means for it) wondering why nobody did it. I cant recall the reasons, but it was mostly scoffed at as a bad idea. BUT, with that said there are many things over the years that people scoff at until someone tries it.

3. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Nemo- You could start in the back and stall and still have a chance to win. You don't need any more help!!
    :D

4. nemo cockrell

what's up lizard where u been? how u been? idk about that..these cmra races are turning into ama warmups for these guys..

5. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Dirty bikes have a lot more suspension travel so the benefits of the Holeshottymajig are quite pronounced.

Dirtybikes also have a much softer suspension, with a gagglef*ck of bikes going into turn 1 in a road race you may not have to or be able to brake hard enough to get it to release. How long would it take to get to a braking zone where you can get it to release?

If you set it to a position where it will release more easily, how much will you actually be dropping the front? 1"? Is that worth it?

Questions i have!

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

The lack of braking is of a concern really. I think it can be benneficial for the launch, but take Tally for example. On a decent launch I dont touch the front brakes until the bowl in the back, so I would have to go through T1, then the right hand bend up into 4th gear likely with the front end "strapped" down. That might get sketchy :eek:

7. nemo cockrell

i have thought about that forsure..but i definately think a couple tenths off the 60 foot time is worth it..on a long straight we are talking about almost half a second..half a second can be alot of positions on a race track..it can be just enough to win the whole race..i have been through a corner at about 80 with one set that didn't let go but it just felt the same..the first half of the stroke is pretty easy to break through..with that said..just say you would strap half so maybe 2.5 inches or so...i think it would release really easy..prolly with out the brakes at all just a chop of throttle and turning in..

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um.... How about no?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hit a drag strip. You'll do more than buying something that can screw up and put you down will gain you.

10. nemo cockrell

prolly right sean..

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well simply it's not legal for SS no matter what. It's not necessary. It's spending money on something just to spend money and say you have a part added to your bike to be cool. If you want a good 60' time, go to the strip and learn how to start your bike properly.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2 words

launch control

13. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Fork travel for most sport bikes would bein the 120mm range. Your static sag is probably around 25mm leaving you 95mm of travel to bottom or about 3.75".

If you strap it to half the remaining travel you'd drop the front less than 2", which would lower the CofG less than 1". Running 1 liter less fuel would probably make a bigger difference than that. Learning how to launch your bike properly would definitely make a bigger difference than that.

If you can't launch it holding the front wheel about 1/2" off the ground, then it's your riding ability (not the bike) that is limiting your performance on the start.

14. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

Two words...
    Right wrist
    Ball sack
    Either one should work.

15. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

I'll agree
    - hit the drag strip and you'll find out how bad you really suck at starts :D
    - Holeshot device would be a waste of time with so little suspension travel

* Best solution.......... Stroker mtr

16. nemo cockrell

Nobody said I was a bad starter.. I just look for every advantage possible..

17. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

I saw your starts and trust me....... Just kiddin, I didn't mean it that way, I was referring to myself, I used to get a few good starts and thought I was pretty good off the line, a few yrs later I went to the dragstrip a few times, lets just say I learned a few things :D

18. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

wtf is a holeshot device

19. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing as you earlier today.

I typed in the words "holeshot device" in google, and a thread come up from thumper talk, explaining everything you would need to know.

It was probably the first the link. It was really easy to do this. I do this alot with things i'm unclear about, the internet generally will provide you the answers, if you try just a little.

20. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

thx! yea i dont know about all that on a roadracing bike. seems like if it failed it wouldnt end to well