1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holeshot device for ur race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by nemo cockrell, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

I always had one on my mx bikes and when I first got back into rr thought about it. Watch the sx races on tv, every single bike on the line has one. it was one of those things when people first started using them you heard the same kind of comments people are posting here. And yes if you could get it to work it would help the launch. And for you people talking about getting on the brakes, they dont need brakes to release. as soon as you come off the line just the weight coming back down on the front wheel releases them. I think on a sportbike it would be too difficult to latch it on the grid without help though.

2. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

You know try it out. Fab it up run out to hallett n try it out. If it works great if not I hope you dont go down. You will def need some help getting it locked down but im just not sure if you will be able to get it unlocked. Maby the shock from the wheel being loaded when the tire comes back down from the start will do it. Just be safe when you try it.

3. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

We will test it without anyone else in the track and I'll put the camera on it to record our test to see if everything's as good as it can be..tha ks guys

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again, I know more than enough about race bikes and racing - and the simple fact is it could easily hurt you and you'll get more advantage by doing test and tune nights at a strip.

So yeah, you've made up your mind, congrats. You and Gene trying to negate what people have said here is just stupid since the only reason is you just don't like what you're being told. It still doesn't change that is it not necessary on a street bike and could easily be dangerous.

As I said, I know enough about bikes and racing, and I'm telling you flat out it would not be legal in WERA. Period. Along with a whole lot of other stuff that I don't need to see used to outlaw that are great on dirtbikes.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly - a street bike it different. Different suspension travel different needs. Yes - if your front comes off the ground it would release, and with the shorter stroke and much heavier springs what happens when your front end shoots back up? What happens when you hit a bump mid t-1 and it releases then because you didn't loft the front on the start?

6. Crackhead

Crackhead Expert

Yeah Nemo, listen to the man who says racing is 100% safe if you ride slow enough. :D

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Mongo, you sure have a lot of patience sometimes:up:

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

So here's my favorite part. A fellow with a WHOLE 16 months of road racing experience believes he might have "discovered" an advantage that factory teams in GP, WSB, AMA, and many other national series haven't investigated, and discarded. I add discarded because no one is using them right now. If it were truely an advantage wouldn't they have it already? The OP seems to act as if no one in a professional road race team knows anything about MX/SX technologies that have been around for at least a decade. Interested to see how the experiement goes.

9. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Well if you're going to try it, have you thought about using a simple selonoid to activate it?
    I'm sure the whole concept is possible but doesn't seem worth the effort especially since it wouldn't be legal. An electronic quickshifter would also help but again, illegal. Once some of these things are made legal then everyone has to have it, too much $$$ and hassle.
    Keep it up and we'll have robotic moto gp :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you guys see the Moto GP race? Rossi must have used the holeshot device! That was an amazing start. :D

By the way, what the hell is a holeshot device? :confused:

11. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Motocross guys use them for starts. It ties down the front end somehow.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's an MX thing to lock the front suspension down on the start to decrease wheelies. Same idea as street racers strapping down their front with a tie down then removing it for the ride home.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are they used in drag racing?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't think so, but they can totally compress the front by modifying the suspension overall and leave it which isn't viable for roadracing.

15. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to take the high road here. Good luck to me. :)

Only one of the posters had actual experience with these devices and he was kinda positive about it and he mentioned some potential problems. Nemo wanted a discussion. There was none, which is typical. You'll shoot your eye out kid !! Is mostly all he got. :D Typical.

I'm a bit scarred of late. I just posted on a couple of message boards about buying an airplane. They are pissed because I am looking a different airplanes than the one they TOLD me to buy, the one they said is best for me. It seems free thought is outlawed these days.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There was discussion - the upshot as that it won't work as streetbikes are nothing at all like MX bikes with regard to front suspension. It's a simple fact. Saying go ahead and try something that won't work and could hurt you is just stupid sorry. If someone is checking to see if a gun is loaded by looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger then yeah, they're going to shoot their eye out.

Cute how you're trying to equate this to your issues with not taking advice from people who may know a lot more than you but that's your problem, not the people telling you you're an idiot and not the people on this board.

17. etemplet

You might try posting questions like this in the Tech Forum. You'll get better responses to your questions, the rules are different there. :D

Give it a try and see what comes up? Ya never know. Someone may have tried it or have some great experience and input for you. LOL :up:

Take care and ride it like you stole it !!:rock:

18. etemplet

Actually, I've never made anything that didn't work and work very well. The reason I'm not a billionair is that I'm just plain lazy.

I figure a motived individual with the proper resources at his disposal can accomplish great feats. That's called free market enterprise. Nemo is on a quest. I don't think He'll shoot is eye out. If it can be made to work, I have every confidence that he will succeed. It might not be cost effective. If it is truly unsafe and unadapable, It think he will recognize that and not be ashamed that he tried. Not trying is true failure. YMMV

I took the high road again !! and I didn't think I could do it. Huraay for me !!

19. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

They might even understand how it works!

:eek:

20. etemplet

Yea, you got that right. Prolly a forum where they actually use those things would be better.

My starts are always crap. I keep saying I'm going to the drag strip but they tell me to bring extra clutches. I ain't tearin up stuff and working on it at the track. Being last is pretty cool, you don't have problems going through turn one and sometimes you see some pretty spectacular crashes.

That's gonna leave a mark. :eek: